The Absolute Sound: ENTRY-LEVEL INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER OF THE YEAR: NUFORCE DDA-10

wisnon

So this is a 50 watt amp that upon detecting a large transient will boost to 200 watts for the transient? That's pretty impressive.
No, you are mixing 8ohm specs and 4 ohm specs. Dynamic power at 8ohms is more like 130-140wpc.

wisnon

Out of all the positive reviews, up comes Srajan with a rare non-rave.  Gives me pause.

I know "traditional" solid state sounds best at higher output, but this seems to be much more serious.  Although Srajan seems to have tried hard to prove himself wrong about the DDA-100 I think the jury is still out regarding his review.  Perhaps his reference to early versus current production will prove to be the answer.

If no bit truncation occurs, why did Srajan find that it sounded so 2D at low to medium volume?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Congrats.

charles

ajayrav

I have one of these, and quite frankly, I'm very impressed.  I'm using an ART modified Squeezebox Duet coaxially into the DDA 100 and then on to Morel Octave 5.2Ms via Reality Cables speaker wire in my Living Room set-up.  Despite these being inefficient speakers (83dB/W/m) the Nuforce has no problem driving them, though I don't listen to music very loud here.  It replaced a Bel canto DAC3 paired with M300 monoblocks and actually competes extremely favorably...at a fifth of the price.  I was frankly, stunned.  I don't know what Srajan is talking about regarding a 2 dimensional presentation...it is anything but.  I bought it from Audio Advisor thinking I would probably have to return it, but no...it definitely is a keeper.  More later as I spend more time with it but the important caveat is that I typically listen to music at lower levels in the living room and haven't really cranked it up yet.

Ajay

wisnon

If you read Srajan's review, you would have seen that he suggested that very inefficient speakers like yours (83db) would sound better, because they would not have to run loud before surpassing the 2D flat sound threshold.

Unless you listen very low, you would not notice anything, while 90db speakers would have to be played quite loudly to be above the same threshold, which he surmised might be due to truncation.

Of course, it is possible that he got a lemon to review as well.

ajayrav

You are right.  Srajan did put that out there that below a certain level, the sound would be flat and 2D.  I need to listen to my other speakers through this amp, and see if that holds true.  Other reviewers however, have advocated the use of higher efficiency speakers to pair with the amp, and apparently it worked well for them.  Also, Srajan can hardly be accused of not liking the Nuforce 'house sound' since he has been fairly glowing of Nuforce amps up until now.  Maybe he did get a lemon....or it just didn't play well with other members of his reviewing rigs.

Cheers,
Ajay

wisnon

Could well be Ayay. Bit of a mystery.

I recommended this amp to a buddy for his 2nd system (Green Mountain Audio Diamantes- 88db) and he told me he would demo it. I will see what he says...