Bryston speakers

Datec

Bryston speakers
« on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:25 pm »
I am looking to possibly replace my current speakers in my 7.1 system. I have no real place near me to audition an assortment of brands, as I'm sure alot of people have limited access also.

With a variety of brands offering 30-45 day auditions is that something Bryston has looked into offering?

Bryston speakers have peaked my intrest and there isn't anywhere near me to hear them not even on the Net that I can find.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston speakers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm »
I am looking to possibly replace my current speakers in my 7.1 system. I have no real place near me to audition an assortment of brands, as I'm sure alot of people have limited access also.

With a variety of brands offering 30-45 day auditions is that something Bryston has looked into offering?

Bryston speakers have peaked my intrest and there isn't anywhere near me to hear them not even on the Net that I can find.

Hi Datec

No I am sorry we do not have the ability to offer in home auditions and I know it is very frustrating these days to listen to speakers in a dealer.  Honestly the ability of hearing speakers in a dealer setting is getting more and more difficult as dealers do not want to stock product any longer or provide space in their showrooms for speakers that are not already essentially presold due to their reputation.

best
james

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2022, 02:38 pm »
What's your budget?  If high enough a overnight road trip or even a flight could be justified versus making an expensive mistake.  Just make sure the place(s) you visit have the speakers setup in a decent room/system and give yourself plenty of time to audition with your favorite movies.  Limit yourself to 3 or 4 auditions per day to avoid listener fatigue and make sure to take notes. 

Recommend a 3-way center channel to eliminate phase cancellation inherent with MTM designs. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2022, 02:46 pm »
I do not want to get into a discussion here but there are no issues with our multi-driver systems. 

james

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2022, 08:18 pm »
You can ask if anyone owns Bryston speakers in your general area would be willing to let you audition. Maybe a long shot with everything going on but it never hurts to ask.  :D

GrooveControl

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2022, 12:38 am »

Datec

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2022, 03:21 am »
My budget is open but not bottomless. As it is now I am looking to change out the front L,C &R and would go into the $10-12k area for the 3 but not if I can't hear them 1st. I am looking to possibly replace Triad Inroom golds but they need to be more revieling and dynamic in my room which is a large multi task living space, 16x25 with 9ft ceilings.

I have drove 8hrs by myself and then again flew with the wife across the state to listen to these and others in the same range B&W, Klipch reference, Sonus Faber,  Wilson Audio etc. I live in Pa and have been to every audio store from Pittsburgh to Erie to Cleveland and they have mostly the regular name brand B&W's, Monitor Audio mostly and those stores are very few mabey 3-4 left. Most have closed due to the economy down turn regardless of what the news wants to spout. 

So while spending another couple weekends doing the drive or fly to audition thing isn't something I have a lot of free time to do right now and the "Covid" issues also pose issues too.

Currently the ones I'm interested in are different then what I have now, HEDD TM80, PMC, Bryston, JTR, Seaton to give you some idea of my thoughts.

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:20 am »
With regards to listening to Bryston speakers;

I have the same problem, no dealers in the area to audition, none in the entire state probably.  Nearest for me would be  Vancouver, Canada. However there is at least one Bryston approved online retailer.  They will ship a pair to you with a satisfaction guarantee provided you return them within 30 days.  However you are responsible for return shipping costs and any damage that may occur. Meaning they won't accept returns if damaged. There are other shipping requirements.  An option I suppose but I think you would have to be pretty desperate to audition them and role the dice if you didn't like them.  That having been said I've never tried it and I don't know anyone who has.  Probably the best plan is to follow advice and fly to where the speakers can be auditioned  But you still don't know how they will sound inhome.  Once the COVID is behind us I'll probably go to Vancouver or select a nice pair of B&W's stateside.

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2022, 06:31 am »
 I'm a Bryston fanboy and I have had my Model T passives for 8 years. I do not have them set up in the conventional sense due to my room, but use them by reflecting off the back wall. Sound silly right, but it works with these speakers. Do not know if another brand's speaker could image as well a the Model T's. So with the speakers 15' apart I get this beautiful stereo image that seems to project off the front wall, a wall of sound if you wish to call it that. IMO that is the strong point of these speakers on how well they image.

Using a Monster Power Conditioner that keeps the voltage steady at 120 volts. The bass on these speakers hit hard, what I call slam bass, I typically listen at 92- 95 decibels range. They still image well at lower volume but come to life when you give 'em the juice. Am using a Bryston 3B SST2 amp to power 'em.

When I demoed them at the Dealer IMO they clearly out classed other speakers in the room. Yet there were still those in the room that preferred other brands in the room. I shook my head in disbelief. So yeah I guess you should demo them we each have different likes and dislikes when it comes to audio.

Now with the Active speakers which I heard as well. IMO the bass was to die for, comparable to the bass you might hear in a state of the art movie theater.

Anyway Good Luck with your decision whatever you decide. 8)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2022, 07:03 pm »
I heard Bryston speakers at RMAF 2 or 3 years ago.  They sounded great with Bryston gear.  No fatigue, very smooth and dynamic.

I am in the same boat as the OP.  I want to upgrade my speakers and flew to Suncoast Audio in Sarasota Fla. just as COVID started to hit to listen to Fyne Audio speakers that I heard at RMAF.  I was planning on flying to St. Louis to hear the new Monitor Audio 5g 300 golds but put it on hold due to COVID.

If you can make it to Suncoast Audio in Fla., it is worth the trip.  Mike the owner carries all high end gear and is very helpful and honest.  No pressure or BS and he will help point you in the right direction based on your electronics, room and tastes.

I do not blame you on not wanting to buy speakers that you can't listen to.   I made that mistake with a pair of PSB T-1's.  They were not a good match for my electronics and were boring.  Eventually sold them to a friend.

Datec

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:48 am »
Thanks for the replys.

To give a better idea of what I currently have in my system. Marantz 8805 PrePro, Sherbourn 7-2100a amp running surrounds, Bryston 6bsst running front 3, all Analysis Plus wire and cables. Speakers are Triad In-room Gold front 3 and 4 On-wall Gold surrounds, SVS PB-12+ sub.

Not sure what the next front speakers will be, those will be the first change out in the system. But am open to even going into PRO monitor type speakers and might make a trip to Sweetwater PRO audio to get my ears on some PCMs and Adams. Hedd speakers also intrest me especially the Tower Mains TM80 but there is only 2 pairs in the country and they are setup in a recording studio which I am invited to come listen to and I just might do that just to hear them go. Closest pair is an 8.5hr drive but it might just ease my intrest even if they aren't my cup of tea but they sure look nice (to me anyhow), but if they are what I like I would try to be the 3rd set in the states.

But mabey looking at the PRO side is the wrong direction I have been pointed to. Mabey you guys could give me your thoughts on that?