Von Schweikert Audio VR-4SR MK3 Press Release

JackD201

Re: Von Schweikert Audio VR-4SR MK3 Press Release
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2009, 04:39 pm »
Politics  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look at the bright side. If there were many more of us we most likely wouldn't get the personal attention and service  :thumb:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2009, 05:12 pm »
Hi Guys,

Some day one discovers the VSA's as best partner to make music.

Cor

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2009, 08:10 pm »
Joe, not to change the subject, but what is the status of the VR-4jr Anniversary model? Still going to happen?

Thanks,

Gary

VSA_JOE

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2009, 05:58 pm »
Joe, not to change the subject, but what is the status of the VR-4jr Anniversary model? Still going to happen?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary, if everything goes as planned we all should be hearing alot more information towards the end of this year, I don't want to say much and keep everyone on the edge, but so far everything is on track.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2009, 11:13 am »
Thanks Joe.. Will the info be on the VSA website?

Dr. M

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2009, 04:26 pm »
Is there an upgrade path from the Mark II to the Mark III?

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
VR-4 SR Mk2 versus VR-4 SR Mk3
« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2009, 07:55 am »
Hello fellow VR-4 SR owners:

There have been several upgrades to the VR-4 SR Mk2 that have been implemented over the past year, called "running" production changes.

A) The new crossover design inspired by the "passive servo control" from the VR-5 Anniversary was the first change, starting in August of 2008. This crossover design uses the back-emf from the drivers to simulate an accelerometer using a feed-forward technique to linearize the total driver array's transient responses.  According to our beta testers, "audible improvements in coherence are ground breaking." This is perhaps the largest improvement to the VR-4 platform in a decade.
B) A few months later, in October 2008, Audax announced the availability of a new Nextel cone treatment, which was implemented on the VR-4's custom-built midrange driver. The Nextel coating improves the physical damping of the cone, reducing coloration to an amazing degree.
C) In June of this year, Scanspeak engineers convinced me of the superiority of the off-axis response of their new Wide Surround design using a circular ring of small Neodymium magnets, and A/B/X comparisons dictated that we upgrade the Mk2's Dual Ring tweeter to this newer model. On direct A/B comparisons, the Wide Surround version has an airier top end with a larger sound stage width.
D) In July 2009, based on recommendations from our beta testers, we have implemented the Triple Wall Laminate construction on all VSA speaker systems, including the VR-4 SR Mk3, in order to stay ahead of the competition.  See my article a week ago on this forum to learn about the positive sonic effects of increasing the cabinet wall damping with this new proprietary technique.  Overall clarity and transparency are vastly improved.

Since these four upgrades results in a completely different sounding speaker from the original SR and SR Mk2 versions, a "Mk3" designation was warranted.  As the driver manufacturers have indicated that we now have the "latest and greatest" versions of these respective units, no changes are foreseen for the next few years - the Mk3 is now officially "locked down."

SONIC DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MK2 AND MK3
Although owners of the original VR-4 SR are amazed that improvements could be found in this iconic design, the relentless R&D schedule at Von Schweikert and our fabricators leave no stones unturned.  Although it is quite true that the term "break-though" is often just a marketing slogan designed to increase business, the sum total of these four improvements to the VR-4 SR platform elevate the overall transparency and driver integration in a remarkable way.  Using the Quad 989 electrostatic speaker as our reference for "coherence" we believe the new VR-4 SR Mk3 is at the state-of-the-art level at its price point.

PRICING
Although the VR-4 has always featured a very high value proposition and a low price compared to the competition, it now seems that the VR-4 platform has gone from a "budget" high end speaker to a "no holds barred" design at its price point due to the increasingly higher standards of engineering in the industry overall.  In fact, it still amazes me to see a 7" two-way speaker selling for $26,000/pr due to the manufacturer's intent to produce the most transparent speaker design he can muster.  Since reviewers and jaded audiophiles seem to be spurring manufacturers to "top" themselves with each new model, our prices have gone up in a direct relationship to our cost. 

VALUE PROPOSITION
However, on a direct comparison basis with speakers selling at 3x its price, the new VR-4 SR Mk3 can be seen as a "super speaker" at a reasonable price when confronted with the latest $50,000 speaker on the market!

UPCOMING REVIEWS
Two magazines have the VR-4 SR Mk3 in house for review, so we'll soon discover whether these improvements are as dramatic to the reviewers as they have been to our beta testers.  Please contact Von Schweikert Audio at (951) 696-3662 for information regarding upgrade prices and lead times if you own an original VR-4 SR or VR-4 SR Mk2.

Happy Listening,
Albert Von Schweikert

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #27 on: 17 Aug 2009, 07:55 pm »
Hey Albert,

Please tell us that the VR5 Anniversary still beats the socks off the VR4 :bawl:

Gavin
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2009, 12:06 am by es347 »

JackD201

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2009, 07:29 am »

IME base line performance gaps will close the way the Mk.2 closed on the 5 SE but the difference is how far you can take them. I just finished up fine tuning the heck out if a 5 SE anchored system in our second showroom that's being baby sat while the owner's room is undergoing renovations and have again reached heretofore unattained heights. Meaning it turned out even the "old" model had a whole lot more to give and most probably has even more to give.

Right now the VR-5 SEs are matched up with Lamm M1.1 Monoblocks, an LL2 retubed with CV491 and e88cc mullard tubes all set on CMS Black Platinum and Grandmaster stands and cables are VSA Masterbuilt speaker cables like yours and Kubala-Sosna Emotion interconnects. The source is an Accuphase DP-78 and power conditioning is a Shunyata V-Ray. All PCs are Shunyata Pythons.

Inner detail is astounding. Delicate and absolutely grain free. Near limitless extension in the 30sqm room with the 5s set up along the wide wall. Wraparound soundstage with layering to die for. In a room this size (sorry Albert) there is no need for the 9s. Listening to Blank and Jones' Relax volume 3 which features the late Mike Francis the fillers between tracks of the coastline sounds of Ibiza's main beach I was engulfed by the sound of the surf and could even hear seagulls BEHIND me. Listening to Everything But the Girl's Acoustic I was surprised to distinctly hear a THIRD overdub by Tracy Thorn placed far rear left center. Something I only heard in the larger room occupied by the 9s the L2 Reference Preamp and the Emmlabs CDSD + DCC2 SE combo which also uses Kubala Sosna interconnects but uses Verbatim Signature speaker cables. While exerting delicacy with physical force what was most pleasantly surprising was the abundance of natural harmonic content even with these two commercial CDs. Just to check it out I played Vienna Tieng's Gravity from a CDR burned off of an AAC file I bought from the iTunes store. Check!  Still looking for the LP though. The CDR did get strident.

So why am I saying this here? Well in about three weeks I'm taking delivery of two pairs of Mk3s along with some other cool VSA stuff. I will burn with of these puppies in nonstop with an LSA Standard amplifier and I will compare the 5 SE with the Mk.3 with that to gauge the baseline performance. AFTER I will hook them up to the Lamm set up and see how far the Mk.3s can go as far as how easily minor system changes can affect the overall presentation by switching between interconnects or even just swapping out input tubes on the poweramps.

Just to be sure, I'll have my handy dandy RTA just to make sure they're level matched. :)

Jack

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2009, 05:27 pm »
So, apparently, logic would dictate that if the VR5SE outperforms the new MKIII then surely the Anniversaries would even more so.  I will stay tuned....thanks Jack.