X-3s are here

Shakeydeal

X-3s are here
« on: 22 Aug 2019, 10:42 am »
Received the X-3s yesterday. Just as has been mentioned previously, meticulously packaged and traveled without incident.

Out of the box, a little stiff sounding, but that's to be expected. Very good dynamics and transparency. They will need some hours, but impressed so far. I will knock the dust off them this weekend fer sure..........

Shakey

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: X-3s are here
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm »
cool!
 :green:

jazzman463

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2019, 02:46 pm »
NICE...Enjoy. I am starting to feel like you a week ago.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2019, 02:50 pm »
So any idea when yours are showing up?

jazzman463

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2019, 04:32 pm »
not yet... But I am ready, new Grado Gold cart./new (nos ) driver tubes for the Manley, new Morrow interconnects/and several War on Drugs albums....

RolandButcher

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:22 am »
Shakeydeal, how is it going with the X3s now that you've had them for a few days?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2019, 10:32 am »
I have about 25 solid hours on the speakers now. Out of the box, they were a little stiff but sounded pretty good. The potential was obvious.

Now that I have played around with position, further apart and more toe in, and have a few hours on them, I would say they are excellent performers. I am very happy that I took a chance on them. They are very engaging and dynamic, two things that are a must for me. And the bass is very similar to that of Danny's OB servo controlled subs. I know that things will get better with more break in, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Someone should start a thread for new X series owners to post their thoughts now that quite a few pair are out in the wild.

Shakey

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2019, 06:21 pm »
If you don't mind my asking, how far apart are they in the picture you posted, how far apart now, and is the measurement inside edge to inside edge, or center to center?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2019, 07:16 pm »
They were about 9 ft apart, center to center. Now 10 ft. apart, center to center.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2019, 08:58 pm »
Thanks!  My X-3s will be delivered Friday and I'll start with them in the same position as the previous Spatial speakers I had.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:10 pm »
Shakey-

Did you have your Klipschorn speakers in this room or are they in another part of the house?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:22 pm »
They are still in the room behind the listening chair.

They were set up in the corners behind where you see the x-3s now.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:27 pm »
They are still in the room behind the listening chair.

They were set up in the corners behind where you see the x-3s now.

Being completely different speakers are they alike in any way, particularly in regards to soundstage and imaging?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:38 pm »
The x-3s are more holographic, but the khorns have a little wider soundstage. They are very similar when it comes to dynamics, which is high praise for the x-3s since this is where the khorns shine.

Shakey

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:42 pm »
Very nice! Thanks for the reply!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2019, 10:08 pm »
Very good to hear you say they compare favorably with your khorns for dynamics.  I've always been fascinated with khorns and wondered what they would be like to live with.  Also noticed from your gallery you had GR Super Vs, so I'm glad to read the X3s have bass that's very similar to that of Danny's OB servo controlled subs.

guf

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2019, 01:36 am »
yeah Shakey you have the experience in the greats of non traditional speakers.  Respect.

bbybaudio

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2019, 07:12 pm »
Have got about 105 hrs on the X5s and they are really impressive. For those that have asked about bass response, remembering that the subwoofer on the X5s is different than the X3s, it is great! Just finished playing "This ones for Blanton" on vinyl, and I can discern every upright bass note. On a 5 string bass that is only down to 31 or 33 hz. I did play some organ music and had the floor and sofa rumbling hearing low frequencies I have not heard in that room prior. Cannot emphasize how wonderful these speakers sound.

bbybaudio

« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2019, 07:15 pm »
And of course, if Ray Brown was playing a 4 string bass on that album, then only down to 40hz or so.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #19 on: 22 Sep 2019, 10:43 pm »
The X3 has the most pitch correct, defined bass I have ever heard in my room. But it has all the other "goodness" too.....

Shakey