Apple TV & Tidal app - issues.

Theronbo

Apple TV & Tidal app - issues.
« on: 7 Nov 2020, 04:11 pm »
First, the Tidal App on Apple TV kinda sucks.

I mean it’s noticeably better quality than Apple Music. But, overall browsing & navigation & managing playlists is far superior on Apple.

The Tidal app is really merely a playback tool.

Worse, everytime I navigate to another screen within Tidal... it disconnects from the amp briefly....

Well, most times. Sometimes it doesn’t... sometimes it’s not brief & I have to power cycle the amp & Apple TV device.

Frik’n annoying.  None of the other music apps do this. Admittedly, neither Spotify or Amazon play videos...

So, I don’t think it’s an issue with my hardware. Just a poorly implemented app.

I have Tidal on Amazon Firestick 4K, definitely better behaved there... but much lower db (I have to crank the amp more for same level of sound).  But, none of the disconnect behavior.

Also Tidal on iPhone using Airplay to the Amp works fairly well. But, crummy display on TV then.

wdlvwdlv

Re: Apple TV & Tidal app - issues.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2020, 04:37 pm »
Which Apple TV are you running? V3 or V4 or V4K? Also, check your WiFi, make sure you're on the same signal. I say this if you are running dual bandwidth 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz, make sure you are on the same one or disable the one not used.

Also, try a wired connection for the Apple TV to the network. Oh, and don't forget to reboot...

Lastly, can't comment on disconnections while in app but thought I'd share the bandwidth tips.

nickd

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2020, 04:45 pm »
Yep, Tidal sound is pretty good. The App is crap.
On Sonos, the integration is pretty good. But I’m sure Sonos does their own programming.
I’ve been thinking about switching to Spotify or Apple Music for months just because the Tidal i phone app is so bad, but loosing saved tracks, albums etc. on my Sonos/tidal lists would really make it a chore.
Just my Gripes. I’m sure some people actually like the app.
Maybe it was only designed with android in mind?

Theronbo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2020, 06:54 am »
Apple TV 4K, the latest.

Model: A1814 64GB
TvOS 14.02 latest

I can’t tell which version of Tidal I’m running... as there is not settings option.

Theronbo

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2020, 06:22 pm »
Okay, fixed it.

Found a YouTube VDO on best settings for Apple 4K device connected to a 4/8k TV (have a Marantz SR5014 in between).

https://youtu.be/J_t_TXB_bGA

Guessing enabling the Auto Best Format in (Audio Video) section resolved this.

Don’t know why & wouldn’t have guessed it.

Simply made the changes based on their recommendations.

& the issue completely went away... which was nice. Cause it was extraordinarily annoying.

Found it was occurring in the Apple Music app too, just not as frequent or noticeable.