John Abercrombie film, “Open Land Meeting John Abercrombie”

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Has anyone seen this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3UQFY9_II

“An intimate portrait of a great guitarist, filmed near the end of his musical journey. Here we see John Abercrombie gigging with Gary Versace and Adam Nussbaum in Lichtenstein, jamming with Rob Sheps, Eliot Zigmund and David Kingsnorth in New York, teaching music students at Purchase College, talking guitars with NYC luthier Ric McCurdy, and hanging out at home with wife Lisa and Al the cat. Along the way John reflects, with characteristic good humor, on a creative life lived outside the mainstream and traces his story from his first encounter with an electric guitar onwards. Subtly combining and contrasting images and sound, director Arno Oehri achieves a fine balance between music passages and interviews. The films soundtrack includes, in addition to the live performances, selections from many of John Abercrombies ECM recordings.”

won ton on

Thanks for the link.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Here’s something interesting, something I hadn’t heard of, Abercrombie/Bruninghaus/Gurtu Live in Cologne, 1992 from a (bootleg?) album on the JZM label. Unfortunately can’t be found anywhere. Hmmm. Too bad, great stuff. Reminds me of Abercrombie’s work on Dave Liebman’s truly fantastic ‘Lookout Farm’, a fave.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQC6B9FIGY

Strangeband

I have not seen this film but plan to.

BobM

I absolutely love Rainer Bruninghouse on all the Eberhard Weber albums. I remember reading once that Lyle Mays, from the Pat Metheny Group, said Ranier was one of his primary influences. I can certainly hear that in both their playing.

Listening to this now as I type. Beautiful - Strange - Compelling.