Ladder chipless DAC for the GG?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Ladder chipless DAC for the GG?
« on: 22 May 2016, 08:49 pm »
I guess I've been behind the lampizator news.  Can someone give me an update?  How does it compare to the Delta Sigma chip in the GG.  Upgrade cost?  Thanks.

wisnon

Re: Ladder chipless DAC for the GG?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2016, 10:27 am »
R2R PCM has been around for a few months now.

Latest I heard is that it can do DSD as well. Biggest news is that the latest Firmware version takes PCM off the chain!
Given R2R PCM and DSD, its possible to have a mixed playlist with no clicks+pops changing between DSD and PCM.

Euro prices here:
http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/PRICE_LIST.html
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 08:11 am by wisnon »

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2016, 05:51 pm »
Thanks.  But can the GG DAC accept the R2R board? It already does DSD without a chip.

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2016, 08:13 am »
Thanks.  But can the GG DAC accept the R2R board? It already does DSD without a chip.

Not sure I understand the question. I have a GG Dac with the R2R board (PCM only) and Al has one in his HeadDac.

Yes, you GG can be retrofitted with the R2R module and if you did, I would ask for R2R DSD as well, so as to handle mixed playlists seemlessly. I dont have that, nor do I have the latest firmware, which reportedly is "da bomb".

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2016, 11:12 am »
But at Lampizator they now say that their latest "chip" solution for PCM sounds as good as the R2R build for PCM. So unless the switching formats is an issue, it makes sense to buy chipless DSD along with chipped PCM.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2016, 03:40 pm »
Not sure I understand the question. I have a GG Dac with the R2R board (PCM only) and Al has one in his HeadDac.

Yes, you GG can be retrofitted with the R2R module and if you did, I would ask for R2R DSD as well, so as to handle mixed playlists seemlessly. I dont have that, nor do I have the latest firmware, which reportedly is "da bomb".

Hi Wisnon,

Correct me if I'm wrong.  The original GG DAC does DSD without a chip. I believe DSD processing is done using discrete filters, and people who have heard DSD on GG think its the best DSD sound out there (I haven't tried DSD on my GG, yet).   So is the R2R DSD upgrade better than what's already built into the standard GG?
Does the GG need to be shipped back to Europe to be upgraded or can it be done in the US?

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2016, 04:58 pm »
But at Lampizator they now say that their latest "chip" solution for PCM sounds as good as the R2R build for PCM. So unless the switching formats is an issue, it makes sense to buy chipless DSD along with chipped PCM.

Playlist switching is seamless with all R2R solution though.

R2R is better than old DS. New DS board (not just a chip but a whole PCB) was equal. R2R just got a firmware update, so did it edge ahead again? I dont know. However, DS is indeed cheaper....and excellent.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 03:24 pm by wisnon »

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2016, 05:00 pm »
Hi Wisnon,

Correct me if I'm wrong.  The original GG DAC does DSD without a chip. I believe DSD processing is done using discrete filters, and people who have heard DSD on GG think its the best DSD sound out there (I haven't tried DSD on my GG, yet).   So is the R2R DSD upgrade better than what's already built into the standard GG?
Does the GG need to be shipped back to Europe to be upgraded or can it be done in the US?

I heard that the R2R DSD is equal to the older chipless (like what I have). Not sure what can be done in the US vs Poland. All this is very new, so give it a month or 2 to settle...as wherever you send it, its better to get all done at once.

Lukasz is back in a week or so and I have all my questions lined up for asking. LoL

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2016, 10:48 pm »
I heard that the R2R DSD is equal to the older chipless (like what I have). Not sure what can be done in the US vs Poland. All this is very new, so give it a month or 2 to settle...as wherever you send it, its better to get all done at once.

Lukasz is back in a week or so and I have all my questions lined up for asking. LoL

Thanks. You're advice and help is always appreciated.

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2016, 01:23 pm »
There is a tech in NJ that does work for Lampi.  Maybe he does this as well.

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2016, 01:49 pm »
We've got two current PCM engines.   

One is the R2R ladder which is quite the excellent source and is capable of handling DSD.  It's not our chipless DSD, but it is still very good though our own dsd filter, especially the 256 variation has the edge IMO.  This solution is very difficult to implement in balanced so it is primarily for SE DACs and is a legitimate upgrade to all PCM engines before it with the exception of our other current PCM engine we refer to as 5924x. 

5924x sounds pretty much indistinguishable from R2R ladder, Lukasz believes a bit better, I'm not sure I could choose in double blind testing.  It's what we use in our balanced Golden Gates and is a PCM only engine.  DSD is handled by our own engines.   This is what I have on my personal Golden Gate believing it to be the more purist way of doing things.   

Both solutions are excellent and I've had numerous dacs (like 6 Golden Gates at once) with each in my home systems at the same time.  Parties owning one should not lust after the other. 

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2016, 03:27 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Gopher.

Just what we needed...actual listening experience and feedback.

Just to be greedy here...is it possible to have R2R for PCM and DSD and THEN also a separate chipless DSD engine in the same box.

That way one can get purist DSD if so desired and playlist ease from the R2R plyback when needed. Best of all worlds, though I am sure this will cost extra.
Hahaha

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2016, 06:02 pm »
So does the r2r ladder or 5924x upgrade make a bigger difference for existing Big 7 owners than say L4 owners with the previous pcm engines?

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2016, 07:32 pm »
I'd say they're a legitimate upgrade to all dacs.   I have a production sample of the first R2R ladder to enter the states which was built into an Amber/L4 hybrid and it's fantastic.

Norman,

I suppose that would be possible, but I don't know if it would be offered.

wisnon

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2016, 10:47 am »

Norman,

I suppose that would be possible, but I don't know if it would be offered.
Fingers crossed!