LampizatOr Big 7 - Reviewed by Aaron Kovics of Head Guru

Gopher

This fantastic review of our universally praised Big 7 DAC just hit the shelves today.

http://headphone.guru/lampizat0r-big-7-dac-dac-do-as-dac-does/

Well written, Aaron!  Thanks so much.   :thumb:

wisnon

Re: LampizatOr Big 7 - Reviewed by Aaron Kovics of Head Guru
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2015, 07:48 pm »
Wow, that picture is actually a HEADDAC. If he is raving so much, imagine if he had the VT99 driver Tube like AL has!!

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2015, 08:32 pm »
It is a great review.  I have heard the VT99 in an adapter on other amps, but never the Head dac.  It's a nice tube.  I am sure Lukasz circuit is optimized for how he runs it, but I actually prefer the C3G tube to the 6SN7 family when you are driving big DHTs for a headphone amp.  I cannot foresee buying a headphone amp/DAC, but I will totally contact Lukasz when I do.

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2015, 10:43 pm »
AL says the vt99 slays the 6sn7 completely.

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2015, 10:54 pm »
Ok.  But I was saying I don't like that family generally when it comes to drivers.  That includes the VT99.  I would say the 2C50 may be an exception.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:47 am »
AL says the vt99 slays the 6sn7 completely.

I have listened to a number of 6SN7s and 6F8Gs (VT99s).  They are very similar sounding.  And I don't think any of VT99s best the Tung Sol 6SN7 black glass round plate, even the 6F8G version. 

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:28 am »
I have to say that the experience I have is more recent.  I have been listening to headphone amps that use 300Bs.  I have not heard the Lampi version.  That said, I use the 12SN7/12SX7 for my driver tubes in my tube amps, but they are basically 6L6s.  Different tube than the DHTs these DACS run.  And I use the TS round plates on the amp. 

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:31 am »
Al tried many driver tubes 6sn 6L, etc and both he and Lukasz agreed that the VT99 killed the others. On top of that, AL used it in his Woo amps and said it killed the stock tubes in the Woos as well. I think WA5 and 22?

You have to ask him.

Lissnr

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2015, 03:07 am »
Great review Fred, thanks for the Head's Up... It's always great when any type of 'audioholic' goes bonkers over our beloved B7....(understandably so, of course). If I could side-track the thread just for a little readers' advice ?

I've been cruising a little for some fresh 300B's to alternate with my Sophia Carbons (Rectifier is EML 5u4G Mesh) and considering their (Sophia) 300B Mesh instead; any comments on how they may differ? I'm currently swimming in a transparent, well defined/articulate soundstage with utterly see-through transparency and precise imaging in a fairly first-few-rows perspective. In an ideal world I'd like to try a slightly more laid back viewpoint with perhaps a touch more warmth /golden glow while willing to give up a  little of the dazzling detail...[but not too much!]. Footnote FWIW: My system tends towards the classic double-edged sword of ruthlessly revealing the recording quality...great when it is, pretty tough when it's not...
Thanks in advance.

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2015, 04:26 pm »
I heard that Kron and Takatsuki 300Bs are good. I think i heard the same about Psvane WE replica 300B and TJ/Fullmusic 300B mesh  as well.

Kron should likely be the best price/quality ratio.

Berto

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2015, 05:55 pm »
I heard that Kron and Takatsuki 300Bs are good. I think i heard the same about Psvane WE replica 300B and TJ/Fullmusic 300B mesh  as well.

Kron should likely be the best price/quality ratio.

I own the Kron and TJ "SE edition" 300bs. I prefer the TJ SE 300b. So did all my room partners, since that is what we used at our two most recent shows... RMAF and Newport Ca.

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2015, 10:21 am »
I know the TJ are good, but am surprised they bested the Krons...just goes to show.