Lampizator and Turntables

bonzo75

Lampizator and Turntables
« on: 13 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm »
This thread is for Lampi B7 fans, wanted to know if you had/have a Turntable, or have compared the Big 7 to a TT (where you are also a seasoned TT fan), and if so, what were your observations, and which TT was it that you compared it to?

Thanks. Reason for the post is I am not interested in any other dacs or CD players. Have also compared B7 to a Trinity and I was very happy. so next thing in audio is, what can a TT do better than a Lampi, if at all, especially on classical and opera? I am a TT noob

sfox7076

Re: Lampizator and Turntables
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2015, 02:38 pm »
I think that a properly set up high end turntable with a great cartridge, all of the associated cabling, a good phono preamp, a good pressing of the recording and a well cleaned record can best the Lampi Big 7.  You will spend $20k getting to a rig that can best the Lampi (a cheaper table (except maybe used or a Teres) isn't getting there), spend time setting it up, spend tons of time looking for proper pressings and cleaning the records.  And you will still get surface noise/pops...  Who has the time for all of that?  So, in other words, you can beat it, but it will become the bane of your existence to do so.

bonzo75

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2015, 02:42 pm »
Yes, but like any hifi addict I need a new journey.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2015, 06:56 pm »
To me, if you like the sound of records and reels no DAC will reproduce that.  On the other hand, who is looking for that.  Both analog and digital formats have their place in my system.

Geardaddy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2015, 07:04 pm »
great thread.  I love my 7 and feel its the closest digital product on the market to true "analog" sound.  That being said, I don't currently own a table but still want one.

I think results may vary based on associated equipment (particularly the transport and digital cable along with power conditioning, grounding, etc, etc).  The 7 alone with a crappy stock transport (computer) will not get it done.....

bonzo75

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2015, 07:33 pm »
Agreed, nowadays getting the transport, cables, HQ player and ripping right is as complex as setting up a TT. In fact I can buy a set up TT system someone has worked on for twenty years, while digital transports are evolving daily.

I am a bit bored with Lampi vs other dac discussions - call me opinionated but other dacs are not as good. So, let's compare the Lampi to high end TTs. Big 7 and GG only please

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2015, 08:10 pm »
I wonder how many people have high end TTs and a Big 7. 

I have a L4.5/G4 and a high end TT.  Frankly, the Lampi doesn't even compete even though I think the DAC sounds great.  I am also someone partial to analog sound.

advanced101

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2015, 08:29 pm »
It is good to see that I'm not the only one thinking about adding a TT.  :scratch:

I agree that under perfect conditions ($$ and time) Vinyl can sound better than Hi-res.

I will also agree that getting a Digital Rig to sound its best also takes $$ and time.  Depends on how deep you want to get in the hobby.  I envy the people that realize when something is "good enough". 

I would say in a perfect world one would have a nice Analog and Digital setup, why choose?

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2015, 08:47 pm »
Hopefully Gopher can weigh in as well on how Lampi compares to turntables he's had. IIRC, he's had some nice vinyl set-ups. And he certainly knows Lampi well.

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2015, 08:57 pm »
I would say in a perfect world one would have a nice Analog and Digital setup, why choose?

Exactly.

guf

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2015, 09:17 pm »
I had a L4g4 before my Big 7 and some decent gear to play it through. I went to audition some Well Tempered turntables with some high end gear and was actually disappointed compared to the sound I had. It's what pushed me to get a big 7. I was going to have to invest 7-10 grand just to get started before any records.
But
I have heard an analog system that was the sweetest sounding music listening session I've ever had....different than live, really special.
BUT with that said the owner of said analog system has heard my Big7 playing a DSD was very impressed with what it could do. Like others have said I agree that it can sound much better, its going to be expensive and I think its worth it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2015, 11:36 pm »
Comparing a dac (Lampi in this case which I do not own) to a TT is strange.  Turntables are a love, passion and a process.  Some love the whole thing and quite frankly, I do not.  So, I'd take a dac over it and actually do.  I haven't sold my vinyl as perhaps someday I'll go back to it again as the sound is different but digital for me is so nice. 

shahed

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2015, 11:47 pm »
Given that recording quality is the highest determining factor (may be along with room interaction) of sound quality in a system - isn't there a possibility that a particular album on vinyl may sound better than CD just because either the mastering was better or higher resolution master was used for vinyl? Commercially produced CD often times is subject to dynamic range/compression and victim of loudness war. The same album on vinyl - not so much. Ever wonder why? May be this is intentional knowing that target consumer for vinyl is more serious about sound quality etc..

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:04 am »
Comparing a dac (Lampi in this case which I do not own) to a TT is strange.  Turntables are a love, passion and a process.  Some love the whole thing and quite frankly, I do not.  So, I'd take a dac over it and actually do.  I haven't sold my vinyl as perhaps someday I'll go back to it again as the sound is different but digital for me is so nice.

You make some very good points.  Playing vinyl is a passion.  If one doesn't enjoy the act then it isn't worth it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:06 am »
Given that recording quality is the highest determining factor (may be along with room interaction) of sound quality in a system - isn't there a possibility that a particular album on vinyl may sound better than CD just because either the mastering was better or higher resolution master was used for vinyl? Commercially produced CD often times is subject to dynamic range/compression and victim of loudness war. The same album on vinyl - not so much. Ever wonder why? May be this is intentional knowing that target consumer for vinyl is more serious about sound quality etc..
I've heard and own some real shitty vinyl.  Just as I've heard great vinyl, I've also heard great digital.  It goes both ways.  Always has; always will.  I can appreciate both but my life (read - time) isn't conducive to vinyl at this time. 

Geardaddy

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:28 am »
I am a bit bored with Lampi vs other dac discussions - call me opinionated but other dacs are not as good. So, let's compare the Lampi to high end TTs. Big 7 and GG only please

Forgive me for the smugness but I agree....

Geardaddy

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:30 am »
I wonder how many people have high end TTs and a Big 7. 

I have a L4.5/G4 and a high end TT.  Frankly, the Lampi doesn't even compete even though I think the DAC sounds great.  I am also someone partial to analog sound.

Even though I don't own an analog rig, I share that sonic bias.  My hard core analog friends stratify things this way:  master tape>vinyl>DSD>PCM hi rez>Redbook. 

dminches

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:50 am »
Even though I don't own an analog rig, I share that sonic bias.  My hard core analog friends stratify things this way:  master tape>vinyl>DSD>PCM hi rez>Redbook.

That would be my order too.  It is really amazing how good master tapes sound.

vortrex

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2015, 03:20 am »
I had a L4g4 before my Big 7 and some decent gear to play it through. I went to audition some Well Tempered turntables with some high end gear and was actually disappointed compared to the sound I had. It's what pushed me to get a big 7. I was going to have to invest 7-10 grand just to get started before any records.
But
I have heard an analog system that was the sweetest sounding music listening session I've ever had....different than live, really special.
BUT with that said the owner of said analog system has heard my Big7 playing a DSD was very impressed with what it could do. Like others have said I agree that it can sound much better, its going to be expensive and I think its worth it.

Owner of said analog system has upgraded substantially since your sweetest sounding music listening session ever.

I think it says something about digital when those in that camp are trying to get their stuff to sound analog.  Ever hear of a turntable person trying to get their rig to sound digital?  I've heard a well done (with gear very similar to mine oddly enough) Big 7 system on a couple of occasions and it is very nice indeed.  However, I think any DAC is going to lack things that a good analog setup brings.  Since going vinyl is so much more expensive it's difficult to make a fair comparison $ for $.  $10k into a vinyl setup doesn't get you much.  If I only had $10k to spend I would get a DAC like the Big 7 and enjoy the simple life.  Maybe $20k into vinyl gets you at a level playing field, then it is vinyl without a doubt!  There are just too many pieces needed to compose a vinyl rig which makes these comparisons confusing.

sfox7076

« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2015, 03:32 am »
Forgive me for the smugness but I agree....

Time to tube roll then...