Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design

Badwater

Re: Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design
« Reply #320 on: 30 Dec 2018, 03:06 pm »
Plan on doing this build.

A couple questions:

The Dayton woofer has an fs of 50.5 fs vs mid 40s mentioned early in this posting. Has something changed?  Should I be looking at a different driver?

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-030-dayton-audio-pa255-8-specifications-46882.pdfP

The specified 1.4 mh inductor is currently not available from Psrts Express.  Can I substitute a 1.5 mh inductor with minimal impact?

Thanks in advance for your help.  This looks like a great project.

Bill

matevana

« Reply #321 on: 30 Dec 2018, 11:22 pm »
Hey Bill,

With a baffle this size, 10 Hz on the woofers low end will make little difference. Aside from listening in the near field, cancellation will set in before you would likely detect a difference. Yes, I would suggest opting for an inductor one size larger (not smaller) if you have to make a crossover swap. 1.5 mH should be fine. Have fun!

Badwater

« Reply #322 on: 31 Dec 2018, 02:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I am off to the races and hope to have this done by mid January.

Badwater

« Reply #323 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:38 pm »
They are finished!!  Very pleased with how they turned out, especially how they sound.  Great design... thanks for putting this out there.

RolandButcher

« Reply #324 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:41 pm »
Badwater, those look great!

matevana

« Reply #325 on: 17 Jan 2019, 07:17 pm »
Looks great in the room. Nice job!

Oktyabr

« Reply #326 on: 4 Jan 2022, 08:51 pm »
I just re-read this entire thread for the upteenth time over the last several years and one question still pops up in my head...

What if you had doubled your budget for this build? 

motosapien

« Reply #327 on: 2 Feb 2024, 02:56 pm »
I built mine without the woofer with the same baffle width and mid and tweet location and used the Golden Ratio for the height.  Using them near field with a Nelson Pass ACA amp kit and they sound wonderful.  I too wonder if using more esoteric drivers would increase the pleasure ( or just drain the wallet)?  After some thought, I do not think more expensive drivers would be a wise investment with this design.  it is very darn good just the way it is.  Using an 8" Yamaha NS-SW050 subwoofer and it works very well.

« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2024, 11:28 am by motosapien »