What tube amplifier taps to use with Daedalus speakers 4 Ohm or 8 OHms

A_shah

The Daedalus speakers I have are rated 6 ohms , my QS mono's have both 8 ohms & 4 ohms I seem to like the 8 ohms as they seem to be fuller and totally non fatiguing , can listen for hours on an end !  but at the same time when I use  4 ohm taps I find the Bass to be be very tight low end end very clear and layered
what do most Daedalus Speaker Owners prefer ? :scratch: :thumb:

Asghar

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I use 4 ohm taps with my 6 ohm speakers.  That will get you better bass for sure.  Also remember, if you have been using the 8 ohm tap for a while, when you switch to a 4 ohm tap, your amp will go through a small burn in process for a few days.  It's not as bad as when the amp is new, or if you replace tubes.  But it's real and might account for the slightly more rough sound you're getting from the 4 ohm tap.

cheech

I use the 8 ohm tap on either my Line Magnetic 518 IA, or Finale Audio 7189 MK2 integrated with my Argos V2s.  If my memory serves me correct I asked Lou for his opinion on 4 ohm or 8 ohm when I bought the speakers back in late 2015 and he suggested 8 ohm;  but then again I don't recall stuff that I thought about 10 minutes ago so I'll stand corrected if I misspoke

advanced101

I preferred the 8 Ohm taps on both the Line Magnetic 219ia and the EAR 509s.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Usually the 8 ohm is the better fit. Our crossovers present a VERY flat impedance curve (+/- 1 ohm above 100hz), this is very different from the majority of speakers. A typical 6 ohm speaker may run from 3-12ohms across the frequency range above 100hz where our 6 ohm systems range from 5-7 ohms and most of the time are spot on at 6ohms.  What I am essentially saying here is that experience with other systems as to impedance may not reflect what ours will do.
Hope this helps?
thanks,
Lou

A_shah

Lou
Thank you for chiming in ;  and everybody else , it looks like the consensus is 8 Ohms  :thumb: I also find that  8 Ohm  works best with my amps & Speakers , SQ is the same practically but find the 4 Ohm taps seems to give me tighter bass  :popcorn:

Asghar

displayname

I was going to say it really depends on the speaker, and amp so trust your ears. I personally run a different 6ohm speaker off a 4ohm tap.
But I'd also trust Lou in this case. Hard to beat a response like that. 

A_shah

I was going to say it really depends on the speaker, and amp so trust your ears. I personally run a different 6ohm speaker off a 4ohm tap.
But I'd also trust Lou in this case. Hard to beat a response like that.

That is exactly the response I was getting just about from  everybody else and also " which ever sound better" research on the Internet had the same answers , but I also knew that Lou's speakers are special - just looking at his cross overs in each speaker when Visited Lou , I knew these were something special , the woods the meticulous finish and sound that I find totally pleasing and non fatiguing - I have owned a few other floor standing high end speakers in the past 
Asghar

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Personally I prefer the 4 ohm tap for almost all speakers. At keast tbis is what i have found when using Lundahl transformers. Any amp I custom build for meself is always set up running off 4 ohm secondaries.