Clockable soundcard for MAC PRO

wappinghigh

Clockable soundcard for MAC PRO
« on: 20 Aug 2008, 12:50 pm »
Steve...

I think I have found a 24/192?? capable soundcard that can be slotted into a MAC PRO, is compatible with OSX leopard and that can also receive a word clock input from an external clock (eg like your pacecar)...this looks extremely promising...

I'm doing a bit more research on this (it's the Lynx AES16e : PCI-Express version) and have asked Chris on computeraudiophile.com if he knows any more...but it has a very complicated digital output (8 channel via 4 XLR) (I think!)Not sure a very good setup for mere mortals!

BTW Chris's site is thoroughly recommended..great new post on setting up a computer server either PC or Mac Pro based...

P.S. can I also be put on the "overdrive" waiting list so I can drive your new DAC with this ultimate "paced" MAC PRO server!..that is if I can find some way of connecting it!

AB

audioengr

Re: Clockable soundcard for MAC PRO
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2008, 09:30 pm »
Steve...

I think I have found a 24/192?? capable soundcard that can be slotted into a MAC PRO, is compatible with OSX leopard and that can also receive a word clock input from an external clock (eg like your pacecar)...this looks extremely promising...

I'm doing a bit more research on this (it's the Lynx AES16e : PCI-Express version) and have asked Chris on computeraudiophile.com if he knows any more...but it has a very complicated digital output (8 channel via 4 XLR) (I think!)Not sure a very good setup for mere mortals!

BTW Chris's site is thoroughly recommended..great new post on setting up a computer server either PC or Mac Pro based...

P.S. can I also be put on the "overdrive" waiting list so I can drive your new DAC with this ultimate "paced" MAC PRO server!..that is if I can find some way of connecting it!

AB

That sounds really cool.  I have some customers with Lynx cards using Pace-Car with word-clock at 24/96.

If this is Alex, you are on the waiting list now.

Steve N.

wappinghigh

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2008, 08:50 am »
Steve it is Alex, so thanks for putting me on the list.

I'm designing a new macpro server..and am contemplating using this card.
Still waiting from Chris re above points. In meantime concerning the "Overdrive"

1/ Will it do 24/192 straight through without upsampling?
2/ Does it have a pacecar built in ( I recall you were thinking of this with the Daytona)?

I definitely want an "overdrive", but not much point getting a 24/192 card if not useable with the "overdrive".
Might as well get a 24/96 card and clock that...

The other concern is the AES output on the card...but I have found a cable to interface this into a single AES input....the original F1 had an AES input. Have you dropped the AES/XLR input on the "overdrive"?

In any case this shouldn't matter, because the configuration I am planning is: Lynx AES16e<-> 24/192 Pacecar (connected via AES/XLR)<-> "Overdrive" (connected via I2S)...as long as the "overdrive" will do 24/192.....

send me a private email if you wish...

thanks again

AB
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm by wappinghigh »

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 05:33 pm »
concerning the "Overdrive"

1/ Will it do 24/192 straight through without upsampling?

Yes, but not through the USB port (24/96 max).  There is no upsampling in the DAC.

2/ Does it have a pacecar built in ( I recall you were thinking of this with the Daytona)?

No, it has I2S input to be used from an external Pace-Car.

The other concern is the AES output on the card...but I have found a cable to interface this into a single AES input....the original F1 had an AES input. Have you dropped the AES/XLR input on the "overdrive"?

Yes, no AES input.  There just isnt room on the backpanel for it, even replacing the S/PDIF RCA.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2008, 05:33 pm »
[

wappinghigh

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 09:02 pm »
Unreal....

then Lynx AES16e<-> 24/192 Pacecar (connected via AES/XLR)<-> "Overdrive" (connected via I2S)..is "go for launch"!

Can you remember any Forum discussions re clocking a Lynx 24/96 card? Or links to owners who did this?? Will have to look into in more detail..

Thanks again...very exciting potential set up.
AB

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2008, 09:41 pm »
Unreal....

then Lynx AES16e<-> 24/192 Pacecar (connected via AES/XLR)<-> "Overdrive" (connected via I2S)..is "go for launch"!

Can you remember any Forum discussions re clocking a Lynx 24/96 card? Or links to owners who did this?? Will have to look into in more detail..

Thanks again...very exciting potential set up.
AB

Yep, this will work.

Steve N.