Can I use 100 Ah 12V SLA Deep Cycle as PS for Off Ramp?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Steve,

Going fishing this weekend reminds me that I have one of these for a trolling motor.  Can I just charge it up and use it to power Off Ramp?  If I just cut the transformer off the stock PS unit, does it matter which wire goes to which terminal?

audioengr

Re: Can I use 100 Ah 12V SLA Deep Cycle as PS for Off Ramp?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2006, 07:31 pm »
Steve,

Going fishing this weekend reminds me that I have one of these for a trolling motor.  Can I just charge it up and use it to power Off Ramp?  If I just cut the transformer off the stock PS unit, does it matter which wire goes to which terminal?

Yes, you can use this battery with Off-Ramp.  The outer contact should be minus and the inside contact is plus.

Steve N.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:17 pm »
Steve,

Yes, you can use this battery with Off-Ramp.  The outer contact should be minus and the inside contact is plus.

Steve N.
Steve,

I looked at the cable -- which is inner and which is outer?  I see one line with gray lines and one without.

Thanks

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2006, 05:35 pm »
Steve,

Steve N.
Steve,

I looked at the cable -- which is inner and which is outer?  I see one line with gray lines and one without.

Thanks

I'm not sure.  You should use an ohmmeter to be sure.

Steve N.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2006, 01:24 am »
In my drawer full of old transformers I had one that fit the Off Ramp power socket.  I cut off the transformer and used an ohmeter to determine which wire is inner and which is outer.  Connected them to the battery and everything is working.  This BPS seems to smooth out the sound.  The highs are more real and the bass has more articulation.  The tinge of over-gaininess on the highs of some recordings are now more natural.  On bass, more information in terms of finer nuances of drumming and bass guitar play can be heard. 

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2006, 01:40 am »
It would be good to keep the wire from the battery short or solder a low impedance electrolytic across + and - right near the plug to the Off-Ramp.  I like to use 3300-4700 uFd at 25V.

Steve N.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2006, 01:50 am »
It would be good to keep the wire from the battery short or solder a low impedance electrolytic across + and - right near the plug to the Off-Ramp.  I like to use 3300-4700 uFd at 25V.

Steve N.

The wire is 6 ft from off ramp to the battery.  Do you mean that I should solder on a coupling cap of the value you specified between the wires at the off ramp end?

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2006, 06:37 pm »

Steve N.

The wire is 6 ft from off ramp to the battery.  Do you mean that I should solder on a coupling cap of the value you specified between the wires at the off ramp end?

6 feet is REALLY long.  I would do 18" with tightly twisted-pair.

Yes, the cap goes between the wires at the Off-Ramp end.

Steve N.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2006, 06:55 pm »
Steve,

Vishay/Sprague, Nichcon, Panasonic, BC component and more.  Is there a particular brand that is better suited for this task?

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2006, 08:22 pm »
Steve,

Vishay/Sprague, Nichcon, Panasonic, BC component and more.  Is there a particular brand that is better suited for this task?

I like the Nichicon UPW series or Rubikon's

Steve N.