Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
Re: Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!
« Reply #80 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:57 pm »
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've never seen anything cut through mold on vinyl like Windex. 

You can just spray it on, let it sit for about a minute and then wipe the mold off with a cloth. 

It's cheap and I haven't noticed it damaging the vinyl either. 

PeteG

« Reply #81 on: 19 Nov 2007, 06:36 pm »
I’ve been using AI 3 step cleaning solution and so far it’s been the best I’ve used so far
with my VPI 16.5. I use a different disc doctor brush for each step. So far very clean and pop free sound
even on used LPs.

http://www.audiointelligent.com/

Jazz-Vinyl

« Reply #82 on: 19 Dec 2007, 04:26 am »
I use the Disc Doctor method described here:

http://www.discdoc.com/p14.html

Works very well.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #83 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm »
after further review i have changed my system of cleaning lps from my earlier post. knowing that vinyl is my choice for serious listening  i broke down and got a VPI 16.5 and boy am i glad i did. after using my manual method the ease of a RCM is priceless. i now use Walkers prelude system. also a extra mat and vac tube, clean lps go into a mfsl jacket. the only negative is the static induced by the RCM has to be dealt with. if vinyl is your thing get a RCM you wont be sorry.

strider

« Reply #84 on: 15 Mar 2008, 05:50 pm »
Here's what I've had good success with lately.

1. apply a bead of MoFi Super Deep Record Cleaner, spread with a Mofi brush and let it soak for between 15 seconds up to a minute, depending on how dirty it is.

2. steam clean the record for 2 revolutions using a Shark steam cleaner with distilled water

3. scrub with the Mofi brush (eventually I'd like to have 1 brush to spread and 1 to scrub)

4. steam again, then vacuum with my KAB EV-1 RCM

5. apply a bead of Mofi Record Wash and scrub with a Mofi brush

6. another vacuum with the EV-1, and repeat for the other side

As I'm almost out of Mofi fluids, I'm going to try a Tergitol solution. Recommended by the Library of Congress, and for the price of 2 quarts Mofi stuff I can make 250 gallons of Tergitol solution.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #85 on: 15 Mar 2008, 06:02 pm »

AliG

« Reply #86 on: 8 Apr 2008, 02:17 am »
Do any of you guys clean new records???

Upon reading the steam-cleaning thread on Audiogon, I have just grabbed a "Perfection hand Steamer" from a local Walgreen store. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lcrim

« Reply #87 on: 8 Apr 2008, 03:38 am »
Russell:
The major issue that the Gem Dandy has is the universal taboo against the use of tap water in cleaning records. 

lcrim

« Reply #88 on: 8 Apr 2008, 03:41 am »
AliG:
You haven't heard the urban legend of "mold release" on new records?

AliG

« Reply #89 on: 8 Apr 2008, 03:58 am »
LOL!!!  "Mold release!"????! :o

I was looking at LAST Factory website, they certainly recommend people to clean NEW records. I ordered a few expensive new LPs ($50 each), not sure if I should clean them or not.... :scratch: :scratch:

AliG:
You haven't heard the urban legend of "mold release" on new records?

lcrim

« Reply #90 on: 8 Apr 2008, 05:03 am »
The vinyl used in pressing records has a number of additives that allow it to be "worked" more easily.  At one time, it was thought that some mold release agent was sprayed onto the small pucks of vinyl that were then pressed between the masters to allow the record to release cleanly.  Well, there is nothing sprayed on the records, it doesn't happen.
It is believed by some that the agent is part of the compound being pressed.  Why it migrates to the surface is without explanation.  I don't believe that there is mold release agent left on the surface of the pressed LP, but if you do, it would make sense to clean it, the concept of a residue left on the record also helps to sell more cleaning compounds.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #91 on: 8 Apr 2008, 05:43 am »
Russell:
The major issue that the Gem Dandy has is the universal taboo against the use of tap water in cleaning records. 

That notwithstanding, it appears to be incredibly effective, but then I use tap water all the time. I guess I'm not all that fussy - although the tap water around here is pretty clean, I think.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #92 on: 8 Apr 2008, 07:16 am »

I was looking at LAST Factory website, they certainly recommend people to clean NEW records. I ordered a few expensive new LPs ($50 each), not sure if I should clean them or not.... :scratch: :scratch:

I thought I had clean records with my prior regimen, then I added the LAST Power Cleaner in the past year....wow, a nice surprise was even cleaner sounding records.  I also use LAST Record Preservative and Stylast.....I really love their stuff.

Many years ago I represented Trackmate(tm) in the US (they made record, CD, VHS cleaners...and still do for folks like Radio Shack) and the then-owner Joe Fritsch (who invented the cassette cleaner while an engineer at Allsop) told me the LAST chemicals are first rate...even if their application methods were a little poor. 

He tried making a deal with the LAST folks back then, but they have always been a bit iconoclast in their methods.

Nonetheless, the LAST stuff is great and I've been using them for 20+ years now to good effect

John

AliG

« Reply #93 on: 8 Apr 2008, 08:54 pm »
John (TheChairGuy)

Look what you have done :duh: :duh: :duh:

I just ordered LAST thanks to your endorsement of their products... :thumb:

I got one question, how frequent do you have to use the power cleaner to treat each record?

Thanks.
barry

I thought I had clean records with my prior regimen, then I added the LAST Power Cleaner in the past year....wow, a nice surprise was even cleaner sounding records.  I also use LAST Record Preservative and Stylast.....I really love their stuff.

Many years ago I represented Trackmate(tm) in the US (they made record, CD, VHS cleaners...and still do for folks like Radio Shack) and the then-owner Joe Fritsch (who invented the cassette cleaner while an engineer at Allsop) told me the LAST chemicals are first rate...even if their application methods were a little poor. 

He tried making a deal with the LAST folks back then, but they have always been a bit iconoclast in their methods.

Nonetheless, the LAST stuff is great and I've been using them for 20+ years now to good effect

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #94 on: 8 Apr 2008, 09:05 pm »
Barry,

The LAST Power Cleaner is a once and done treatment...1x only per record.  Subsequent wet cleaning and you need only your everyday fluid of choice.

For 'everyday', I've used LAT International's Kleer-Disc stuff with a gallon of distilled water from any Grocery...it works very well, I have zero complaints (and is comparitively cheap vs. many others out there):http://www.latinternational.com/index.php/product/kleer-disk.html

If the LAST stuff ever didn't provide, I have a BIG mouth, I woulda' told the world :lol:  You're in capable hands and products with LAST  :thumb:

John

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2008, 10:56 pm by TheChairGuy »

AliG

« Reply #95 on: 9 Apr 2008, 08:01 pm »
John,
  Thanks for the suggestion on Kleer-Disc!  :thumb:

I need advice on two more things:

(1) Brushes - Is it worth paying $40 for a pair of DiscDoc Miracle Record Brush??

(2) I need to find something like this:
http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HW-3008
  So I can fit it on my existing vacuum cleaner hose and manually vacuum off the fluid after I brush/scrub the LP.

I am not looking to buy RCM because I don't have 1000 LPs yet.. :lol:

Thanks for helping out!

barry

Barry,

The LAST Power Cleaner is a once and done treatment...1x only per record.  Subsequent wet cleaning and you need only your everyday fluid of choice.

For 'everyday', I've used LAT International's Kleer-Disc stuff with a gallon of distilled water from any Grocery...it works very well, I have zero complaints (and is comparitively cheap vs. many others out there):http://www.latinternational.com/index.php/product/kleer-disk.html

If the LAST stuff ever didn't provide, I have a BIG mouth, I woulda' told the world :lol:  You're in capable hands and products with LAST  :thumb:

John

Brad

« Reply #96 on: 10 Apr 2008, 01:06 am »
(OT)
Barry,

If you are into classical at all, I can get you started with some nice vinyl....
get you on your way to 1000+

AliG

« Reply #97 on: 10 Apr 2008, 01:31 am »
Brad..once I got my TT setup....(will take a few weeks because I'm still waiting for the Modwright Phono stage.)..  I'll come by and borrow some LPs from you. There're just so many classical music floating around... every Tchaikovsky/Beethovan/Mozaart seemed to have been performed by 100 different composers. I just can't sample them all.. :duh:

(OT)
Barry,

If you are into classical at all, I can get you started with some nice vinyl....
get you on your way to 1000+

TheChairGuy

« Reply #98 on: 13 Apr 2008, 03:02 pm »
Barry,

Don't know on the $40 brushes...I use 20 year old brush from a Trackmate cleaning system.  You just need something soft (cotton), not too absorbent and lint-free...others probably have good ideas to save you $40.

I've tried many cleaning regimens, but nothing has equalled a record cleaning machine (mine's the cheapest Nitty Gritty...they ALL work more or less).  Kleer-disc or anything else works best with a RCM (record cleaning machine). 

The cheapest option is KABUSA.com....who buys Nitty Gritty cleaners without a motor inside and you supply your own vacuum.  It think it's $159 now.  You'll find using a vacuum method is invaluable to vinyl playback....once the groooves are cleaned thoroughly, your infinitessimally small stylus point will dig out more signal embedded in those grooves. 

The distance between Redbook and vinyl grows ever wider in superiority when you go vacuum in my case.

AliG

« Reply #99 on: 2 May 2008, 04:02 am »
I've just received a bunch of new (sealed) records, and they all clicks and pops, so now I'm sold on the "school of thought" that cleaning new records is a must! But I must admit that my first attempt at cleaning new records wasn't very successful, I used the LAST power cleaner to clean "The Best of Diana Krall" LP but surprisingly it didn't kill the pops. This weekend I'm going to start steam-cleaning, I just picked up a PERFECTION steamer from Walgreen for $19 (with rebate), what a deal! :green: