Speaker pop when powering on/off

Yomaha

Speaker pop when powering on/off
« on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:30 am »
I thought I'd ask the forum for advice here. I recently got a used AVA SL insight+ pre (no phono) and a synergy 240 double die. The combo sounds excellent even with my modest source, rega rp-1, and even more modest ancient polk S6 speakers. I also have a bellari vp-130 phono tube pre.

I have tried every tried every possible power up / power down sequence, and I still get a very pronounced "pop" in both speakers when I toggle the power amp or record player (with amp on). I am in the process of upgrading speakers to KEF ls50's (until I can afford the SCST's) and I'd like to get the pop out before the new speakers get here. This could very well be operator error. Any feedback to solve this is welcomed!

All pieces are plugged into the wall separately. I initially had the record player power plugged into the pre amp and still had same issue. Other than the pop I am extremely happy with the sound.

TIA

Austin08

Re: Speaker pop when powering on/off
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:00 am »
1.My guess is both amp and preamp does not have soft start circuit build in.

2.Did you press mute on preamp when you touch the turntable arm?

Frank and Other members will correct me on this.

Ps, I don't own any of the products you have mention above

strat95

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:09 am »
I have AVA Pre and Amp and have upgraded over the years and the thud during switching on is normal.  You should be turning Pre on first and Amp second and shut down Amp first and Pre second.  I believe Frank has used circuitry to prevent problems should you power up or down out of the sequence mentioned.  With respect to the toggling the record player as you mention, do you mean you get a thud happening when using the input selector on the preamp to choose the record player?

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:18 am »
No issues when selecting inputs. Strictly when toggling on/off.

I usually do the following:

Power on phono pre
Power on AVA pre amp
Power on AVA amp
Power on Record Player

The pops always come from the Amp and/or record player. The AVA pre does not pop. The phono pre will pop if I power it on after the other components are on so I always turn it on first.

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:35 am »
When powering up the system, power on all of your source equipment first. Order doesn't matter. Power on the power amp last. This way, all of the source equipment that would cause a pop, did so without the power amp passing it on to the speakers. For system shutdown, turn off the power amp first. Wait a few seconds for the power supply to drain. Then turn off all source equipment.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:57 am »
Rega turntables are known for making popping sounds when turned on or off, because Rega decided not to put a capacitor on the on/off switch. The pop you hear is the make or break arc produced when the power to the motor switch is turned on or off. As Ron suggested, turn this on component on first before you turn the power amp on.

The preamp has a delay relay in it, to allow all of the components to stabilize before switching the preamp on. You will notice a "clic" about 10-15 seconds before the preamp becomes engaged. This relay is also connected to the mute, if you have a remote control. You should wait until the relay clicks on before you power the amp on. There should be only a very slight pop to your speakers then.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:06 pm »
As above, in pro audio:

The turn-on sequence.
a] Sources
b] Control units
c] Power amps

The turn-off sequence.
a] Power amps
b] Control units
c] Sources

Everything should be connected to the same AC power wall outlets.

With all other components dis-connected (AC power & interconnects) does the amp still pop?

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:54 pm »
The advice above is correct:

POWER AMP ON LAST so it cannot be on to amplify any on transient from equipment ahead of it.  Your Rega turntable appears to be the culprit.

POWER AMP OFF FIRST, and wait until its power supply decays, again so it cannot be on to amplify off transients from equipment ahead of it.

We build protection mute circuits into all our preamps and our power amplifiers have no significant on or off transients, but by turning your turntable on last or off first you are defeating our protection efforts.

To eliminate the on pop from your turntable if you want to turn it on later, after the system has been in use for a while, first mute the preamp with its remote control while you are turning the turntable on.

Frank Van Alstine

Yomaha

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:25 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I have tried the recommended sequencing and that helps the pop sound significantly.   The suggestion about muting before turning the turntable off Worked perfectly.

After having a coveted LP slung out of my hands by a spinning platter, I got in the habit of turning off the Rega before flipping sides on an LP. I'll continue to do that, but I'll be sure to mute first.

Thanks to all.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:16 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I have tried the recommended sequencing and that helps the pop sound significantly.   The suggestion about muting before turning the turntable off Worked perfectly.

After having a coveted LP slung out of my hands by a spinning platter, I got in the habit of turning off the Rega before flipping sides on an LP. I'll continue to do that, but I'll be sure to mute first.

Thanks to all.

You might try putting a 0.05/1 KV ceramic capacitor across the Rega Switch. It would also be interesting to see how much pop the TT power switch makes when you are on an input other than the phono. I suspect the cartridge is picking up some of the switch pop. Ceramic caps are the best choice for this application.

Turning the volume down or muting the preamp should have a similar effect in reducing the pop if it is cartridge pickup.

rcag_ils

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:58 pm »
My two AVA amps are connected to an active crossover, doesn't matter what sequence you use, there's always a loud pop.

Now I leave all the power switches on, and plug all amps, preamp and source eq. to the same power strip, and use the on/off switch on the power strip to turn everything on and off at the same time, problem solved.