See you at AKFest '06

jsalk

See you at AKFest '06
« on: 15 Apr 2006, 07:01 pm »
For those of you within driving (or flying) distance from the Detroit area, we will be set up at AudioKarma's AKFest '06 in Southfield, MI next week-end (April 22nd and 23rd).

Here is a link to info on the event:
http://www.audiokarma.org/ak2006/index.html

AKFest 06' is sponsored by the folks who run the www.audiokarma.org site.  This will be our second year at the event and we're looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2006, 09:58 pm »
Do you know what you'll be bringing?

jsalk

Re: See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2006, 12:31 am »
Dennis -

Quote from: DMurphy
Do you know what you'll be bringing?

At this point it looks like my HT3/HT3's and HT1's.  I would bring more, but most people want to hear one or the other of these.

If I had HT2's ready to go I would bring those as well.  But I have yet to finish my demo pair.

- Jim

MaxCast

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2006, 01:57 am »
Put the drivers in a box and bring them  :wink:  no need for a fancy box.

Jim, I think you should have small samples of the finish you can do.

See you there.

Gordy

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2006, 03:53 am »
Hi Jim,

Maybe next year you can visit us out here on the east coast...
http://www.vacuumtube.com/vtv%20news.htm  8)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2006, 06:24 pm »
Sorry Jim, I won't have your AVA electronics available in time for this show, my hip replacement got in the way.

Frank Van Alstine

jsalk

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2006, 06:40 pm »
Frank -

Quote from: avahifi
Sorry Jim, I won't have your AVA electronics available in time for this show, my hip replacement got in the way.

Frank Van Alstine

No problem at all.  Some things (such as a person's health) are far more important and we need to keep things in perspective.

I hope you are making good progress in your recovery.  My dad had the same operation a few years back.  I recall that his recovery took some time, but in the end he told me that if he would have known the results, he would have had it done years earlier.  He now plays tennis (which is good for an 80-year-old man).

I hope your recovery goes as well.

- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2006, 02:49 am »
How did this go ??? Good turnout....any comments ??? Thanks !! :D

MaxCast

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2006, 10:12 am »
It was fun.  More later. :D

MaxCast

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2006, 12:47 pm »
Went to the AK fest on Saturday and Sunday morning.  It was fun to get away and meet some people that hang out at AudioKarma.  There were probably about a dozen manufacturer’s rooms and a half dozen “personal” rooms.  Rooms where a couple guys brought in their systems and set them up for the weekend.  Those 1970-80’s solid-state guys are almost just as nutz as the tube guys :P

There were rooms by McIntosh, Manley, Tetra, Salk Sound, and Blue Circle to name a few and a couple dealers there as well.  It cost $20 for two days and included lunch on Saturday.
Pics here
http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3026&si=&page=1&sort=8&perpage=12&password=&ppuser=&what=&name=&=

Rooms I liked were:
Salk’s
Tetra speakers/Roland power
Harbeth speakers/?
MacIntosh gear rocks, speakers very good but, $$

Equipment that didn’t do it for me:
Zu Speakers – cool cabinets
Maggie 1.6 (never heard them, almost bought a used pair)/AR power
Vandersteen 2C/ a rack of cool vintage Pioneer gear, modded Spec 2 amps

It was your typical hotel room set ups except with the added rooms of individual’s private systems.  It was fun to go into a room and listen to someone’s system.  Talking with them with the changes they made, how it improved, etc with out a sales pitch.  Great to have both, IMO.  The guy from Blue Circle was a hoot and took the pics above.  Didn’t like the speakers he was using though.

The Maggies that I finally had a chance to hear didn’t impress me too much.  I’m sure the room had a lot to do with it.  Tetra’s little standers were real good, IMO.  Amazing bass from a 4”er.  The Harbeth’s also sounded good to me but don’t care for the cabinets.  I wish I could have heard the small Totem standers they had in the same room.  They had a lot of speakers in that room.

Salk Sound was the only room set up diagonally.  Jim also uses a DEQX unit to help the room response.  Heard the infamous Salk demo CD again and I finally may be tired of Jennifer Warnes…ha ha.  Jim’s wife, Mary, was there and I had a chance to talk with her for a while.  Great sound and beautiful speakers in Jim’s room.

Reading about how equipment sounds, listening to it, and reading what others say about the same equipment tells me a lot about audio nuts.  We all have our different ideas on how we like our music reproduced.

That’s all folks.
And, thank you Jim.

jsalk

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2006, 11:55 am »
Maxcast -

It was great seeing you at the Fest.  

While many AK regulars are into SET amps, horn-based speakers, vintage gear, etc. and would probably never purchase my speakers, there were quite a few others who heard about the show and attended.

We received a great deal of very positive responses.  Many commented that our room was the best sounding at the show.  Many commented that the HT3's blew away the $19,000 line array in the MacIntosh room. I didn't get a chance to hear them, so I can't comment, but it was nice to hear.

Quite a few people returned the second day for additional listening.

So, all in all, I think it was definitely worth attending.

By the way, I did try an email you at gtm.net but my message bounced back.  Is that the correct address?

- Jim

MaxCast

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2006, 01:36 pm »
qtm.net

Rich Carlson

See you at AKFest '06
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2006, 10:19 am »
Quote from: jsalk

We received a great deal of very positive responses.  Many commented that our room was the best sounding at the show.  Many commented that the HT3's blew away the $19,000 line array in the MacIntosh room. I didn't get a chance to hear them, so I can't co ...

I agree with that!  It was great to meet you and hear your superb speakers - I am now thinking about them as my next upgrade  :)