I need a sharp,cheap knife to cut meat

stlrman

I need a sharp,cheap knife to cut meat
« on: 26 Jun 2020, 09:25 pm »
I want a knife to cut up a ribeye 🥩, I guess a chefs knife?
I am on a buying lockdown. Lol .. not really . Gonna say 25-50 dollars.
Is there knifes that stay sharp , because I have never sharpened a knife . Should J I just buy a sharpener thingy? The ones the look like a metal stick . I’m sure I could go on YouTube and learn how to sharpen a knife.
This might be the most economical route.
Thoughts? Thanks !!!
I own a Henckel knife which should be good . Looks like a chef knife. A bit of rust and dull. Pics:
Thanks !!!

Something like this work well?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: I need a sharp,cheap knife to cut meat
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2020, 10:14 pm »
Your Henckles is a decent knife and will hold a fair edge.  The problem is sharpening.  The sharpener you've shown from Amazon might be your best choice since you have never sharpened a knife.  ((Understand that for those of us that sharpen, it's like recommending a boom box for a stereo.)  You won't get it real sharp, but you aren't likely to ruin it either.  You might get an edge as good as I could get with the bottom of a coffee mug. 
I'd suggest finding someone that sharpens professionally and pay to get it done right.  Then buy a steel and learn to restore the edge.  It should hold the edge for a while, depending on use and abuse.  Then have it sharpened again. 

Forgot to mention...even with a block full of Japanese knives, for cutting heavy beef or breaking down venison, I reach for my big German knife, a 12" F.Dick.
https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Chefs-Knife-Professional-Grade/dp/B00004SPZN
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2020, 11:24 pm by S Clark »

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:27 pm »
I have a mess of Henckels and over the years can't even cut the wind anymore.there's a lot of knife sharpening methods(Wicked Edge)is what I really like,mind you expensive.kept looking around for something that would just sharpen the wifes knives.Came across:Smith's 3001 10" oval diamond sharpening rod,well Hellooooonine strokes across each side of the blade and WHALLLA...showtyme.Now we know it's not what pros or knive enthusiasts use,but for a guy like me that cant afford 7-1200 US for a Wicked edge,Have to say the Smith gave me instant sharp and the wife and house is real happy.Bought off Amazon $39.00 canwould like a wicked edge sharpener,but for a novice I can't justify the price even though they get Wicked reviews with a wicked price :D

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:35 pm »
I have a mess of Henckels and over the years can't even cut the wind anymore.there's a lot of knife sharpening methods(Wicked Edge)is what I really like,mind you expensive.kept looking around for something that would just sharpen the wifes knives.Came across:Smith's 3001 10" oval diamond sharpening rod,well Hellooooonine strokes across each side of the blade and WHALLLA...showtyme.Now we know it's not what pros or knive enthusiasts use,but for a guy like me that cant afford 7-1200 US for a Wicked edge,Have to say the Smith gave me instant sharp and the wife and house is real happy.Bought off Amazon $39.00 canwould like a wicked edge sharpener,but for a novice I can't justify the price even though they get Wicked reviews with a wicked price :D
Diamond sharpening rods can do a fine job on a knife that isn't extremely dull or chipped.  Might be a good investment on top of your $9 ceramic pull through sharpener.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2020, 12:09 am »
Thanks so much gentlemen!!! Does William Sonoma sharpen knives?  I look to see if there is someone local. 
Maybe I’ll try the cheap ceramic sharpener to start. I don’t need to cut paper, just do a better job on the occasional Ribeye.  Pork chops cut real easy.  Thanks !

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2020, 12:27 am »
There's mainly one guiding principle to sharpening a knife... always hit the stone at the same angle.  Easier said than done.  But that's the advantage of the little ceramic sharpener you're looking at.  One bit of advice, take a sharpy and blacken the edge of the knife and about 1/8" behind it.  When you draw the knife through, you can see where the ceramic hits the blade.  If it's at the very edge, it's sharpening at a more obtuse angle than before ( not really a problem).  If it hits high on the blade, away from the edge, it's coming in at an acute angle... which means you'll have to take all that metal off before it really reaches the edge.  Your Henckels was probably about 22* factory.  Who knows what it is now?

Surely there is a pro somewhere in driving distance to you there in Pennsylvania.  If not, box it up and send it to me.  I'll sharpen it to 22* and get it back to you.  You'll be out the postage.  Life is too short to use dull knives.   :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2020, 01:30 am »
Thanks for the great info and kind offer S Clark!!!

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2020, 01:59 am »
I've found in a lot of cases a good honing does wonders.
Williams Sonoma does have knife sharpening but only if you bought it there.
Or if you can talk the sales person into doing you a favor.

Don