Recommend A Kitchen Knife Set

twitch54

Re: Recommend A Kitchen Knife Set
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2020, 08:38 pm »
our Cutco knives have performed very well over the years ........

Dawgneck

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2020, 08:46 pm »
Shun Classic 3 piece set, going for $270 nowadays.  Because performance is important, but so are aesthetics:

Good lord, I drool for Shun.  Definitely my next knife set....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2020, 09:19 pm »
Be aware that these are mass produced with an etched damascus pattern. They are made of VG-10... a good steel, but a long way from cutting edge.  They hold their edge decently and are reasonably easy to sharpen.
This Tojiro set is very similar quality and 40% less.  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html  The knock on Tojiro is that they are so hard, they have a tendency to chip.  Sharpening at a 18* instead of the standard 15* helps (my daughter has a set).

These are all stamped vs hand forged knives. Both Tojiro and Shun make hand forged knives up the line.

These knives are VG-10 stainless,  and are reasonably priced as well.  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yahikovg10.html

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2020, 09:27 pm »
So you're still using high carbon, right?

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2020, 09:37 pm »
So you're still using high carbon, right?
I have a couple of those Shuns that my wife loves (and me too).  But I usually use my carbon knives, either White #2 steel or Aogami super.   I've got a couple of powdered steel knives (HAP40), but I should sell them, as they don't seem to fit me well. 

This is the cheapest knife in the block, and gets used daily. 

howard1818

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2020, 09:40 pm »
Dexter has a line of forged knives very nice moderately priced. Putting them in the dishwasher tends to dull them from all of the banging around most handles will last but the blades get beat up. Also if you have a local Oriental market they sometimes have some nice and in expensive knives.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2020, 09:41 pm »
In the block in the kitchen is a mixed set of double Henkel and Cutco. 

Newest are the H’s.  Around 16 years.   The C’s are getting on 25-30 years now.

Plain but useful in my experience. 

I too list after those gorgeous Shun knives.  In retirement perhaps when I can give them the attention they need. 

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:47 am »
I would never put a good knife in the dishwasher.

dolsey01

« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2020, 02:09 pm »
our Cutco knives have performed very well over the years ........

In the block in the kitchen is a mixed set of double Henkel and Cutco. 

Newest are the H’s.  Around 16 years.   The C’s are getting on 25-30 years now.

Plain but useful in my experience. 

I too list after those gorgeous Shun knives.  In retirement perhaps when I can give them the attention they need. 

My mother who is 87 just took her Cutcos that she received as a wedding present over 60 years ago to a free sharpening event. They were used and abused and in horrible shape.  For what ever reason they couldn't sharpen them and sent them back to the factory.  Cutco sent brand new replacements at no cost.  Talk about a lifetime warranty! 

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:17 pm »
Cutco uses 440A stainless- decent stuff 45 years ago.  They will sharpen them for you if you return them, but that's about all they have going for them. 
For the large number of people that want something they don't have to sharpened (and their serrated knives CAN'T be sharpened at home), they provide a maintenance free way to saw through food. 
Sorry, but having Cutco in the conversation about serious knives is like promoting the virtues of a 1965 Garrard automatic turntable in a conversation about serious vinyl rigs. It will play music, but not especially well. 

I'm not knocking Cutco completely.  They provide an option for a sharp knife for a lifetime, and what you pay for is the guarantee instead of the steel.  The title of the thread is "Recommend a Kitchen Knife Set".  Cutco is recommended only for those that have no ability to sharpen a knife. 

dolsey01

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:22 pm »
Cutco uses 440A stainless- decent stuff 45 years ago.  They will sharpen them for you if you return them, but that's about all they have going for them. 
For the large number of people that want something they don't have to sharpened (and their serrated knives CAN'T be sharpened at home), they provide a maintenance free way to saw through food. 
Sorry, but having Cutco in the conversation about serious knives is like promoting the virtues of a 1965 Garrard automatic turntable in a conversation about serious vinyl rigs. It will play music, but not especially well. 

I'm not knocking Cutco completely.  They provide an option for a sharp knife for a lifetime, and what you pay for is the guarantee instead of the steel.  The title of the thread is "Recommend a Kitchen Knife Set".  Cutco is recommended only for those that have no ability to sharpen a knife.

Sorry I should have prefaced it with a note about my comment being related to the company and their warranty and not the quality of the knife as a kitchen tool.  There are much better options as far as knife quality.

Scott F.

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:26 pm »
You may want to look at Sabatier knives.  They're French, available at Williams Sonoma or direct from France.  They are lighter than German steel and by all accounts very fine knives.

We just got a set of Laguiole table knives in Briar wood. We love quality and feel. We've only had them for about three months so I can't comment on longevity. Sure love the look and feel of them  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2020, 04:40 pm »
Sorry I should have prefaced it with a note about my comment being related to the company and their warranty and not the quality of the knife as a kitchen tool.  There are much better options as far as knife quality.
No.  They have their place.  When I wrote that I was trying to not sound like a complete jerk, just bashing a brand.  They absolutely stand by their guarantee.. you send them their knife, and they'll sharpen it  My wife has one that she used for years.  It still gets used as a small bread knife. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2020, 05:22 pm »
I have a couple of those Shuns that my wife loves (and me too).  But I usually use my carbon knives, either White #2 steel or Aogami super.   I've got a couple of powdered steel knives (HAP40), but I should sell them, as they don't seem to fit me well. 

This is the cheapest knife in the block, and gets used daily. 

Interesting knife. Have a link? I’ve thought about adding a Nakiri for a long time, but I’m afraid if I get another knife at this point, my wife will insist I see a Professional to determine why I buy new knives when I already have more than I need, and several that I won’t use because they look too pretty, and I don’t want to damage them .  :green:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2020, 05:27 pm »
Re: Cutco.

I have a bunch, but only use a few. I love their serrated steak knives and their bread knife. I also love their cheese knife.

My wife LOVES their Hardy slicer. It is her “go to” knife to get through anything. I give her a bit of a hard time about it though, as it really is not great for many of the things she uses it for, but hey, each to their own.

I will say that I love the Cutco Handles. Yeah, they can get a bit slippery if you get great stuff on them, but I love them anyway.

S Clark

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2020, 09:25 pm »
Interesting knife. Have a link? I’ve thought about adding a Nakiri for a long time, but I’m afraid if I get another knife at this point, my wife will insist I see a Professional to determine why I buy new knives when I already have more than I need, and several that I won’t use because they look too pretty, and I don’t want to damage them .  :green:
Sure.  It's kind of a beater- fit and finish could be better.  But it is Shirogami(White)#2 and takes a screaming edge at 15*.   Holds the edge better than German blades, but not as long as tougher Japanese steels.   But for $49, it performs really well.  I upgraded with a much more expensive Nakiri... but the expensive one mostly sits.  There is a stainless clad version even cheaper. 

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html

deadhead

« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2020, 10:03 pm »
For my beach house I bought Mercer Genesis knives.  All forged, full tang, with a non slip rubber grip.  They hold an edge really well and have great balance.  I think they punch way above their weight class.  I've since added 3 of their paring knives for my home.  I never buy sets, only open stock of what I know I'm  going to use.

zerojeff

« Reply #37 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:27 am »
I have several Tojiro knives. Before that I had Henkel professional S. The Tojiro’s are quite a step up.

S Clark

« Reply #38 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:44 am »
I have several Tojiro knives. Before that I had Henkel professional S. The Tojiro’s are quite a step up.
They are simply in a different class as far as hardness and edge retention.  The Tojiro VG10 stainless is hardened to ~ 60 rockwell, and Henckels and most of the better German VG-10 knives are hardened to ~ 56 rockwell.   

sunnydaze

« Reply #39 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:59 am »
I really like the Victorinix Fibrox Pro set...........

Recommended by "America's Test Kitchen".

Good enough for them, good enough for me.     :thumb: