BDA-3 DAC

Lwxian

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1300 on: 21 Jun 2020, 12:29 am »
Thanks @marcosax! It works! Amazing! You can actually edit the names!

The Rang

« Reply #1301 on: 21 Jun 2020, 04:36 pm »
If my DAC bought in 2018 has no apparent issues, is there any to need to change the firmware?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1302 on: 21 Jun 2020, 05:28 pm »
If my DAC bought in 2018 has no apparent issues, is there any to need to change the firmware?

Hi Rang

No stay with the current software on your unit.

james

GSchrader

« Reply #1303 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:10 am »
James, I have a question for Bryston in regards to the new volume control implemented in the latest BDA-4 firmware.  As I have too much gain in my whole system, I need a reduction in gain somewhere in the system so as to be able to run my preamp volume control at a reasonable level above the minimum setting.  Currently I am doing this by using a -10 dB reduction in my Nucleus music server via the Roon Headroom Adjustment feature.  It floats the signal from 16 bits to 64 bits, applies the gain reduction, and then floats it back down to 32 bits before sending it to the BDA-3.

Now that I have the option to reduce gain in the BDA-3 directly via its volume control, which method do you think would be less damaging to the sound quality - the Roon method, or by using the volume control in the BDA-3?  I have no idea how the volume control in the BDA-3 is implemented, but I would assume it's digital?

Gerald   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1304 on: 25 Jun 2020, 10:29 am »
James, I have a question for Bryston in regards to the new volume control implemented in the latest BDA-4 firmware.  As I have too much gain in my whole system, I need a reduction in gain somewhere in the system so as to be able to run my preamp volume control at a reasonable level above the minimum setting.  Currently I am doing this by using a -10 dB reduction in my Nucleus music server via the Roon Headroom Adjustment feature.  It floats the signal from 16 bits to 64 bits, applies the gain reduction, and then floats it back down to 32 bits before sending it to the BDA-3.

Now that I have the option to reduce gain in the BDA-3 directly via its volume control, which method do you think would be less damaging to the sound quality - the Roon method, or by using the volume control in the BDA-3?  I have no idea how the volume control in the BDA-3 is implemented, but I would assume it's digital?

Gerald   

Hi Gerald,

Not sure myself - let me check with engineering.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #1305 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:19 pm »
With the new BDA-3 interface, is it possible now to change the IP address using Terminal mode. In looking at the Help/Remote Communication Commands screen, I see the command:

%2330IPADQS.

will display the current IP address of the BDA-3. I would like to hardcode the IP address to be a particular value. Previously, it had to be done through a RS-232 connection. Can it now be done through Terminal?

Thanks.

marcosax

« Reply #1306 on: 25 Jun 2020, 08:53 pm »
Hi Gerald,

Not sure myself - let me check with engineering.

James

Looking forward to any update on this topic, as I too am interested in lowering the BDA-3 output.
I tried by lowering the volume bar in the web GUI introduced with the 2020 firmware, but it resulted in a very unreliable setting, also overridden simply by pressing the Upsampling button on the front of BDA-3, with dangerous (for speakers and ears) and unpleasant sudden boost of volume.
This was one of the reasons I downgraded to 2018.05d, which in my experience is a much solid performer.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1307 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:33 pm »
With the new BDA-3 interface, is it possible now to change the IP address using Terminal mode. In looking at the Help/Remote Communication Commands screen, I see the command:

%2330IPADQS.

will display the current IP address of the BDA-3. I would like to hardcode the IP address to be a particular value. Previously, it had to be done through a RS-232 connection. Can it now be done through Terminal?

Thanks.

It is possible, there are a couple of commands you can enter to allow it (I'll PM you them once a I get access to a BDA-3), but otherwise I would suggest setting up IP Address reservation on your router instead.  The benefit being its all lot easier to talk to the BDA if you change the router, the ip scheme on the existing router, sell the unit or the unit otherwise ends up on a different network.

Chris

bokko

« Reply #1308 on: 26 Jun 2020, 05:32 pm »
It is also good networking practice to reserve IP addresses in router.
If not reserving the IP in router, the IP you give it has to be outside the range of IP addresses your DHCP server (in router) provides. Otherwise there could be a conflict and then two devices won't work or potentially the entire network stops depending on router.

If you insist on giving BDA-3 a dedicated IP address then you need to ensure your DHCP server does not give out that address.

So you could assign 192.168.1.100 - 192-168.1.200 to dhcp server (the 1 after 168 can be any number between 1-253)
Then assign one static address between 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.99 in the BDA-3.

Good place to start would be the name and model of your router and "how do I reserve IP address" in a google search. Much easier I think.

Bryston tries to make this easy by reserving the name http://my.bryston.com to its ipaddress but this depends on how often the router updates the name to the IP address the BDA-3 has been provided. Which will also improve if you use the reserve IP address for the BDA-3.
I'll get my BDA-3 tomorrow so might add once I get hands on experience.

If your router is under warranty many companies would provide this support through email or phone.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1309 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:30 am »
Thanks, Chris and Book.

For other reasons, I reset my router to Factory Defaults today and reserved an IP address for the BDA-3 before turning it on and it worked like a charm.

klao

« Reply #1310 on: 21 Jul 2020, 08:42 am »
Sorry guys, if this type of discussion regarding the diffrence between AES vs USB inputs on sound quality has been posted before.

Previously I connect the BDP-1 with the BDA-1 DAC via an AES cable only, for all StdRes/CD and HiRes PCM files.  Now, I'll be using the BDP-1 with the newer BDA-3 DAC.  Also, I just finished ripping my SACD collection into stereo DSF files, whose playback would require DSD connection with the USB cable between the player and the BDA-3.

Should I use both two cables, the AES for non-DSD/DSF or PCM files exclusively and the USB cable for DSD/DSF file exclusively?  (I can put each type of files into 2 HDDs, for easier browsing/selecting.)  I don't mind doing the input swtiching, though.  Or if there's really no sound quality difference between the two types of cabling/input, I would use just the USB for all of my music files.

Please advise, thank you.

Mag

« Reply #1311 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:54 pm »
Sorry guys, if this type of discussion regarding the diffrence between AES vs USB inputs on sound quality has been posted before.

Previously I connect the BDP-1 with the BDA-1 DAC via an AES cable only, for all StdRes/CD and HiRes PCM files.  Now, I'll be using the BDP-1 with the newer BDA-3 DAC.  Also, I just finished ripping my SACD collection into stereo DSF files, whose playback would require DSD connection with the USB cable between the player and the BDA-3.

Should I use both two cables, the AES for non-DSD/DSF or PCM files exclusively and the USB cable for DSD/DSF file exclusively?  (I can put each type of files into 2 HDDs, for easier browsing/selecting.)  I don't mind doing the input swtiching, though.  Or if there's really no sound quality difference between the two types of cabling/input, I would use just the USB for all of my music files.

Please advise, thank you.

I was going to test how good the BDP-1 was with USB cable but unfortunately don't have the correct USB Cable. Only have the BDA-1 so don't know how that compares with BDA-3 though I have heard the BDA-3.

My current listening with USB Windows 10 i7 computer, USB is Hi-Fi quality. However using WavePad Sound Editor (which is not a Media Player) playing a song back un-edited the sound best my best source.

So I suggest you can check it out for yourself. Feed USB from BDP-1 to computer (should work) and try it with and without WavePad which you can download for free. And see if you can hear a difference.

Set your USB out on computer to BDA-3 and change USB Line to DVD quality, you can also change the Master Volume Level, mine is at 85.

klao

« Reply #1312 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:01 pm »
Thank you, Mag for your suggestion.

Having read the earlier posts on this thread, perhaps, I could simply connect both AES and USB cables from the BDP-1 to BDA-3, and while playing the PCM files, just toggle between the two inputs (AES / USB) on the BDA-3 and compare the sound, right?

zoom25

« Reply #1313 on: 21 Jul 2020, 06:01 pm »
On the BDP-1, you can have simultaneous USB and AES output. You may have to enable the USB output on the BDP-1. Open up Manic Moose and go to 'Audio Devices' Tab at the bottom and from there you can enable/disable the following individually: AES, SPDIF and USB (only available if a USB cable is plugged in from the BDP-1 to the DAC).

This way you can compare both AES and USB output directly and toggle instantaneously via the BDA-3.

todd95008

« Reply #1314 on: 31 Jul 2020, 06:47 pm »
I have a BDA-3 that is an early s/n (500's) with u2018.05d firmware installed.
When playing dsd files over USB from a streamer/server configured in native dsd output, I get huge pops between tracks or any other changes to the flow of the music (jump ahead skip to next track etc.).
Does the latest firmware solve this issue ?
I can set the streamer output to Dop (dsd over pcm) and the pops are almost tolerable but would prefer to use dsd native mode.

I see a HDMI fix in the new firmware but no mention of USB.
I previously gave up on HDMI with the OppO player(s) I have but no longer use in this setup and dsd/SACD playback due to popping issue as well.
Don't care about the volume control.

If I do upgrade, I guess I need both the 04A and 06C (oldMB) files ?

Thanks
Todd

bokko

« Reply #1315 on: 7 Aug 2020, 12:39 am »
What are you using for a transport?

So when I received my BDA-3 with firmware BDA3_2018_05d.bin I immediately updated to BDA3_2020_06C_OldMB.bin.

With new 6c firmware found it causing pops on start up of Native DSD files and pop at end when switching to another format. 
So went straight back to BDA3_2018_05d without in between file. No longer had pops but still somewhat noisy HDMI connections with both Sony and Oppo transports.

Are you sure you are at BDA3_2018_05d?

Correct, to try you would first flash BDA3_2020_04A_OldMB.bin then BDA3_2020_06C_OldMB.bin I followed these directions for my serial number:
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/BDA3%202020-06c%20firmware%20update%20bulletin.pdf 

Good luck if you aren't at 5d try flashing to it first. I was told 6c went back to engineering my MB is much newer than yours...BTW.

I had popping with a Pi4 running Ropieee, Win10 pc with Asio drivers and a MAC Mini all via USB of course.

todd95008

« Reply #1316 on: 7 Aug 2020, 01:57 am »

Are you sure you are at BDA3_2018_05d?

What are you using for a transport?

Yes, I checked my firmware (u2018.05d) before writing the above.
I updated it last about a year ago.

I'm using a Volumio Primo USB output to stream files from an attached SSD.
I don't care about using the Oppo players (UDP-205 & BDP105D) via HDMI for music anymore as they are inferior sounding Vs the streamer.

I'm asking if the latest firmware did anything to change pops on USB input ?
May need Bryston to answer this.
I'm not going to update unless I know this will fix native dsd pops.
For now I'm content using DSD over pcm (via USB) as configured from the streamer.
I have tested a couple of times Vs native and don't hear any difference.

I do have to take back what I said about the volume control however.
Some dsd files were cut on the hot side and exceed the scarlet book standard.
Those files with the AKM DAC chip in the BDA-3 will clip I think.
This depends on if the volume is bypassed in dsd mode or not.
When bypassed in dsd mode the delta sigma modulator is also bypassed so that should be the best sounding option as well.
Does anyone with the latest firmware know if volume even works with dsd ?
I may make some dsd test files to check this out ?

Parsec

« Reply #1317 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:38 pm »
Hello,

I am a new member of Bryston Circle. After months of following discussions on Bryston DACs I have replaced my old but trusty Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC/ Singxer SU-1 combo with Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

I was expecting to gain greater resolution and better high frequencies extension, but I did not want to lose bass extension and beautiful mids ECD-1 is known for. Sure, I also wanted to try high resolution files, DSD, connect SACD player using HDMI, etc.
First I just quickly unplugged the AES/EBU cable feeding ECD-1 (coming from Singxer with Mac mini+Audirvana connected to it with USB cable) and plugged it to BDA-3. Well, no revelation there but I did not listen long enough to make more meaningful comparison. I did not buy BDA-3 to listen to it this way anyway. Next I went straight from Mac to BDA-3 using USB cable. Now we were talking difference! Greater resolution and better high frequencies extension were definitely there. At first I thought there was less bass, but I was wrong. The was bass there, at least as extended as I knew it from ECD-1, but much better controlled and with more dynamic impact. Mids were more neutral with BDA-3. They worked well even with my system which is quiet reviling and more on neutral than warm side. 

This is a quick summary of my  BDA-3 listening experience, but I own it only for few days. I did not experiment much with upsampling and different file resolution yet.
I think Bryston did good job designing this DAC. I am a firm believer that good power supply and analog output stage are extremely important and may contribute more to sound of DAC than selection of particular DAC chip. Maybe this is why I have never liked USB power DACs and I hold to ECD-1 as long as I could.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this Circle and helped me to make good decision of becoming owner of BDA-3 DAC.
Parsec

Grant Hill

« Reply #1318 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:27 pm »
Welcome Sir!  :)

Roddey Reid

« Reply #1319 on: 11 Sep 2020, 06:47 pm »
Hello,

New member introduction.

I'm a life-long lover of jazz and classical music and new to high-end audio as of 10 years ago and brand new to high-resolution digital audio (this year). Owner of a Bryston B100-DA integrated amp, Bryston Middle-T speakers, and a VPI HW-19 Mark IV turntable, I have recently purchased a Bryston BDA 3.14. Challenges connecting the BDA to an iMac and ext. HD via wifi and getting the Manic Moose software to work smoothly have led me to discussions here as a guest.

Roddey