Thinking of going RWA, currently SET

tbabb

Thinking of going RWA, currently SET
« on: 3 Apr 2011, 09:23 pm »
I currently have a mixture of a Wright Sound Preamp (6SN7), and Welborne 2A3 Moondogs driving a Open Baffle pair of Tektons. I'm pretty happy with this setup, but RWA has been in my eyesights for some time now.

I was curious if anyone can offer some comparisons that might have had similar gear?

- Tim

tbabb

Re: Thinking of going RWA, currently SET
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2011, 04:39 am »
Well, I went and did some searching in the RWA Circle threads and found the answers I needed.   I let you know what I think after my amp arrives. ;-)

flatmap

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2011, 05:08 am »
Tim, very interested to hear what you think. 

I've compared a home built SET amp to my RWA 30.2 Signatures and I prefer the RWA power in every way.  Better control, more dynamic, and more clarity of instrumental voice from top to bottom.  The SET was fuller in the midrange, no doubt.  But there was also a lack of corresponding fullness elsewhere.

Of course I never had something quite as nice as what you're using and I've never had a chance at the 2A3 amps.  Really looking forward to hear your experience.

tbabb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:01 pm »
I got a Signature 30 trade in unit. I gave it a non-critical listen last night, with no preamp. The unit sounded good.  I need more time with it to come to any firm conclusions.   I felt It didn't have the amount of harmonic richness (sonic colorization) of the tube pre and 2A3 SET amp combo.  Is that bad? No, just different. I'm told the 30.2 and LFP-V editions are much better in that respect. Looking forward to hearing more tonight and over the weekend.

- Tim
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2011, 12:26 am by tbabb »

tbabb

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2011, 12:08 am »
Well, the Signature 30 is growing on me. I haven't removed it yet.  More to come....

flatmap

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:53 am »
If you are pleased with what the Signature 30.2 is doing, but wish it had more harmonic richness -- then you will love the LFP-V edition.  IMO.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 05:06 am by flatmap »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm »
If you are pleased with what the Signature 30.2 is doing, but wish it had more harmonic richness -- then you will love the LFP-V edition.  IMO.

Hi flatmap,

tbabb purchased an original Signature 30 trade-in unit.  His is not even a 30.2 (which is a big jump up in performance vs. the 30) and NOT even the LFP-V Edition, which you know is all about taking it to the max!  8)   

To both of you - thanks for posting your feedback!

Cheers,

Vinnie

flatmap

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm »
...tbabb purchased an original Signature 30 trade-in unit.  His is not even a 30.2...
Ah, I wasn't reading carefully.

tbabb, you've come into an entry point which has a lot of wonderful things going for it.  If you decide to climb the ladder up to the 30.2 LFP-V edition at some point, especially having already enjoyed SET, I predict you will be very happy.   It's a design that gets that SS/Tube balance just right: quiet, clean, and tonally full.