These LFP-V Editions are amazingly great

sporter

Re: These LFP-V Editions are amazingly great
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:43 am »
Sorry to ramble on, but I am listening to 1970 Dick's Picks Volume 8 Grateful Dead (Live) with the RWA upgrade, and seriously.  I mean, come on.   I feel as if I can reach out and touch them physically.  They are right here in my living room.  Simply awesome.

No, you won't like your upgrade.  Not at all.   :lol:

But I do recommend a nice set of tubes to take it higher.

Profbratsch

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »
It's been a little less than two weeks since I received my modded 70.2s and Isabella w/DAC back from Vinnie, and now I am ready to share my impressions of the changes that have taken place in my system.  I stuck with eight familiar CDs of varying genres in order to fairly evaluate what I was hearing.  I also decided to discipline myself and not listen for extended periods in battery mode until I had accumulated close to 100 hours of burn-in time (more about that later).  OK, here goes...

OUT OF THE BOX

From the beginning solo lines sounded more full-bodied than I had remembered them when listening to my pre-modded gear.  That made sense, given the new tube stage.  Placement of individual instruments seemed more precise than before. 

On the critical side bass frequencies seemed both recessed and congested, and perhaps more evidently, the highs were fatiguing.  After an hour I left the room and kept the components running in AC mode.

12 HOURS ON THE GRID

Unfortunately the highs were still a bit grating but I heard some positive changes as well.  Complex musical lines in movie soundtracks were becoming clearer and subtle breathing of vocalists was becoming more noticeable.  Color changes of instruments, particularly guitar, were found in more abundance.

18 HOURS ON THE GRID

I began to hear detail in articulation, particularly high-frequency percussion instruments such as triangle and celesta.  Bass definition was improving.  Highs were still not to my liking so I decided to let the burn-in process continue for the better part of a day before I continued to assess any more changes.

36 HOURS ON THE GRID

Hallelujah!  All traces of the objectionable highs were now gone.  I was starting to hear subtle improvements in soundstage depth and width.  The clarity of lines was on the  increase and I could hear more air around both instruments and voices.  Bass presence and impact were more apparent.  To sum it up this was the first time I felt the sound of the LFP-Vs running in AC mode was noticeably better than the pre-modded components in SLA battery mode.

60 HOURS IN AND OFF THE GRID FOR A SHORT LISTENING SESSION

Much more interior detail that had up to now had escaped me was now quite present.  On certain recordings I was getting a better picture of the acoustics of the performance venue. Voices in particular seemed more lifelike than before.  Now that I had a peek :nono: it was back to AC.

72 HOURS IN ON THE GRID

Continued improvements in the soundstage were evident, as well as frequency extension of both highs and lows.  Spatial relationships between soloists and accompaniment were better defined.  Another plus was that the soundstage did not appreciably collapse at softer listening levels.

96 HOURS IN, AND OFF THE GRID FOR GOOD

Enough was enough and now was the time to see what the new batteries could bring to the table.  After a little more than an hour I was aware of something I had not expected would occur this deep into the process:  the highs became a bit strident again :dunno:!  After coming back a couple of hours later that condition settled down for good.  It seemed as though there might have been a secondary break-in period for the batteries themselves, not just the tubes or caps.  I would have enjoyed the ride more if I had taken more time to reach the 100-hour mark and relied on battery power. :duh:

Once I came back to listen it confirmed my decision to have Vinnie do what he does so well, and like red wine :roll: the gear is getting better with age.  The background is drop-dead quiet and the presentation has body and impact.  The most complex musical material in revealed in a cohesive fashion.  If there is one aspect of the improvement that has floored me the most it is the depth of the soundstage.  I did not realize the mods could allow for that type of expansion.

I do have to offer an observation regarding the sound of the LFP-Vs running in battery mode vs. AC, and my opinion runs counter to what has been posted in this forum.  I  hear a difference that is akin to playing a piano using a bit of the sustaining pedal as opposed to doing so without it.  There is a definite increase in the resonance and decay of notes when going off the grid.  I also believe the highs are more pristine when in battery mode.  YRMV but in my system the differences are not subtle.

If your budget will allow for it going with the LFP-Vs will provide you with a VERY rich listening experience.  Congratulations on your handiwork, Vinnie! :wine:

« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2010, 11:18 am by Profbratsch »

sneezingdog

« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:45 pm »
Apologies if this isn't the proper thread for the question, but what is the scientific/engineering basis for the break-in/burn-in effects, esp for different components, like batteries, or cables or circuits? What's happening when beak-in occurs?

adamaley

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:36 pm »
It was ebay (musculitohifi), from Germany. Maybe I was lucky;)
I like them better compared to the Siemens ECC88 (from 60s), Amperex 7308 USP (?), way better compared to Tungsram and Tesla NOS.

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #24 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:06 am »
Hey LFP-V cult,  :wink:

I want to thank you all for taking the time to post your initial impressions of your LFP-V Edtion upgrades!  8)

I know I've been MIA more than usual on the forum - I've just been busier than ever with building new units, upgrades, getting ready for RMAF, and other "secret" projects.  :shh:

Pretty soon I need to post about a lot of tube rolling I've been doing with my LFP-V Editions - the LFP-V Edition makes the differences in tubes quite noticeable and allows for some serious tweaking!  I'll be posting more about this after RMAF...

Thanks again everyone - I'm glad you are enjoying your LFP-V Editions  :thumb:

Happy listening!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2010, 09:55 pm »
All,

New LFP-V Edition reviews are in the works:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87574.0

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 3 Nov 2010, 07:06 pm »
And the Black Lightning is now "LFP-ified!"

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/black-lightning

CSI

« Reply #27 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:43 am »
Initial Impression:

I received my Isabellina DAC back with LFP-V Edition upgrade. I was only able to log about a dozen listening hours before leaving on a business trip. So I'll wait until full break-in before trying to describe what I hear. But I must say this much...I was hoping for an incremental improvement but instead the LFP-V changed my system in a dramatic, even startling way. The changes are so fundamental and so positive it will take time to understand what all has happened. For now I would just say that any reservations I had about the cost were instantly laid to rest. If you are thinking about investing in an LFP-V Edition RAW product just do it. I can't imagine you will be disappointed. In fact, if your experience is anything like mine, I would predict you will be stunned by the improvements you hear.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:35 pm »
Hi CSI,

Thanks for posting your initial listening impressions of your Isabellina LFP-V Edition.

In fact, if your experience is anything like mine, I would predict you will be stunned by the improvements you hear.

Just wait until you get back from your trip and burn it in - then please report back!  :)

Your feedback is much appreciated - and I'm glad you sound the upgrade to be well-worth the cost (and the wait time before being able to ship it in for the upgrade - thanks for ALL your patience!)

Happy listening, Always,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:51 pm »
All,

John Darko of Digital Audio Review has just posted his review of the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition Integrated, here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/165-red-wine-audio-signature-302-lfp-v-edition

:wine:

3rdRock

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
All,

John Darko of Digital Audio Review has just posted his review of the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition Integrated, here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/165-red-wine-audio-signature-302-lfp-v-edition

:wine:

Excellent review! Here's a quote from John Darko.

"This is an integrated that has it all: detail, separation, warmth, musicality, fluidity, tonal density and colour. It sounds so utterly right. It is clean. It is open. It is honest. It has coherence such that one would swear it to be musically conscious. Its musicality is (for once) not a euphemism for a dearth of detail and it kicks sand in the face of the more pious Tripath detractors."

I'm currently on Vinnie's waiting list to get my 30.2 upgraded to the LFP-V edition.
Reviews such as this certainly don't make the wait time seem any shorter! :cry:
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm by 3rdRock »

texendo

« Reply #31 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:58 pm »
After about a year into my audio playback obsession, it became painfully clear to me that no matter what kind of electronics you have, you are always listening to the power supply.  Period.  No matter what.  Period.  I dabbled successfully (to my complete disbelief) with different power cords, connectors, and ac receptacles.  I could tell the difference between prime time and 2am listening due to noise on the power grid.  As a new fledgling company, Red Wine Audio definitely struck at my attention with their paradigm of clean and continuous battery power.

Numerous Red Wine Audio iterations, customizations, and upgrades later, I am an exceptionally pleased owner of said products.  When the new LFPV iterations came out, I was just about to wet myself to get my 70.2's and Isabella w/USB DAC upgraded stat!

Once I finally got them back and hooked up, the very first thing I noticed was a significantly improved manhandling over the bass... and painful new-component shrieking.  I am apparently very sensitive to fresh electronics prior to break-in, because I could hardly listen to these things for more than a minute or two.  It seemed worse than other equipment I had purchased new, but I admittedly had never done such a system-wide upgrade all at once.  Still, I was a little dismayed.  I loved the sound of my SLA system before the upgrade.  Had I lost it?

I put the system on the Hagerman Frybaby for a few days while away and returned to find things calmed down significantly.  Huge soundstage and depth, slammin bass, but still a bit forward and unrefined.  It sounded awesome, but I still longed for the magic I remembered from before.

The next few weeks I just listened and played it frequently on battery supply now (it had to be on AC during the multi day break in).  Just two evenings ago while listening to some vinyl, I finally experienced the magic delicacy again, but this time at levels I don't remember experiencing previously.  Holy shit.  Once the tubes are warmed up now, my system just sounds beautiful. 

Make no mistake about it.  The LFPVs do not have a house sound of Red Wine Audio.  It's a completely different power supply, so you are definitely listening to something different.  Yes, the bass is much more powerful, the soundstage more expansive in all three dimensions, and somehow even more magical/delicate sounding (following extensive break-in..... including breaking in the battery section!).  This stuff is not cheap, and I should shudder to think of the money I've invested over the years to arrive at this current setup....  but I don't.  I get such a high level of enjoyment out of these pieces that I consider the price to be an exceptional value.  Factor in things like Vinnie's relentless pursuit of customer service and it's just a no brainer.

I've hesitated to write any glowing words for Vinnie's new creations until now.  I just didn't feel like I liked them better than before.  After what amounts to at least 150hrs burn-in (including battery burn-in time), that sentiment has unquestionably changed.  Wow.

Thank you Vinnie for sharing your creations and adding such a dimension of pleasure to my days.

flatmap

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:06 pm »
I just got my Signature 30.2 LFP-V edition back from Vinnie yesterday.

First, it is great to have this back in my system. When the box arrived, I knocked off work early... and then stayed up to 3am playing records. 

The 30.2  has always been a good translator for vinyl playback.  It is, you know, so quiet and lets through a terrific amount of musical detail.   But now there is -- I'm not sure what words to use -- an even greater "analog" and "liquid" feeling to it.  I'm just talking big picture, here.

It's clear this upgrade is going to be a very good thing.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:56 pm »
Hey gang,

As I mentioned in the other threads I just replied to, I apologize for the delayed response.  I've just been insanely busy - but I am thankful for this and all your enthusiasm and support! 

The LFP-V Editions have been a huge success, and the upcoming Ginevra Phonostage will also be an LFP-V Edition product (RWA LiFePO4 battery pack and LFP-V tube output stage). 

Hi 3rdRock, texendo, and flatmap,

Thanks for your posts - very much appreciated!

I knocked off work early... and then stayed up to 3am playing records.

Thank you Vinnie for sharing your creations and adding such a dimension of pleasure to my days.

It is all my pleasure - and reading your feedback really makes me feel good and I am very thankful for all your support and excitement for the LFP-V Editions and me/Red Wine Audio.

Now the Black Lightning LFP Editions are realy taking off - I'm making them for many different products (even for those who like the keep their units turned ON all the time - we'll that works out just fine with the LFP Edition - and it sounds better than ever!  :singing:)

I'll be posting more soon - lots of great stuff in the works.  I also have a new employee, Alexis, who has already been a tremendous help and a new factory tour is scheduled for early 2011 by Steve Guttenberg of Tone Audio!  You'll get to see what's been cookin'!  :smoke:

I'll post more soon...

Vinnie

Moon08

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »

"As someone who used a wire recorder...(I was very young)...
Vinnie has created "State of the Art" audio on such a scale,
We could only dream of....studio sound in your home in unprecedented
Clarity and resolution."
As you can tell I love this set up...
IMPORTANT....anyone with the latest apple computers, I an using a new mac mini....apple can now output 96k 32bit audio.....it is amazing what the extra bits do, this applies to all bit rates and sampling...it does not matter that the original is not 32bit..It sounds like a doubling of resolution...
I have found the sweet spot to be 88.2 sampling...which is logical.
Rumors have it that itune songs will be in 24bit in the near future.
Thanks.....mature audio/data engineer
;-)frank

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:10 pm »
Hi Frank,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA Forum!

Thanks for your post, and glad you are loving your 30.2 LFP-V Edition! 

Happy Listening,

Vinnie

Earman

« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:32 pm »
Rumors have it that itune songs will be in 24bit in the near future.
What would be the point of iTunes selling 24-bit audio since it only sells lossy-compressed files, and the vast majority of the source audio files would only be 16-bit anyway? Users would be better served by lossless 16-bit than by 16-bit upsampled to 24-bit and then lossy compressed.