Speaker for the Signature 30

budbrew

Speaker for the Signature 30
« on: 26 Aug 2006, 04:47 am »
I'm really enjoying my RWA Signature 30! I dropped it into an Audio Note system to replace a pair of 300B monoblocks both for child safety and convenience, and later on the idea of simplicity has been pulling me in. I've used it both passively and with an AN preamp. Using the preamp fills things out nicely giving it body and weight, especialy at lower volumes and in the lower midrange, which I tend to prefer, but passive is clearer, more transparent, and I appreciate that too. Tonight I removed the preamp and I'm enjoying some sweet Nick Drake. Some Duscan Bogdanovic guitar is also sounding stellar. I'll try the passive again for a while.

Anyway, my impression is that my AN speakers need the extra drive of a preamp to allow the Sig 30 to make them sing. I've had this issue with other preamp/amp combos. They are great speakers! But with my simplification to the Sig 30 and likely an Olive from Vinnie I'm interested in carrying through with a speaker to allow the Sig 30 to sing on its own. Likely a higher efficiency design. Candidates include a few Omega hemp speakers. I've been reading about the OB B200 speakers, but placement options in my house roughly dictate corner/against the wall placement, and the OBs need some room.

The speakers need to be inexpensive. That's part of the simplicity thing and with the Sig 30 I know a a lot can be had for reasonable cash.

Any recommendations? Much appreciated!

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Speaker for the Signature 30
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2006, 01:02 pm »
I use Zu speakers with my Sig 30. Vinnie reports that many of his customers have found a winner with that combination.
Inexpensive is a rather imprecise term so I may be barking up the wrong tree but the Druids retail for $2800/pair, are not terribly sensitive to placement, and are extremely fast and efficient.
I have Definitions which are even better but they cost 3 times as much and require a minimum 10 foot listening distance. Also very efficient (both are 101 db), the Defs are a statement level product that, combined with a Sig 30, represent an almost incomparable performance level. Extreme resolution and fast, powerful bass down to 16 hz, great imaging and startlingly fun and fancy repro from a 12 inch square footprint.
I've become involved with the Zu company since purchasing my Druids and subsequently moving up in the line so perhaps you should solicit other opinions about Zu or attend one of their shows. Or just try them. They offer a sixty (yes, 60) day trial period. Money back if you are able to return them. Few do.

budbrew

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2006, 05:29 pm »
The Sig 30 must have continued to break in since I started using the preamp because now without the preamp it has openned up and filled out on its own. No need for a preamp! I'm very pleased with the sound of the Sig 30 all on its own and it appears to work great with the AN speakers. The one thing I miss is the dimensionality and spaciousness of tubes. But IME that trait is unique to tubes. The Sig 30 is a real gem!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2006, 07:09 pm »
Hey budbrew,

Thanks for sharing your Sig 30 impressions here and I'm glad you are enjoying it.  About how many hours of burn-in do you think you have on it?  In the 100 to 200 hour range, you should be 'there' and my guess is that you'll want to completely forget about the idea of using an active preamp  :wink:

The speakers need to be inexpensive. That's part of the simplicity thing and with the Sig 30 I know a a lot can be had for reasonable cash.

Let us know your budget.  What Audio Note speakers are you currently using? 

Thanks,

Vinnie

Willie the Squid

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2006, 05:58 am »
This is going to be interesting.

I've ordered a Sig 30.  Should be showing up pretty soon.  When it arrives it will be matched with a pair of Tannoy System DMT15 MKII studio monitors.  Nominal 8 ohm impedance, with a drop to approx. 6 ohms in the mid-bass, 98 db efficient.  Fabulous sounding studio monitor. 

Even though these speakers are "sensitive" they are still very demanding of the amp.  They were designed to driven by powerful solid state amps used for monitoring purposes in professional music studios.

I originally purchased the Tannoys (about 4 years ago) to match with a pair of George Wright 3.5 single ended monoblocks (2a3 outputs) with about 4 wpc.  I thought, "98 db efficient speaker - all I need is a watt or two."  I was wrong.  Initial impressions were good...but soon I came to understand that these little amps just could not throw the current required to truly make the speakers sing.  Next step was a pair of SunAudio SV300B MKII monoblocks (push pull, 20 wpc).  Better drive, more power, the SunAudio amps were a much better match...and I lived fairly contentedly for almost 2 years. 

However, the going got really good when I switched back to transistor amps -- with the Naim 250 and the Avondale A260 amps really being able to control that very demanding 15 inch driver cone.  These speakers are sensitive, but to sound their best to me, they have required powerful solid state amps that can really move current...and move it fast!  Just like the designers intended! 

So, my intuition tells me the Sig 30 should be an outstanding match with these Tannoy monitors...it's not great power that the speakers require...it's the quickness of how the amperage is delivered...and methinks a battery type that can turn over car engines should easily be able to "control" the motor of those Tannoy monitors.  We will see.  If it works, I should have a match made in heaven. 

I will be reporting back!  Stay tuned.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2006, 01:32 pm »
Hey Willie the Squid,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

So, my intuition tells me the Sig 30 should be an outstanding match with these Tannoy monitors...it's not great power that the speakers require...it's the quickness of how the amperage is delivered...and methinks a battery type that can turn over car engines should easily be able to "control" the motor of those Tannoy monitors.  We will see.  If it works, I should have a match made in heaven. 

You got it!  The Sig 30's high current SLA battery power is wired directly to the amp board.  The only thing in the path is a very beefy ON/Charge switch.  There is no transformer, diode bridge, voltage regulators, or any of that AC to DC coversion "stuff" to choke the current delivery.... just pure simplicity of high current DC power direct to the amp.   8)   I believe you are going to be very happy with the results and I am looking forward to hearing your impressions.  I hope to have your Sig 30 shipped out the week of 9/18....

As always, thanks for your order and your patience.  I will do my best to make it well worth the wait.

Best regards,

Vinnie

kbuzz3

willie the squid
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2006, 02:14 pm »
are you the same willie who posted some very helpful stuff over the years on the AA vintage board. I seem to recall you had some very extensive exp. with vintage integrateds and more importantly were willing to share your opinions....