That RWA "house sound"

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
That RWA "house sound"
« on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:56 pm »
All,

I recently received an email from a potential customer with the following question:

“In the 6 moons review [of the Signature 15] you described a Red Wine house sound.  Can you clarity if this is a coloration in sound that you have designed your equipment to produce?”

I thought this was a great question and wanted to share my response below, as this is an interesting topic to briefly discuss. 

“The short answer is ‘no’ - I do not design a coloration into the sound of our products.  But they do have their own sonic signature that sets them apart from others.

The longer answer is our “Red Wine Audio house sound” is a sound that comes from "DC-Direct" power via high-current LiFePO4 battery power.  It is free of AC mains noise.  It is dynamic because we avoid the AC to DC conversion process and its shortcomings.  It is detailed and open sounding while also being highly musical.  This sound comes from our use of our LFP-V Tube Stage (again, completely LiFePO4 battery powered) + FET output stage, bringing you some of the best sonic attributes of tubes and solid-state amplification. 

Red Wine Audio is the only company that combines a Class-A tube input stage, A/B FET output stage, ran completed from high-current LiFePO4 battery power, and does so with clean signal and power paths, premium parts and wiring inside, and with the goal in mind to offer our listeners with a sound that is very musical and engaging - without flashy enclosures, lights, gold trim and all that distracting "bling."

This is our sound.  I don't like to use the word "coloration" because that term makes me think of equalizers (EQ) and other things that are intentionally used to alter the sound.  I also think of poorly designed tube amps that are muddy and full of harmonic distortion.  Ironically, I also find components that try to be “colorless” can actually sound colored to me because they fail to connect the listener to the music if they give a sterile and lifeless presentation. They are colored by an analytical, non-musical sound signature.

I hope this response is helpful and does not add confusion.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions."

Sincerely,

Vinnie