Super Scientific Headphone Analysis

adydula

• Restricted
Super Scientific Headphone Analysis
« on: 24 Aug 2019, 06:30 pm »
 Ok so this morning my grandson came by and I was showing him what a dac is , an amp and how music from a digital source gets converted from bits to analog sound waves....he seemed interested, but a freshman in high school and first time being exposed to "higher" audio...

But the interesting thing was I let him listen to three headphones and asked him which one he thought was the best...

First was the $30 Koss KPH 30i's, second was Senn HD600's, and last was Beyer T1's.

At the end he picked the Koss KPH 30i's over the higher cost hp's....

So a fifteen year old picks out the least expensive cans...and when I asked him how much he thought the three headphones each cost, he was shocked at the cost .

It was interesting to see the look on his face as he rotated thru and his smile was the biggest with those $30 wonders!!

Ah, life is good...

Alex

brooklyn

Re: Super Scientific Headphone Analysis
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2019, 04:33 am »
Oh…. nice going Alex, tell your grandson to make sure
he gets a good job to support his new future hobby..

You just cost him a ton of money.. when he gets older
he’s gonna want the good stuff…  lol

Jerry
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2019, 03:19 pm by brooklyn »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2019, 08:35 pm »
he’s gonna want the good stuff…  lol

I don't know about that given his preference for the cheapest headphones over the much more pricey ones. :D

I'm debating whether or not I should consider headphones for myself. My tinnitus is so bad now it is impossible for me to sit in the sweet spot and enjoy music. I'm seriously thinking about selling everything and gearing down to just something simple / modest for background music.

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2019, 10:23 pm »
Hi Wind Chaser,

I sold off my audio gear about three years ago because I was living out of town in a small apartment
for many years. I can’t go without listening to music so I got started with iTunes, a small amp and
headphones, I don’t have any regrets to this day. My wife and I purchased a home and I still have
no intentions of jumping back into a full audio system.

When I’m not using the headphone I use a three piece PreSonus powered system and it sounds
wonderful in my room. I find that listening to music is very convenient through a computer desktop
system.. Just bear in mind, you might get hooked like I did and start to want better gear.. lol

Like you, I also suffer from Tinnitus, I don’t have it real bad but listening to music with headphone
blocks it out and at work it’s just noisy enough so it’s not noticeable. It may be a great option for you..

Jerry