Sennheiser Headphone - Discussion

adydula

• Restricted
Sennheiser Headphone - Discussion
« on: 31 May 2019, 12:30 pm »
Ok here is another very popular headphone. Many of you have these and like them very much...so please feel free to
opine about them.

The usual rules apply, no disparagement etc...enjoy!!

Alex

:D

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Sennheiser Headphone - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2019, 12:45 pm »
adding this information from FullRangeMan:

Not wanting get off topic more than this, worth mention the HD700 use the same 30mm speaker than the 600/650 and may worth to collect for a German brand fan. An useful tweak is DIY a balaced cable to better sound:
https://www.mafaudio.com/products/connectors-switches/headphone-connectors/gold-plated-headphone-plug-for-upgrading-sennheiser-hd650hd600hd265hd525hd535-gdhp001-698.html

:D
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2019, 01:34 pm »
Actually, it's not the same:. According to its cnet review: "The 40mm driver is unique to the HD 700, and is not used in any other Sennheiser headphones". (This may have since been rendered incorrect as the new HD660 seems to be a 650 with a 700 series driver in it.) But it's definitely not the same driver as the 650, which uses a 30mm driver IIRC.

From 'What Hi-Fi' : "They use trickle down technology from the HD 800s, with a smaller driver. The drive units also incorporate a new ventilated magnet system, which aims to reduce air turbulence and harmonic distortion that could affect the sound quality."

That said, I did find the overall signature (I've actually heard the 700 and owned the 650) to have more in common with the HD6** series than the 800. For some reason, they didn't seem to me to offer enough 'extra' to justify the extra cost over the HD6** variants. (The 'street' price has dropped though.) They also didn't 'grab' me the way the Amirons did. Although the 'What Hi-Fi' review gushed about their comfort, I found the earcups a little small, unlike the spacious HD6** models and the Amirons. As always in audio, and especially with 'phones in some ways, YMMV. Despite being a Beyer user (for now anyways), I still think Senn makes a great product. The longevity of the HD6** line in the fickle audiophile market is without equal AFAIK and is a testament to the quality of the design.

Over the years I've had 414's (original 2kΩ and 50Ω reissue), 424's, 580's, 555's, 485's, PX100's, and maybe one or two that slip my mind. Good product, but as always, listen before you buy and/or have a good return policy because Sennheiser isn't reluctant to design to various signatures. You may like one and hate another.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2019, 12:27 am by dB Cooper »

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2019, 02:06 am »
I recently got the Massdrop 58x and the sound quality for just $160 is ridiculous. Previously owned the 599s which at their stock price of $249 purchased new I considered pretty damn good. The 58x to me is like a cross between the 599 and 650.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2019, 08:28 pm »
Thanks for the information, massdrop is a great  place to get some deals!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:07 pm »
My Sennheiser phones are original HD800.
Took them a very long time to break in. I actually got bored with them and put them away for a few months. But when I took them back out, hey they sound better! That thin treble tilted sound gave way to a nice full sound. 
One issue I had was the velvet on the cloth all came off as it disintegrated over the first two years. Finally I just peeled what was left using packing tape to lift off what was coming loose over time.
And I half broke the tight headband getting a little too exuberant bending it, My bad! now it is a little too loose.
Otherwise I like them. (damning with faint praise?) They sound pretty good.

I use them with a Rudistor RPX33 mk2 headamp.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:47 pm »
Wow!

Elisabeth, thats a really nice amp!

I have never heard of them, their site lists this as a $2900 USD price?

Is that correct?

Class A.

Alex

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2019, 04:12 pm »
Anyone here use HD569 closed back headphones? I listened to them at AXPONA and have to say they were the most impressive headphones I tried that day. When I say impressive, I'm factoring in the cost so although I listened to better sounding headphones, for the money the 569 was tops.

Curious if others are using them for closed back listening.

Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2019, 04:58 pm »
Wow!

Elisabeth, thats a really nice amp!

I have never heard of them, their site lists this as a $2900 USD price?

Is that correct?

Class A.

Alex
I bought my Rudistor RPX33 mk2, used, about eight years ago... From Head Fi in the for sale from a person in USA... I paid about $1,500 or ? I really do not remember exactly. $1400 $1700?? I paid what seemed more than average for used mainly due to rarity of the item. In eight more years I have seen maybe one for sale.
It is a master of clarity, and tight.. I love it. Goes great with the Sennheiser HD800. I think the list back then was $2,200. (though that all depends on the 'rate of exchange' Euro to Dollar) And the current model is at least one generation later...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2019, 07:54 pm »
timind...

Those HD569 can be purchased for $109 on the big "A"....

How can such inexpensive headphones make you smile!!! ( :D)

Juat kidding...I have never heard of these Senn's....but sure would like to.

Lots of positive reviews on these....

Thanks for the input!
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2019, 07:55 pm »
Elizabeth...

Being a class a amp I am wondering how "hot" it gets?

I am going to look into these amps and read up on some reviews.

Thanks for sharing!
Alex

Elizabeth

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2019, 08:09 pm »
Elizabeth...

Being a class a amp I am wondering how "hot" it gets?

I am going to look into these amps and read up on some reviews.

Thanks for sharing!
Alex
It gets  low to medium warm. So the case is pretty warm (not hot) to hand holding on...   after being on playing music for say four hours, play...  This considering my apartment is ALWAYS temp at 80F year round. (which does make a difference in stuff being hotter) And the fact the Rudistor is on top under a glass shelf (so the glass in ONE INCH over the top of the Rudistor)
Now HOT HOT is my Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamp which is a FURNACE ... No using that puppy in the Summer. (Like leaving the kitchen oven on all day...)
The coolest devices are the Threshold FET TEN.. They feel cold. all the time on 24/7 playing.. no matter.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2019, 01:14 am »
  This considering my apartment is ALWAYS temp at 80F year round.

What? 80 degrees? My goodness that's hot.