• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #480 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:23 pm »
They're usually pretty quick. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #481 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:54 pm »
Got a reply from Hypex, the problem was the L and N wires were backwards at the IEC, swapped them around problem solved.

seadogs1

« Reply #482 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm »
What preamps are everyone using with their ncore amps?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #483 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:29 pm »
None.  I have no use for a preamp, all they do is add distortion and noise.

srb

roscoeiii

« Reply #485 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm »
None.  I have no use for a preamp, all they do is add distortion and noise.

Of course opinions vary on the importance of preamps. A perennial topic of debate on audio forums. As with most things, best to listen for yourself in your system to make up your mind, according to your preferences.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #486 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm »
Yes, I did listen.  And was able to sell my Ayre K5-XEmp (a very good unit and highly recommended for anyone who needs a pre amp).  If one uses a single source with a good method of controlling volume and a good output stage, adding a preamp will only make the system less accurate.  As long as folks accept and understand that under the above circumstances adding a preamp is adding distortion, then I am fine if they prefer the resulting sound.
But ultimately, if accurate music reproduction is the goal, having the minimum (to get the job done, notably controlling volume as transparently as possible and driving the interconnects and input stage of the amplifier optimally) amount of parts in the signal is desirable.

roscoeiii

« Reply #487 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm »
Let's not go down this road barrows. I never suggested that you didn't listen.

But to each his or her own. I too listened, and the kW preamp stays (thanks to better dynamics and oomph). For a long, long time I imagine.

Points made and back to the topic of the thread.

jonbee

« Reply #488 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm »
My 2 cents- I use an Audio-GD C-3 preamp. This peamp to me has the same attributes as the amp- wide range, squeaky clean transparent, and killer dynamics. I'm very happy with the match, and the price is very right. I've used 3 preamps so far with my NC- Cullen modded PS Audio Gain Cell GCC-500, Bel Canto Pre3, and the Audio-GD (last 2 in balanced mode) . The latter wins on every count.

Airborn

« Reply #489 on: 9 Dec 2012, 09:02 am »
Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. Fully balanced and works very well with ncore monos, imo.

Shaman

« Reply #490 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:11 pm »
Only reason I'd add a preamp would be to get some sort of DSP functionality.
Actually the devices I'm considering (Metric Halo LIO8, Hypex DLCP, Lyngdorf DPA1 etc.) are more DACs than preamps, but let's not get hung up on semantics.  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #491 on: 9 Dec 2012, 02:16 pm »
Only reason I'd add a preamp would be to get some sort of DSP functionality.
Actually the devices I'm considering (Metric Halo LIO8, Hypex DLCP, Lyngdorf DPA1 etc.) are more DACs than preamps, but let's not get hung up on semantics.  :green:
FYI

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110698.msg1143571#msg1143571

Shaman

« Reply #492 on: 9 Dec 2012, 02:29 pm »
FYI

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110698.msg1143571#msg1143571

A true bargain!
Not ready to take the plunge yet (financially, for the most part), but I'm surprised this has been available for so long.
People are probably not aware of the performance and features this baby offers.

milezone

« Reply #493 on: 10 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm »
Mike, in the event that you're still following, with regards to your issue of the amps turning back on. That's the exact issue I was having. After trying various configurations with input grounding and not having any luck, I got in touch with Hypex. They suggested a possible issue with binding post isolaton (the bare metal of my speaker posts was touching the chassis). Another suggestion was bad contact due to the annealed surface of the posts. Lastly, voltage dips could be the issue. Anyway, to fix all three possible culprits I put in new binding posts and started using one of these: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=le1200. Upon doing so the issue went away completely. That being said, I'm not sure where the problem lies. I'd start with checking the speaker posts and the connection to the amp (make sure the gold screws are tight).

mikeeastman

« Reply #494 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:42 pm »
Milezone, thanks for info, I don't think regulator would help as I have good a/c, as I live off the grid, also I have mono blocks and only one is doing it. I'll check the speaker out put wires but they are soldered direct to the terminals so I don't think thats it. I use my binding post only as a clamp to clamp out put wire to speaker cables so I don't see how there could be a problem with isolation. The only thing I think it might be a bad ground. Here are a couple of pics of speaker connections.

mikeeastman

« Reply #495 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:41 pm »
OK we're getting into ghosts and gremlins now, with further playing around I found that the problem only happen when amp is powered by my dedicated circuit but not on any other circuit, but the other mono block works fine on either???? :scratch:

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #496 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:44 pm »
Are your IEC plugs / mains inlets grounded exactly the same in both?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #497 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:54 pm »
Are the metal sleeves from the binding post touching the case?  It's hard to tell when I zoom in but there needs to be no contact between them and the case...the plastic from the CPBP should be the insulator.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #498 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:02 pm »

Atma-Sphere MP-1 tubed preamp.

Great match!!

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #499 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:04 pm »
Atma-Sphere MP-1 tubed preamp.

Great match!!

George
Have those NCores taken over the amp spot from the MA-1's yet?