Sony 999ES/Platinum Mod & Revelation Audio PC & Inte

Raphael

:D Since October 22, 2004, I have been burning in my ModWright Sony 999ES with Platinum Level Signature Truth Mod, Revelation Audio Precept II Cryo-Silver power cord, Revelation Audio Cryo Silver Paradise interconnects and two VH Audio Flavor 4 power cords (cryo with Furo) and a PC burn-in adapter.  I had planned on submitting my observations concerning this player, interconnects and pc’s in a couple of weeks or so but I am so pleased with the current playback, I can’t wait.

1.  First, I must say I still find it hard to believe that audiophiles will commit the amount of money required to purchase a fully modded Sony 999ES without being able to audition the player (particularly in their own systems).  I auditioned the stock Sony 999ES at a local audiovisual store and thought that the player had some merit but definitely was not a unit that I would purchase for my system or one that I would send off to be modified.  It had a fair sound stage, fair detail and some tizziness or etch in the upper frequencies (more evident on some cd’s than others).  I thought the Marantz 8260 sounded much better and with more separation and quietness around instruments.  It was a closer call when compared with the Marantz 8400 when auditioned in my system.  However, when I had the opportunity to directly compare the Marantz 8400 with the ModWright Sony in a fellow AudioCircle’s member’s system, it was immediately evident that the Marantz 8400 failed miserably.

2.  So why did I take the plunge and purchase the ModWright Sony.  Well, I must say that the very helpful reviews and/or observations  made by Robert Levi in his Positive Feedback review, the various observations of Zybar, Levi (AudioCircle), Ted_B, and others who have posted their observations and/or skepticism on AudioCircle and other web sites definitely captured my attention and got me moving down the road.  The gracious opportunity provided by an AudioCircle member here in the Alexandria, Va. to audition the Sony 999ES with the Platinum mod at his home got me almost to the point of making the purchase.  The AudioCircle member’s system was very impressive and analytical (Placette/PSAudio amp/Revel speakers/Equi=Tech ac conditioner, ModWright Sony 999ES etc.).  There were cuts of various CDs/SACDs (e.g. Patricia Barber - Modern Cool, Alison Krause and Union Station – Live) that were mind-boggling.  The depth of the sound stage, the clarity and definition of the voices and instruments, and the amount of information and detail was truly impressive.  However, on certain cuts there was a slight etch.  His system was so good that some cuts on the same CD would have a bit of etch and others were supremely pleasing.

3.  What pushed me over the top was the general consensus of many posters on Audiocircle, favorable comments on web sites such as Positive-Feedback and the AudioCircle member here in Alexandria, Virginia that Dan Wright’s judgment and fair characterization of the capabilities of his modifications were reliable.  This view was confirmed in my reading of some of Dan Wright’s postings regarding the Sony mod and other mods and my telephone conversations with him.  Most importantly, Dan assured me that the Sony 999ES with Platinum mod, particularly when used with the Revelation Audio Precept II power cord and Paradise interconnects, (all of which Dan auditioned at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival), was not bright and did not have an etch.  How right he was.

4.  Some observations:

a.   The Revelation interconnects and pc are a great match with the Sony 999ES with Platinum mod.  There is a tonal correctness and sweetness to the sound that I did not think was possible when listening to CD’s (at least in a player less than $13,000).  When I substitute the Revelation Audio pc with the stock Belden and VersaLabs Wood Block on the power supply of my Jeff Rowland Consummate pre-amp, I hear the same tonal correctness and sweetness when I play my FanFare FM tuner and vinyl playback.  After 3 weeks of burn-in, I cannot believe the sound.  Robert Levi, Levi (AudioCircle) and Ted_B have already very accurately detailed the signature qualities of the Sony 999ES with Platinum mod.  The sound stage is incredibly wide, deep and high.  The detail and clarity of the sound is remarkable.  There does not appear to be any blurring and you can hear every word, the breathing of vocalists and, at times, musicians (on horns for instance).  The image placement is rock steady.  The character of instruments and voice is so close to the real thing.  When a pianist let’s the note hang or a guitarist gets that twang to hang in the air, this ModWright player captures and displays the reproduction in a startling manner.  On some CDs, the physical size of a grand piano and the sense of the notes coming out of an actual grand piano or any piano for that matter are captured.  For instance, the image, stage, character and resonance of Frank Sinatra’s  voice and the piano, drums and other instruments in Count Basie’s band are reproduced in your living room in a manner that is truly breath taking.  While listening to this CD last night (how I wish there were an SACD recording, not just CD and DVD-Audio), I poured two small glasses of Courvosier for my wife and I and it was as if we were there at the Sands sitting at a table during Frank Sinatra’s show.  I have had similar aural experiences when listening to CDs and SACDs of performances by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz, Ry Cooder, Roberta Flack, Emmylou Harris, Diana Krall, Ibrahim Ferrer, Linda Rondstadt, Cat Stevens, Tom Waits, Horowitz, Perahia, numerous classical works, including some Living Stereo SACDS and various other artists or works.  

b.   I initially ran the system continuously for about five days.  There was significant improvement over this time.  However, the greatest improvement began when I started burning in the various pc’s (Revelation Audio and VH Audio Flavor 4) with a pc burn in adapter from VH Audio.  At this point, I either leave the system running over night or run one of the pc’s with the adapter.  I have the Revelation Audio pc on the Sony player, a VH Audio Flavor 4 pc on the power supply of the Sony player and a VH Audio Flavor 4 on the power supply of the pre-amp.  There is a wonderful synergy in my system with the Flavor 4 on the pre-amp and the Revelation Audio pc on the Sony.  The Flavor 4 has wider sound stage and more emphasis on the upper frequencies.  

5.   My recommendation to other audiophiles who are considering purchasing a new CD/SACD player and are considering a mod player, don’t overlook the ModWright Sony 999ES with Platinum mod (if this is the price range you are willing to consider).  In my view, you are not going to find a stock CD/SACD that will be able to match the playback capability of this ModWright Sony anywhere close to this price range.  Up to today, I have been virtually exclusively in the vinyl playback camp.  I was willing to commit to a Naim cd player but never felt that there was a real challenge to my vinyl playback system.  The ModWright Sony has required me to adjust my position.  I won’t go as far as Robert Levi because in my system the vinyl playback has not been usurped.  There is a transparency and level of reproduction that definitely tilts in favor of vinyl playback when you compare the vinyl vs. cd performance on the same performance.  However, there are many CDs/SACDs that I have not been able to make a similar comparison and the sound of the CD and SACD is truly impressive and sweet on the ModWright Sony.  Thus, were I now solicited by a friend or acquaintance to help him or her to set up a new two channel sound system below $15,000 to $20,000 or so, I would recommend that he or she forego vinyl playback and purchase a ModWright Sony 999ES with Platinum mod and Revelation Audio interconnects and pc (with a Flavor 4 on the power supply).  While there is undoubtedly a level of reproduction that can be obtained with vinyl playback that can be superior to CD/SACD, in my view you would have to commit more than $10,000 to an arm, moving coil cartridge, turntable, interconnects and ac line conditioner to get truly outstanding vinyl playback that exceeds the playback capability of the ModWright Sony.  I am sure that there will be some that hotly dispute this view.  Nonetheless, if you have a budget below $15,000 to $20,000 for a system, in my view you can’t go wrong with the ModWright Sony and it greatly increases your options for allocating larger portions of your budget to pre-amp, amp, speakers, interconnects, pcs, fm tuner and more money for CDs/SACDs.  The lower your budget drops from $15,000, the more compelling is it to exclude vinyl playback.  This may be an insight that virtually the majority of audiophiles have reached long ago.  Personally, until now, I could not have lived with such a choice.  This is a great player.

6.   Thanks again to all.  Raphael

Levi

Modwright
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2004, 10:30 pm »
Congratulations!  I also found that using Amperex PQ 7119 tubes will give you even more gain and transparency.  You have to spend over $2600 to beat the modwright sony.  I am not sure if you've seen it's progressive scan video capabilities...it's presentation is also pretty good with lots of details.

mcrespo71

Re: Sony 999ES/Platinum Mod & Revelation Audio PC &
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 10:57 pm »
What turntable/cartridge/phonostage did you compare the Modwright to?

Michael

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:17 pm »
Welcome to the club! :D

I am going to try a few different ic's shortly, and now the Revelation paradise ic's are on my short list (along with Audience Au24, etc.).  Where are they available, though?  I'm currently using Outlaw ic's, if you can believe it.  
Ted_B

edit:  I replaced my Momitsu (which I scale to either 720p/1080i) DVD player (I use a Runco fp on a Stewart 120" screen) with the Modwright after I saw it's unbelievable picture at 480p.  I think Dan's platter stabilizing, along with the Bybee AC stuff has really improved the video.

Raphael

Reply to Levi, mcrespo71 and ted_b
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2004, 03:53 am »
Levi:  Thanks for the tip about the Amperex PQ 7119 tubes.  I will give them a try.  It is great that you have been experimenting with additional options.  By the way, do you have a suggestion as to where I should purchase the Amperex tubes?  
I have not spent any time checking out the video part of the player other than to use Digital Video Essentials to re-calibrate an older Sony XBR 61 inch rear projection tv.  For that exercise, the Sony player provided a great image.  There is no progressive scan option with the Sony XBR (no component connections etc.)  I have a newer Sony Wega rear projection LCD in another room but have not tried the Sony with it.  In fact, I am just getting Directv hidef set up tomorrow.

mcrespo71:  I have a graham tonearm, lyra clavis moving coil cartridge, basis turntable (I forget what model but it is the step down from the model with the vacuum suction option), Cardas golden wiring in the graham tonearm and connecting directly to a Jeff Rowland Consummate phono unit (there is no junction box for the wiring).  The tonearm, turntable, phono and wiring are a few years old but in great shape and sound terrific.  They are also set up in an adjacent room to the speakers on cinder blocks and slate board.  Mike Hobson from Classic Records set up my stereo system including the whole phono system.  I haven't spoken to Mike for quite awhile but he is a great guy.  This is the vinyl playback that I compared to my ModWright Sony.  

ted_b:  I purchased the Revelation Audio interconnects and pc from Dan Wright.  I believe that you can purchase them directly from Dan, Revelation Audio or from this seller on Audiogon (I don't know if this is Revelation Audio; I can't seem to locate their web site now) --  http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablpowr&1105120493
I would definitely audition them before purchasing.  Given my experience in combining the VH Audio Flavor 4 and the Revelation Audio iinterconnects and pc (great synergy), I suspect that there may be some variability in the application of the Revelation Audio in a given system (which is probably true about all interconnects and pcs).  In my system, the Revelation Audio inteconnects and pc have a wonderful tonal quality that seems to be accurate and spot on.  Dan pointed out (if I have this correct) that both the interconnects and pc are using the same wire as is used in the upgraded umbillical on the ModWright Sony.  

Your video set-up sounds great.  I am not using equipment in the same league as your set-up.  
It sounds like the Sony also has great video promise.  I will have to check it out.

Thanks for all your support.  Raphael

modwright

Thank You Raphael!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2004, 06:23 am »
Thank you for your very frank and thorough review.  I certainly understand that it is difficult to commit to a unit without being able to audition it.  I do try to listen to my customers and determine their preferences, so that I know that I am making the right recommendation for that individual.

The Revelation Audio cables are relatively new to us, as we first carried the custom 'power' cables and I2S cable for the P.T gear.  I was impressed enough with their qualit to ask Brad to build us a custom tube supply umbilical and I am VERY pleased with how this turned out.  I have only more recently learned just how fantastic Brad's (Revelation Audio Labs) analog IC's and speaker cables are too, in additoin to their AC mains cable.

I now use the Paradise analog IC's and Testament speaker cables in my reference system and I am VERY pleased with their performance.  I am not typically a fan of silver cabling, but these are special and different.  I have typically found silver cables to cause over-emphasized highs and poor bass response.  I find the Revelation Audio Labs cables to offer excellent highs AND great bass.  In fact, the overall presentation is, to my ears, very balanced and revealing, top to bottom.  These are truly the best cables that I have heard to date.

We do represent the Revelation Audio Labs cables as well as the Audience Au24 products.  They are both excellent.

I feel that the Rev. Audio Labs cables offer an exceptional synergy with our modified players as well as our preamp and I take my hat off to Brad Vojtech - designer and owner of Revelation Audio Labs.

Dan W.

Raphael

Great job Dan.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2004, 01:32 pm »
:D  There are and have been a number of outstanding people who manufacture, modify, and sell audiophile equipment.  It is amazing to me that the people who head up these operations will gladly talk to you and give you their considered advice.  Some, but not all, of the companies and owners with whom I have spoken and obtained very helpful and insightful advice include (my memory eludes me as I write this posting so I will list the name of the company when I don't recall the owner with whom I spoke):  Berning equipment (David Berning), Sound Labs electrostatic speakers, Graham tonearm, Basis turntable, Jeff Rowland equipment, and Mike Hobson of Classic Records.  

I include Dan Wright in this group.  His modification of the Sony 999ES is truly inspired.  It has all the attributes of the very best cd players and, most importantly, is extremely musical and accurate (in my posting, I failed to note that the bass reproduction is remarkably tight and defined).  Dan clearly has the "ear" for producing the very best product and matching it with interconnects and power cord.  In my system, the Revelation Audio interconnects and pc are a great match to Dan's wonderfully modified Sony.  

All I can say to audiophiles who are searching for a first class cd playback system is check-out Dan Wright.  Thanks Dan.
Raphael

tnewell

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2004, 10:35 pm »
Intereested in trying the Amperex Tubes.  See link below.  Are these the tubes you are talking about?

Thanks

Tom

http://www.tubeman.com/item55.htm

modwright

Tooobs
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2004, 04:06 am »
Hi, I really don't know who the mfr. is for these.  I would hold out for true Amperex PQ 7119's.  I bought a quad for $60 a while back.  They are not that expensive.

Dan