Super V pics...

Danny Richie

Super V pics...
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:23 pm »

ebag4

Re: Super V pics...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:34 pm »
These look great Danny!  Did a client build these?  Is that the sub amp under the lower woofer, it appears to have an AC connection in the middle.

Edit: Nevermind, I am certain that is the connection point for the sub amp umbilical.

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:40 pm »
They were built by Denny. He wanted to be able to cut some flat packs to keep his CNC busy while he was doing other stuff. So he had to build out one pair to make sure it all fit properly. Most of it all screws together with hidden screws and stuff. He engineered it all very well.

The sub amps are not pictured. That is a SpeakOn connector in the middle for connecting the sub amp. 

There is a grill for the back also (not pictured).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:44 pm »
Danny,

Gorgeous. Really, out of this world. I am seriously thinking about OB H-frame GR Research/Rhythmik subs.

Fully built, how much are the Super V's going for?

Anand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »
Enclosures fininshed out like these are $3,500. (from Denny). The Super V kit is $2,495. My assembly is $500. So you are looking at about $6,500. plus some shipping cost.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:04 pm »
 :D soooo are there unfininshed flats for these ?? btw,those look real nice!!!!!! :D

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:01 pm »
From the side the edges appear to be rounded over a bit, from the front the sides appear to be full width, is this an optical illusion or are the edges rounded?

Also, the woofer section does not appear to sit flat on the base, is there a block between the bass section and the base or is the bass section simply elevated using the sides for support therby creating the 3% tilt? 

Thanks,
Ed

lowtech

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2009, 11:50 pm »
Edit: question withdrawn.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:49 am »
Awesome :)

They definitley look rounded over, the top of the top pic shows the angle in to the side panel.

How are the wires for the lower sub passed through the baffle, just drill a hole then seal it up with silicon or something?
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2009, 03:47 am by stevenkelby »

sl_1800

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2009, 03:01 am »
Danny, those really look fantastic.  Do you have that pair at your house???  I'll see you next week.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
    • 33 Degrees East WoodWorking
« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2009, 03:26 am »
Stunning lines on these, I cannot wait to see the drawings.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2009, 04:22 am »
From the side the edges appear to be rounded over a bit, from the front the sides appear to be full width, is this an optical illusion or are the edges rounded?

There is a knife edge cut down the sides to give it a little shape. Then the outer edges are slightly rounded. The inside edge has a smaller round over.

Also, the woofer section does not appear to sit flat on the base, is there a block between the bass section and the base or is the bass section simply elevated using the sides for support therby creating the 3% tilt?

The 3 degree tilt is built into the design: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

The sides do not touch the ground.

How are the wires for the lower sub passed through the baffle, just drill a hole then seal it up with silicon or something?

There are some small through holes. On future runs the small holes are just big enough for the wires to pass through. On this pair I filled some of the area around the wire with black putty. The No Rez then hides all the wiring.

Danny, those really look fantastic.  Do you have that pair at your house???  I'll see you next week.

Yes I do. I am without a DAC for the moment though so can't play anything through my Mac. I should have a Tranquility DAC here by next Thursday.

sl_1800

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2009, 11:39 am »
"I am without a DAC for the moment though so can't play anything through my Mac. I should have a Tranquility DAC here by next Thursday."

When I come down I will bring my DAC so I can hear them with your Mac.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:15 am »
So if you are waiting for the deal of the year, here it is.

The guy that was supposed to be buying these has still not transferred the funds. So they are now being made available.

The first $6,500 takes them home.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2009, 06:15 pm »
Can I put them on layaway?

Hmm... let's see.

$100 per month...

I should have them paid off by June of 2015! :wink:

Trismos

Re: Super V
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:10 pm »
I've been following some of the OB boards - I noticed that on some of the full range speakers like the Visaton B-200 8" there is no or limited cross over. There seems to be a fairly complicated cross over with the Super V. Why is that? Don't the A370's have their own eq to shape the bass cross over point? Shouldn't we need a rather simple low end cross over for the full ranger?

Edit

Holy 'duh moment'. Thx Hal

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:14 pm »
The P-Audio driver is a coaxial not a full range driver.  There has to be a crossover between the midrange and tweeter drivers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:45 pm »
What Hal said...

The crossover is actually very simple. Some of those parts are actually not in the direct signal path but are an impedance trap to keep the impedance flat.

nickd

« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:49 pm »

IMHO they just kill any fullrange driver I have ever heard. :uzi:

Most multi driver speakers too :lol:

Trismos

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm »
What Hal said...

The crossover is actually very simple. Some of those parts are actually not in the direct signal path but are an impedance trap to keep the impedance flat.

Interesting. I seem to recall reading that these speakers come with some options and upgrades that are not shown on your website Danny. A rear firing tweeter was one? Cap upgrades etc.. Is this detailed somewhere?