4 inch full range driver for ob….

skite30

4 inch full range driver for ob….
« on: 28 Dec 2023, 05:45 pm »
 I have a 15 inch pure audio project modified woofer in a 17 inch h-frame….looking for an approximate 4 inch full range driver to use with it….I have a sub amp and will cross over anywhere up to about 200 hz….  Using a pair of 2a3 monoblocks for the 4 inch driver….looking for suggestions….

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: 4 inch full range driver for ob….
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2023, 07:04 pm »
The first one that pops to my mind is the mark audio Pluvia 7HD.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-pluvia-seven-hd-4-metal-cone-full-range-gold/

Can be had in silver or copper (there has been no real gold or grey for well over a decade)

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2023, 07:04 pm »
What SPL do you need?
There is two nice 4'' from SB Acoustics.

skite30

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:20 am »
Not too concerned about the spl and and qts…listening nearfield ….5 feet…..certainly concerned about the mid bass… drivers I have heard and liked… the  pluvia and chr 70  gen 3 r high on my list …I like thevisaton  b80 and b100….  The fostex fe 108 variations….the sol looks really nice but seems hard to get here….. currently have the tang band w8-1808….just wanting to experiment a bit….u all know what I mean by that….

skite30

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:27 am »
Not familiar with the sb acoustics…which models r u referring too….?

skite30

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:46 am »
Should probably mention I mostly listen to jazz and female vocals….americana music…wilco and jason isbell…. Although the grateful dead is never far away…some jam band stuff…classic country….guess I could go on and on now I think about it…no rap or heavy metal though….

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:55 am »
SB Acoustics have various 4 inches alu or ceramics cones.
https://sbacoustics.com/product-category/family-product/pac-family-product/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:12 am »
The Mark Audio Pluvia that Planet 10 posted seems better that the SB drivers, that treble goes flat til 30kHz.
Great driver at $49.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:42 am »
Should probably mention I mostly listen to jazz and female vocals….americana music…wilco and jason isbell…. Although the grateful dead is never far away…some jam band stuff…classic country….guess I could go on and on now I think about it…no rap or heavy metal though….
This Mark Audio 4'' paper cone may fit well your refined taste, take a read on the driver description.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-chp-70-gen2-natural-paper/

skite30

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:39 pm »
The pluvia 7phd looks interesting as does the 7ms..any experience….have looked at the 1320….good ideas so far….thanks…..most of these drivers are inexpensive enough may buy several….

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2023, 08:37 pm »
markaudio-chp-70-gen2-natural-paper/\

Has an excellent midrange. Has a purposely suppressed HF above about 5k which won’t affect it as a midrange.

Ampslab XO article. You will have to request it. The most interesting bit is the LPon tyhe CHP-70.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2023, 08:38 pm »
...pluvia 7phd...

Could work as a midrange. Voiced for the Japanese market the midrange is elevated.

dave
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2023, 11:54 pm by planet10 »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2023, 10:07 pm »
Has an excellent midrange. Has a purposely suppressed HF above about 5k which won’t affect it as a midrange.

Ampslab XO article. You will have to request it. The most interesting bit is the LPon tyhe CHP-70.

dave
If I remember well Fostex also have a 4'' with HF attenuated but around $200/each not $36 as MarkAudio.

skite30

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2023, 04:48 am »
What r the differences between the pluvia 7 and 7.2…?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2023, 07:10 am »
What r the differences between the pluvia 7 and 7.2…?

The P7HD is based on teh A7.3. It has greater DDR/resolution and is the better driver.

The Pluvia 7 us notable in that it pretty much drops into any EL70 enclosure.

dave

skite30

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2023, 08:28 pm »
The,7ms is more of a mid range driver than a full range ….?   I have ordered a pair of the 7hd’s but am still open to more suggestions …..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2023, 08:38 pm »
I would suggest the Mark Áudio paper cone I mentioned in the post #8, the description are impressive, incredible price at  $36.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2023, 09:21 pm »
The,7ms is more of a mid range driver than a full range ….?   I have ordered a pair of the 7hd’s but am still open to more suggestions …..

A7ms is a bit more polarizing. It goes as low as most of the MA 4”, monoSuspension brings a bit greater DDR, bit i have found, bith it and the larger A11ms, some ringing in the top that is not as inconsequential as the some of the others. I am working on a tweak that mostly seems to cure the issue.

Listening to the first treated set of A11ms, they are better than stock i believe. i am doing some A7ms next.

For the use you propose you should find almost any of the 4” pleasing. Any issues with these drivers is not in the midrange.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jan 2024, 06:34 am »