Erik Satie?

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
Erik Satie?
« on: 4 Jan 2008, 06:46 pm »
Anybody listen to pieces done by this guy? They are some of the most amazingly haunting, yet somewhat simplistic piano pieces I have heard...

If you haven't checked out his works, you should! And if you have checked out his stuff (enter the real reason of this post) can you suggest anything in a similar vein? Being a pianist myself I'm always on the lookout for inspiration, and this guy does it for me and then some...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Erik Satie?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 07:44 pm »
I actually think music was just incidental to his social life.  He was a polymath, bon vivant and a rogue.  I like his music but not much depth there.   Edit:  I don't mean to be dismissive of his work.   I like his Socrate, commissioned by a real life lesbian princess to have only female voice, the best (my female vocal bias).  Debussy is probably the closest musically on account of Satie's supposed influence on young Debussy.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2008, 08:31 pm by woodsyi »

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2008, 07:51 pm »
There was an album done way back in the dark ages (perhaps the late 60's - early 70's) called the Electronic Spirit of Eric Satie. It obviously used synth's to interpret his haunting music. Made it more so in my opinion..

Good luck with your search,
Bob
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2008, 08:41 pm by BobM »

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:42 pm »
I like his music but not much depth there

Mmmm...That's my favorite part I think. The music is seemingly simple, not tons of layers...Just sparse, beautifully played keys. There's a group called Deaf Center who do stuff like that, but make use of more electronic sounds that I'm really into as well.

Bob, I'll have to check out what you suggested...sounds great!

jazzcan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2008, 09:32 pm »
One of my favourite Satie interpretations is the jazz CD version, "Satie: gymnopedies Gnossiennes" by the Jacques Loussier Trio, on Telelarc, 1998.   

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 10:22 pm »
Have to agree, the Loussier disc is really cool.....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2008, 11:39 pm »
Likewise, I'm a fan.

steve k

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 01:11 am »
I like Satie a lot also. One piece that is more from the Romantic era but has the same simple elegance of Satie's work are Grieg's Lyric Pieces for solo piano which I never get tired of listening to. There's a wonderful recording of Emil Gilels playing them on DG. Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives are also an interesting set of modern miniatures but each with a really different approach to rhythm and harmonics. Each piece is quite short but very different from the next in mood.

If you're really adventurous, Messiaen's "Vingt Regards sur l'enfant Jesus" is a stunning set of 21 pieces for solo piano that take about 2 hours to perform altogether. They are very abstract as is all of Messiaen but I find them fascinating once you get used to his wanderings between consonance and dissonance.

All these pieces are for solo piano BTW.

Enjoy,
steve

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2008, 07:31 pm »
Anybody listen to pieces done by this guy? They are some of the most amazingly haunting, yet somewhat simplistic piano pieces I have heard...

If you haven't checked out his works, you should! And if you have checked out his stuff (enter the real reason of this post) can you suggest anything in a similar vein? Being a pianist myself I'm always on the lookout for inspiration, and this guy does it for me and then some...

How about Debussy's Preludes?

Then again you might just want to stick with this . . .

:drool:  :wink:

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2008, 12:35 am »
Then again you might just want to stick with this . . .

:drool:  :wink:

I'll see your album cover and raise you a Rubber Johnny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48HTZUHfeQ

Thanks for all the suggestions all...I see some great music in my near future...

billybuck

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2008, 08:08 am »
Look for Satie's "Early Piano Works" by Reinbert de Leeuw. On paper, the idea of someone playing Satie's songs SLOWER than normal sounds like a snooze-fest. But there's something meditative and hypnotic about these recordings.

I second the Debussy recommendation. Look for the complete piano works as recorded by Walter Gieseking. This stuff was way ahead of its time. Even today it sounds modern.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2008, 05:36 pm »
Look for Satie's "Early Piano Works" by Reinbert de Leeuw. On paper, the idea of someone playing Satie's songs SLOWER than normal sounds like a snooze-fest. But there's something meditative and hypnotic about these recordings.

Actually, the only recording I own of Satie's works is played slow...It was the first time I had heard his works and I fell in love with it. A friend of mine played me a rendition (forget the artist's name...Maybe it's who you suggested?) where it was played faster...I didn't like it as much played faster. Felt too rushed...I love's me some slow piano.

BrianM

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2008, 07:45 pm »
FWIW I think the notion of "depth" in art is overrated...

srayle

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2008, 04:01 am »
You rang?

Erik

jackthecat

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:59 am »
One of my favourite Satie interpretations is the jazz CD version, "Satie: gymnopedies Gnossiennes" by the Jacques Loussier Trio, on Telelarc, 1998.   

I have just picked up this album second hand and am looking forward to listening !

Wally King

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2008, 01:10 pm »
A wonderful CD of Satie's orchestral music can be found on the Naxos label (http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.554279).

Included, besides the ubiquitous "Gymnopédies," is highly entertaining music written for the Cocteau/Picasso ballet "Parade" and the Dadaist ballet "Relache."

This is a nice alternative to most Satie recordings, which typically concentrate on his music for solo piano.

Alan

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2008, 05:19 pm »
Sparse, haunting, beautiful piano music... Arvo Part might fill the bill. Though most of his music is vocal, he has some lovely instrumental stuff. (Hope this works... a first for me)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tBCIFuqdjvw

Also try Morton Feldman's chamber music. Or, if you feel like venturing to the dark side:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MGHPNU1rk8c

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2008, 07:40 pm »
Sparse, haunting, beautiful piano music... Arvo Part might fill the bill. Though most of his music is vocal, he has some lovely instrumental stuff. (Hope this works... a first for me)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tBCIFuqdjvw

Also try Morton Feldman's chamber music. Or, if you feel like venturing to the dark side:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MGHPNU1rk8c

Sweet links man...Thanks. I liked that piece that Margaret Tan was playing in your second link. She also wrecks it on "In the Name of the Holocaust" (written originally by John Cage)...Good stuff!

Alan

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:05 pm »

Sweet links man...Thanks. I liked that piece that Margaret Tan was playing in your second link. She also wrecks it on "In the Name of the Holocaust" (written originally by John Cage)...Good stuff!

Glad you enjoyed... You play piano? I tried hard for a few years, decided I make a better listener. Crumb and Cage are great. Actually some of Cage's early piano works are kind of Satiesque. His more recent works have some interesting (and controversial) ideas, but aren't much to listen to imo. Ever try Rzewski? He gets my vote as top piano composer these days... not very sparse  and simple, though.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2008, 07:30 pm »

Glad you enjoyed... You play piano? I tried hard for a few years, decided I make a better listener. Crumb and Cage are great. Actually some of Cage's early piano works are kind of Satiesque. His more recent works have some interesting (and controversial) ideas, but aren't much to listen to imo. Ever try Rzewski? He gets my vote as top piano composer these days... not very sparse  and simple, though.

I actually do play piano (well keyboards). I really don't practice as much as I should...I learned scales and a bit of theory for a few years, and then applied that towards my own musical endeavors. I love the instrument, but it's really hard sometimes to get my butt planted and do the boring stuff it takes to become a better player...Scales, reading, etc...

Wow man...Just watched a video of somebody playing Rzewski's Winnsboro Cotton Mills Blues...Around 2 - 6 minutes. WOW. That was incredible...I'm so glad you dropped his name.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uDNy4YuCxdk&feature=related