Amadeus standard or GT

mark1965

Amadeus standard or GT
« on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:50 pm »
I just registered here and this is my first post. I am just hoping that someone who knows can clarify for me whether there is any sonic advantage to the GT over the standard Amadeus, or is it simply a matter of cosmetic differences?
I am eagerly anticipating purchasing a new Amadeus very soon and would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Mark

roscoeiii

Re: Amadeus standard or GT
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:47 pm »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AudioCircle. As I type this I am listening to the Superfly soundtrack on my WT Amadeus.

As you likely know from your research, the difference in the two models is just one of plinth material.  This is in contrast to the Simplex (not yet available in the US), which is a different design in a number of ways. I have not heard both side by side, and opinions tend to differ about whether there is an audible improvement in the GT. IIRC, some say that the Amadeus is a 30% improvement over the Simplex and the GT is another 30% over the regular Amadeus. Given the substantial similarities between the WTA and GT, I am a bit skeptical that the GT is that much of an improvement, if any, sonically.

Hopefully folks who live near a dealer who could listen to both side-by-side can chime in.

mark1965

Re: Amadeus standard or GT
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2011, 06:09 am »
Thanks for the reply and I do see that my question duplicates that of another recent thread for which I apologize.
Enthusiasm about the Amadeus got the best of me, I guess.
And from what I have read, that 30% difference in the models does seem a little dubious to me as well. But who knows, until I hear them.
I will attempt to get the GTA, but might opt for the less expensive model if that will get me spinning a lot sooner.
In any case, I think I will be happy with either one.