10" on the bottom

smithsonga

10" on the bottom
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2005, 07:00 pm »
David

Regarding SonicCraft scc300, my audio room will double as a theater...and I want subs even if I build your future 3-way speaker.  Should I get the SCC300 for this purpose before they are gone or are some of the Adire units or others just fine for HT use mainly?

Thx
Jim

Al Garay

10" on the bottom
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2005, 10:06 pm »
Are you concerned about the size of the cabinet? The SCC300 is a very fine woofer that can work well as a subwoofer but it needs a big cabinet.  Dr. J (Jeff Glowacki) recommends at least 3.0 cubic feet in a sealed box for sub. I had one in a 4.0 cf box and produced plenty of bass, the problem was it caused room modes and was a bit unbalanced even when I had a low crossover point of 50Hz. I tried two in 2.5 cubic foot sealed and had better balance but not enough impact... really should have had 3.0 cubic foot box. Or you could do 2 in an isobarik configuration in one 2.0 cubic foot cabinet. Get 4 of them so you have two 2.0 cubic foot cabinets per side.

If you have a large budget, I would go for a pair of Adire Tumult 12" or a single Adire Tumult 15" using their ADA1200 which has room eq, built in Linkwitz transformer, 4th order adjustable active crossover... built like a tank. But not cheap. You run the Ellis' full range and let the plate-amp cover 40Hz and below.

smithsonga

10" on the bottom
« Reply #42 on: 19 May 2005, 12:16 am »
My budget could handle 2 $99 scc300 but not tumult etc...

Do you think HT would be wise to do 2 boxes on either side of front of room or 2 scc300s in one cabinet in one corner?

Jim

randog

10" on the bottom
« Reply #43 on: 19 May 2005, 12:43 am »
The SCC300 is more than enough for HT. I have a pair and use them under my Ellis monitors and am very happy with them.

They are superbly constructed and an absolute steal at $99!

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
10" on the bottom
« Reply #44 on: 19 May 2005, 01:28 am »
The SCC300 sealed in about 3.5 cubic feet has an F3 of about 36hz F10 of about 20hz. This balanced nicely in my room with no drone.  However, it might NOT make folks happy that want the droning "boom boom" sound in their room.  It also appeared that Al Garay found a disproportionate amount of boom boom in his room.  The SCC300's relative high sensitivity at 8 ohms nominal (90db) is directly proportional to the size of cabient required.  For every 3db of sensitivity drop, the cabinet size can be halved.  For the "same" 8 ohm woofer at 87db @ 2.83 volts the cabinet could be 1.5 to 2 cubic feet.

For the "same" 4 ohm woofer at 87db @ 2.83 volts the cabient size would be .75 to 1 cubic feet.  This is because there is a 3db simple mathematical gain of the 4 ohm woofer.  The effective current (and voice coil thermal compression) of a 8 ohm 84db @ 2.83 volt woofer is equivalent to the voice coil thermal compression of a 4 ohm 87db @ 2.83 volt woofer.  Both of these woofers will flow the same amount of current.

There IS a reason high sensitivity drivers are better - less thermal compression. The cost is a significantly larger cabinet given the same bass extension.

This explanation is probably more than what you expected.  I suppose it's another way of conveying the SCC300 is very clean, but was designed more for clean bass than "boom boom".  I think the SCC300 is a killer woofer, and agree with Randog in this vein.  I think a single is sufficient, but 2 in either front corner will provide more a more symmetrical bass soundstage.  

My 2c.

Dave

Al Garay

10" on the bottom
« Reply #45 on: 19 May 2005, 05:51 am »
Jim,

Make sure your budget can handle the shipping cost. You're looking at about 60lbs with packaging.  Dennis Murphy considers the SCC300s to be incredible bargain (I think he used more colorful language) at $99/each.

Marbles

10" on the bottom
« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2005, 01:22 pm »
Dennis uses an 85 L sealed enclosure and does seem enthusiastic about them...