WTL Amadeus GTA Platter Mats

Backwell

WTL Amadeus GTA Platter Mats
« on: 27 Apr 2020, 11:53 am »
A few weeks ago I removed the platter mat, an Auditorium 23, from my turntable and to my surprise I found I liked the sound better. I seem to recall someone saying a while ago that you didn't need a mat on the Amadeus GTA, has anyone ever heard that or even experimented without a mat. It could be that my VTA is now better dialled in without the mat, whatever it is, I am now only using my mat as a dust cover. I'm still loving the WTL after 7 years of use, I see there is a new 254 model available, has anyone bought one yet ?

ADiG

Re: WTL Amadeus GTA Platter Mats
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm »
Hi,
that there is an improvement, I do not doubt it but, the problem would be to change the disc with the plate in motion.
However, I had Hommage 23, taller and heavier, but when I found that it was slightly eccentric, I opted for the original foam, because the eccentricity of the Hommage, given the weight, could affect the performance of the rotation.
In my opinion, Mr. Firebaugh designed the Amadeus in the smallest details and it is better to stick to the original accessories, such as the transmission belt that he chose to minimize vibrations. Needless to put nylon, carbon, dental wire. The polyester thread, if stretched like a guitar string ... doesn't sound!
Regards

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2020, 02:50 pm »
There is no way the eccentricity of the Hommage mat would have any impact on the table.  It is not heavy enough to have any impact.  It is the best sounding mat I've ever used and will keep mine regardless of what table I own. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2020, 04:15 pm »
There is no way the eccentricity of the Hommage mat would have any impact on the table.  It is not heavy enough to have any impact.  It is the best sounding mat I've ever used and will keep mine regardless of what table I own.

Agreed 100%. I've had the basic A23 mat on my Amadeus for years. In my research and the possibility of going with the Hommage  mat at some point, I have never heard of an "eccentricity" ( or weight? ) issue. I'm as baffled as Erocka2000  :scratch:

ADiG

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2020, 07:05 pm »
The Auditorium Hommage 23 mat (the 3 millimeter one) is quite heavy, more than 100 grams!
Being mine, with the hole not centered perfectly, watching it turn from above, it was perfectly clear that the rotation was imperfect. In my experience, this can affect wow and flutter.
However, I do not seem to have perceived all great quality from a mat of fabric and rubber, even an expensive one.
I prefer the original foam mat, which weighs like air and, with its 4 millimeters thick, allows me to easily change the disc on the go.
Regards

Kimiimacman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2020, 10:37 pm »
Agreed 100%