Data Usage

Don_S

Data Usage
« on: 8 Aug 2019, 06:25 pm »
I am looking at changing my service provider from Comcast to AT&T. AT&T has additional charges when data usage exceeds certain limits. I think the limits might change based upon the plan chosen but I want some information before I discuss plans with them. One plan allows 1TB/month with an additional $10 charge for each 50GB/month. Speed is up to 300Mbps

I do not currently stream TV but may decide to do so in the future. I suppose AT&T would allow me to upgrade my plan at any time. I currently have my computer on much of the day with multiple windows open. 5 days a week I run Fidelity Active Trader Pro for 5-6 hours. It streams quotes.

I have no idea what my data usage rate is. Is there a way for me to check usage? I have no clue what 1TB/month means in actual usage.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Data Usage
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2019, 08:52 pm »
When looking at plans they ALL have a "THROTTLE" limit.   Throttle is a point in you limit that they can slow you speed.  Even my unlimited Xfinity has a Throttle.

You can check you Windows computer  via Settings, Internet and on the left side is data usage.   That will only show the single computer.

If you have a wifi router depending on brand etc it will also have a Usage menu.

Any smart device will also have a data usage and that info will be different per item.

And don't forget that you can look up different dates/months when looking at any of the above said items.   You will also may be able to see App's usage for a said time period.

And if you are thinking of streaming, Netflix states for 1TB equals 1000 Hours standard DEF or 333 hours of High def.

We watch about 2.5 hours a day of Netflix a day and that used 3% of my I TB a month.   

Alan

srb

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2019, 09:07 pm »
Just log into My Account on the Comcast / XFINITY website and you can track your total current data usage and history.

Most all ISPs have similar usage tracking.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2019, 07:44 pm »
Thanks Alan and Steve. Now I have a much better perspective.

Data usage on Comcast. May and June 24GB  July 26GB

While I was on the Comcast/Xfinity site I checked my speeds. Two back-to-back tests with nothing connected except my main computer via WiFi.

Download 2.1 and 1.5 Mbps. Upload 2.5 & 2.3Mbps.

My plan is for up to 60Mbps. I know that technically 0.00000001Mbps is "up to 60" but shouldn't the speeds be better?  :(

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2019, 07:45 pm »
Deleted duplicate.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2019, 07:53 pm »
That sounds slow.  There are some pointers on things to look at on the  comcast site  also.

The first is age of computer and speed  of it ethernet card.

Next buy some fancy cables with gold and cryo treatments,  only use exotic items for cable stand.

Just kidding but that is pretty slow.  I also get difftent readings using diffrent web sites. I think the comcast link is Netflix???  Try Speedtest.net.

Alan

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2019, 08:45 pm »
My speedtest.net resilts
14ms ping (about 200 mile)
download 35.47 mbps very steady too straight line... no ups and downs.
upload 4.73 mbps also steady as can be.
This with a cable co. coax line to WiFi dirt cheap old/poor rate... Slowest you can get.  :thumb:

Choosing a different server farther away did not change the speeds, except the ping test took 18ms.

The problem for Don_S ... may be with your WiFi??

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2019, 08:49 pm »
Speedtest.net 3 back-to-back tests with only one computer connected via WiFi.

Download 0.62, 0.54, 0.79Mbps

Upload 0.35, 4.14, 4.05Mbps

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2019, 09:08 pm »
Agreed with Elizabeth, could be wifi.  Do you have a way to test plugged directly in to router?

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2019, 09:28 pm »
Two back-to-back tests with nothing connected except my main computer via WiFi.

Download 2.1 and 1.5 Mbps. Upload 2.5 & 2.3Mbps.

My plan is for up to 60Mbps. I know that technically 0.00000001Mbps is "up to 60" but shouldn't the speeds be better?  :(

Boy oh boy does your WiFi suck big time, time for new modems and/or a new computer with a better WiFi card. Run an ethernet cable to your computer and you should get 60Mbps.
The Speedtest location will also change your speeds as will old vs. a new Cat5e ethernet cable, my ping time went down with a new cable.

Century Link is rolling out fiber in Tucson, what's amazing is the price for the new 80 Mbps speed is exactly the same $95 per month (for life) with a land line (old school) as the old 12 Mbps line. And it doesn't appear that Century Link has a throttle limit.

30 day data usage: 425 GB
Ping: 20ms
Download speed: 82.67 Mbps
Upload: 10.20 Mbps

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2019, 10:48 pm »
My router/modem mounted in a wall in a communication box with a metal cover. Note, I purchased the router/modem at Best Buy. This is not one owned by Comcast where they have access to "borrow" capacity.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-ac-1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/5791602.p?skuId=5791602

I have another W10 Pro computer in a bedroom connected via Ethernet. I can check that this weekend.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2019, 11:39 pm »
I've gone on a couple of service calls to troubleshoot poor Wi-Fi performance where the wireless router was sitting on the floor up against a metal filing cabinet.  Simply moving the router up on a shelf away from large metal objects was the primary fix.

Having your device enclosed in a metal box would be the best way I can think of to discourage any Wi-Fi transmission at all!  ;)

Some routers have external antenna connections which can be a solution to problems like this, but most all-in-one gateways (like yours) don't have external antennas.

Checking your speeds from your Ethernet-connected computer will be the next step in determining if Wi-Fi is compromised.

If so, the device may have to be relocated outside of its Faraday cage or install a separate remote wireless access point (and disable the router's internal Wi-Fi).

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2019, 01:18 am »
I had considered installing a separate access point but was confused by the recommendations of the Best Buy associate. I would put it in my spare bedroom where my other computer is connected via Ethernet. I do not use the desk there very much so I would have room for the unit.

Now I will wait until I make a decision on my future internet provider. If I switch to AT&T I will be getting a new modem/router and it might be installed in a different location.