What LPs have you listened to recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #6220 on: 14 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm »
Nice score, Quiet and Roscoe.  Thanks from here.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6221 on: 15 Mar 2013, 03:42 am »
Roscoeiii put me on to this (actually he put it in my hands in the record store and said "a present") and damn was he right. This twofer contains all the recorded material Monk and Coltrane did together, and it sounds fantastic. A massive bargain and vinyl only (why I have no clue).

Nice score.  Those Prestige 2-fers are from the early '70s and are mostly compilations from '50s records and misc sessions. 
Monk had his cabaret card reinstated, and in 1957 did a 6 month gig at the Five Spot in NYC with Trane, Wilbur Ware and Shadow Wilson - the house band, can you imagine?  The only complete records that emerged from that time was studio sessions for Riverside and released on Jazzland - Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane (I have the OJC), and on Riverside - Theloneous Himself.  Trane was signed with Prestige and virtually none of that 6 mo gig, was recorded.  Another larger group with Trane was recorded and issued as Monk's Music.  A tape of a reunuon session with Trane sitting in for Johnny Griffin was later released on Blue Note.  In 2005 a Voice of America recording of the quartet was discovered.  This is the Carnegie Hall concert of 11/29/57, on Blue Note. 
After that stint with Monk, Trane joined the Miles Davis band and not long after, they recorded Kind of Blue.

There are a couple of Red Garland 2-fers in that Prestige 2400 series - highly recommended.  As is Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, Mingus, Miles, Jerry Mulligan and many many more.  The only possible downside is buying both the 2-fer and the single album and not realizing it's a duplicate. I just look at it as an abundance of riches.
neo

jawaka

« Reply #6222 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:19 am »
Syd Barret is back and he lives in Holland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjlXKliYYA

jawaka

« Reply #6223 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:32 am »
Nuggets!

orthobiz

« Reply #6224 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:09 am »

We lived off this album back in the 60's!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #6225 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:11 am »
My favorite B&S album. Highly recommended.

This 1 hour PitchforkTV special is highly recommended. Just came across it...Guaranteed you'll love it.

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4de-RHHLCBA

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6226 on: 15 Mar 2013, 01:30 pm »
Roscoeiii put me on to this (actually he put it in my hands in the record store and said "a present") and damn was he right. This twofer contains all the recorded material Monk and Coltrane did together, and it sounds fantastic. A massive bargain and vinyl only (why I have no clue).

QG,
Here are those albums on OJC - Original Jazz Classics re-issues, pressings starting from the '80s. They're consistently good.

Thelonious Himself is a solo album with one cut featuring the '57 group with Trane.
neo

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6227 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:37 pm »
Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls
lp

Opening track, "Hold On" is a great, 'rootsy' rock tune.

samples;
http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Shakes/e/B00771HNTQ/ref=ac_dpt_sa_music

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6228 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm »

etcarroll

« Reply #6229 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm »
The Byrds Greatest Hits 
The Byrds | Format: Vinyl

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6230 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:31 pm »
The Byrds Greatest Hits 
The Byrds | Format: Vinyl

Columbia 360 ?? or later pressing ??

quietglow

« Reply #6231 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:14 am »
Nice score.  Those Prestige 2-fers are from the early '70s and are mostly compilations from '50s records and misc sessions. 
Monk had his cabaret card reinstated, and in 1957 did a 6 month gig at the Five Spot in NYC with Trane, Wilbur Ware and Shadow Wilson - the house band, can you imagine?  The only complete records that emerged from that time was studio sessions for Riverside and released on Jazzland - Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane (I have the OJC), and on Riverside - Theloneous Himself.  Trane was signed with Prestige and virtually none of that 6 mo gig, was recorded.  Another larger group with Trane was recorded and issued as Monk's Music.  A tape of a reunuon session with Trane sitting in for Johnny Griffin was later released on Blue Note.  In 2005 a Voice of America recording of the quartet was discovered.  This is the Carnegie Hall concert of 11/29/57, on Blue Note. 
After that stint with Monk, Trane joined the Miles Davis band and not long after, they recorded Kind of Blue.

There are a couple of Red Garland 2-fers in that Prestige 2400 series - highly recommended.  As is Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, Mingus, Miles, Jerry Mulligan and many many more.  The only possible downside is buying both the 2-fer and the single album and not realizing it's a duplicate. I just look at it as an abundance of riches.
neo
I love this thread: you suggest one awesome album you're listening to, and you're rewarded with multiples in response. Thanks Neo.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6232 on: 16 Mar 2013, 07:52 am »
This album isn't new except to me and it's got some seriously good, organic sound to it:

Brushfire Fairy Tales- Jack Johnson (Everloving Records)

quietglow

« Reply #6233 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:23 pm »
Also, Paul:

If you like that B&S vid, you'll probably also like this

http://www.amazon.com/Belle-Sebastian-Fans-Only/dp/B00009B8EX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363436561&sr=8-1&keywords=belle+and+sebastian+fans+only

It's a great way to kill a couple of hours.

etcarroll

« Reply #6234 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:07 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6235 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:40 pm »
Columbia 360 ?? or later pressing ??

I have the Columbia 360 and the British CBS pressings. The British sounds better to my ears.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6236 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:44 pm »
A little rock n roll on a Saturday morning before hitting the links. The debut solo album by the Smith's guitarist.  :thumb:

etcarroll

« Reply #6237 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:13 pm »
Body of Song 
Bob Mould | Format: Vinyl

A little more rock guitar for Saturday morn, but no links here, pruning shrubs instead,  :cry:

samples;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0009VI50C/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6238 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:29 pm »
We are having an early spring. This is the earliest I can remember the course being open on 18 permanent greens in several years. :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6239 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:55 pm »

Yea, yea, I know it's Madonna. Never really cared for her until this LP. That's when I realized if she sang music I liked, it made all the difference. She's certainly can sing. Besides, I've had a penchant for Italian-American women singers since Annette :oops:, and that includes, Cindy Lauper, Maria Muldaur, and God forgive me Lady Gaga.

Doc
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm by Devil Doc »