microRendu use case help

RoadTripper

microRendu use case help
« on: 10 Apr 2019, 03:44 pm »
This topic is probably in one of these threads somewhere but maybe not. I want to know if my setup could benefit from a microRendu. From what I can read about it the device sounds like it's a specially made standalone sound card meant to replace the pedestrian sound cards that are embedded in laptops. But maybe not. I've never seen it described that way. If I'm right then it sounds like a move in the right direction for those of us who want to make a dramatic improvement in SQ.

My use case is to run Qobuz on my laptop and employ the microRendu to work around the limitations of my laptop's sound card. I don't care about NAS or network files. Qobuz has everything I want.  Is this a possible use case of microRendu?

RDavidson

Re: microRendu use case help
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2019, 10:26 pm »
That's not really how it works. It's not a sound card nor a DAC. It is an endpoint or renderer. You connect it to your router via Ethernet. Then connect it to your DAC via USB. You can control it from any computer connected to your router (directly or via WiFi). I control mine from my smart phone. It isn't like Bluetooth. My phone isn't streaming the signal to it. The network is handling that via the Ethernet connection. Think of it as a small computer optimized for audio, but without the noise and other junk that computers litter your audio with. I use mine to listen to Spotify in the background while I work every day. It is compatible with Qobuz and Tidal too, but I haven't tried those services yet. I need to.

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2019, 11:44 pm »
Thanks. So in my case somehow the Qobuz app which I have installed and running on my laptop would still be the interface to the Qobuz servers running wherever they are?

How does my laptop know what's hanging off my router? Or better yet, how does the Qobuz app know to serve up the bytes to the microRendu rather than to my soundcard?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design

heyhsia

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2019, 05:23 am »
If the majority of my listening is from Spotify at the highest quality setting, will I benefit from using the microrendu?

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2019, 09:41 pm »
This topic is probably in one of these threads somewhere but maybe not. I want to know if my setup could benefit from a microRendu. From what I can read about it the device sounds like it's a specially made standalone sound card meant to replace the pedestrian sound cards that are embedded in laptops. But maybe not. I've never seen it described that way. If I'm right then it sounds like a move in the right direction for those of us who want to make a dramatic improvement in SQ.

My use case is to run Qobuz on my laptop and employ the microRendu to work around the limitations of my laptop's sound card. I don't care about NAS or network files. Qobuz has everything I want.  Is this a possible use case of microRendu?

I can't comment on the Microrendu. I have my PC hooked up to a Klipsch Powergate integrated amp. As part of the DTS Playfi ecosystem it has an app that enables it to stream Quboz in hirez as well as a bunch of other streaming services.All you would need to do is connect speakers (and a sub if you want). You can run Quboz from the desktop app via USB if you want or just use the Playfi app and you can enable Quboz from your phone or a tablet or a PC.The SQ is excellent.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2019, 02:01 am »
If the majority of my listening is from Spotify at the highest quality setting, will I benefit from using the microrendu?

Yes. I do this. I have a microRendu with Sbooster power supply. Spotify isn't audiophile quality by any means, but it's great for what it is. Some music sounds surprisingly quite good. The benefit of the microRendu is that it isn't a computer (like a laptop). It's a purpose built device solely for audio.

heyhsia

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2019, 05:39 pm »
RDavidson, thank you for the info; based on your feedback I'm going ahead with a purchase.  I've found Spotify at 320kbps is a good supplement to my FLAC library and gets me close enough.