HT2-TL vs HT3 vs ?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
HT2-TL vs HT3 vs ?
« on: 30 Aug 2011, 06:08 pm »
It’s just bad when you can't be satisfied with what you got. My HT2-TL are great, my problem is I can not keep from wondering what the next step up would be. So the question is where does a person go from HT2-TL's.

Is the HT3 a large step up?  :scratch:
Is there another Salk speaker design that would be less expensive than the SoundScape? :icon_twisted:
Is there another Salk design that would rival the SoundScape? :thumb:

TJHUB

Re: HT2-TL vs HT3 vs ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2011, 06:51 pm »
It’s just bad when you can't be satisfied with what you got. My HT2-TL are great, my problem is I can not keep from wondering what the next step up would be. So the question is where does a person go from HT2-TL's.

Is there another Salk speaker design that would be less expensive than the SoundScape? :icon_twisted:
Is there another Salk design that would rival the SoundScape? :thumb:

Great!  Now you have me wondering...  I was happy with my HT2-TL's until I read your post.  Thanks.  :P

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2011, 06:53 pm »

Is the HT3 a large step up?  :scratch:  Not large
Is there another Salk speaker design that would be less expensive than the SoundScape? :icon_twisted: No.
Is there another Salk design that would rival the SoundScape? :thumb: No.

Essentially you are hosed!

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2011, 09:05 pm »
I think you would get a lot more bang for your buck with room treatments or electronics upgrades. Room treatments make an enormous difference if you don't have them already. If your HT2-TL already has the RAAL tweeter then I think diminishing returns are going to kick in here pretty quickly.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm »
Kip_   I agree with you a 100% I have all the room treatment I can use right now or until I relocate. One exception is I really would like to do away with some of my panels and substitute diffusion or better let combine diffusion and absorption.

Bigun, I know there’s no answer to my questions. What does hosed mean?? :lol: loll ! What my purpose was to challenge Mr. Salk to come up with a new speaker line.

TJHUB, I have no sympathy for you at all. You got your HT2TL right before I did. I remember exactly what you told me, and I quote: If you really are seriously ordering the HT2-Tls, get ready for the most amazing speaker ever.  You had a major influence on me buying mine. You were correct and I still am amazed. But then came the SoundScapes, The top of the line. Amazing speakers so I hear, but the looks throw me off.

I guess I am hosed, whatever that means

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm »
Kip_   I agree with you a 100% I have all the room treatment I can use right now or until I relocate. One exception is I really would like to do away with some of my panels and substitute diffusion or better let combine diffusion and absorption.

Bigun, I know there’s no answer to my questions. What does hosed mean?? :lol: loll ! What my purpose was to challenge Mr. Salk to come up with a new speaker line.

TJHUB, I have no sympathy for you at all. You got your HT2TL right before I did. I remember exactly what you told me, and I quote: If you really are seriously ordering the HT2-Tls, get ready for the most amazing speaker ever.  You had a major influence on me buying mine. You were correct and I still am amazed. But then came the SoundScapes, The top of the line. Amazing speakers so I hear, but the looks throw me off.

I guess I am hosed, whatever that means

I was obviously kidding in my post.  It sounds like you have the room treatment thing taken care of, so what are you running for electronics?  One thing I can assure you is that the HT2-TL's WILL respond positively to "better" front end electronics and cables (yes cables too - I feel sorry for those that don't "believe".  I've gotten more and more from my HT2-TL's with the right upgrades and tweaking.  I'll bet anything I'll get even more soon.

So what is it that leaves you wanting for something "better" than your HT2-TL's?  Is there something specific, or are you just like me and yearn to own the best out there?  I think I can help you if there is something specific .  I've learned a lot over the last couple of years and especially the last few months.  I can share if you'd like, but I won't do it in this thread.  PM me if you want to discuss further.

I'm pretty excited about getting an opportunity to hear a pair of SoundScape Monitors my friend bought recently, and I think Jim Salk is bring a pair of SoundScape 10's or 12's to a Chicago Audio Club meeting in September.  I can't wait to finally hear them and meet Jim for the first time if possible.  I'll let you know if I think they're worth the $$$. 

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm »
Would actually love to hear the full Salk line.  I've only had the pleasure of the Soundscape and one other speaker at the Capital Audiofest.  Much is rather theory without the ability to hear them in like circumstances at the same time.  I have to say that there are not tons of things that have impressed me in recent years with the state of my current main system. The Soundscape was definitely impressive.

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:40 am »
I'm pretty excited about getting an opportunity to hear a pair of SoundScape Monitors my friend bought recently, and I think Jim Salk is bring a pair of SoundScape 10's or 12's to a Chicago Audio Club meeting in September.  I can't wait to finally hear them and meet Jim for the first time if possible.  I'll let you know if I think they're worth the $$$.

didn't know you were in the hood! please let us know here if the chicago area get together comes about, i would like to go too!

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:47 am »
didn't know you were in the hood! please let us know here if the chicago area get together comes about, i would like to go too!

Deal!  Here is the info: (see reply #13)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97211.0

Nuance from AC and I plan to attend.  Warpdrv, who just picked up a pair of SoundScape Monitors may come along as well.  We're not "in the hood", we're all from Wisconsin.  :D

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:51 am »

I'm pretty excited myself Terry....   Its truly killing me that I got screwed by UPS on this one, or I would have some time in with the SS M7's already....  Tomorrow is the big day after a week looking at a single speaker :(

As soon as I read this post I thought of TJHUB....   then I saw his posts... 

Terry has some amazing equipment and has in my opinion the best subs on the planet... 
HT2-TL's with the TC-Sounds 18" LMS subs = quite the combination IMO...

I'm hoping to best his setup with the driver compliment of the SoundScape Monitor 7's + 18" LMS , but I will need to upgrade my electronics to come close....   http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%20m7%20monitor%20-%20home.htm

In all honesty, I think that good monitors plus separate subs will trump 2 channel full range speakers all day every day...  As great as the SoundScape 10's and 12's are, one won't have the flexibility of subwoofer placement which IMO is key to integration depending on the room....

There are plenty of ways to skin a KAT :)

TJHUB

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:00 am »
I'm pretty excited myself Terry....   Its truly killing me that I got screwed by UPS on this one, or I would have some time in with the SS M7's already....  Tomorrow is the big day after a week looking at a single speaker :(

As soon as I read this post I thought of TJHUB....   then I saw his posts... 

Terry has some amazing equipment and has in my opinion the best subs on the planet... 
HT2-TL's with the TC-Sounds 18" LMS subs = quite the combination IMO...

I'm hoping to best his setup with the driver compliment of the SoundScape Monitor 7's + 18" LMS http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%20m7%20monitor%20-%20home.htm, but I will need to upgrade my electronics to come close....   

In all honesty, I think that good monitors plus separate subs will trump 2 channel full range speakers all day every day...  As great as the SoundScape 10's and 12's are, one won't have the flexibility of subwoofer placement which IMO is key to integration depending on the room....

There are plenty of ways to skin a KAT :)

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you.  We're all like little kids when we get new gear.  You really got a bad deal from your friends at UPS.  If the other speaker shows up tomorrow and in perfect condition, it's all water under the bridge.  Let me know when I can stop by for a visit!

I'm so looking forward to hearing the SoundScapes, but I agree with Warpdrv, the bass from the 18" LMS's is the best I've ever heard.  I expect the SS M7's with your single LMS to be a perfect match.

I sure hope I don't start lusting after SoundScape 10's or the M7 Monitors after getting to hear them!  Although that is my plan if my business takes off over the next couple of years.  :wink:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:18 am »
My friend has ht2tls and I have ht3s

The ht3s. Have a more resolving high end and tighter bass
Imaging is more refined

That said. If I had ht2's I would be happy with them and enhance the experience upgrading other lesser components in your system.

Then order the ht3s

That said I'm in the process of placing my soundscape order

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:19 am »
I have a feeling that your perceptions of SS M7's quite possible will live or die by my equipment driving them.

Might I suggest you bring down your far exceptional gear to my house and we can make a go of it then  :green:
I'll take care of the subs bit...   
Lets keep in mind that I dragged my pair of Paradigm Sig S8's up to his place....   Would have brought a pair of the subs but ahhh  perhaps he can fill ya in why that wasn't happening... :D

BTW - my order is in with Jim for the HT2c, I hope I haven't been too much a PIA with my custom look, but terry is likely rolling his eyes reading this...

TJHUB

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:32 am »
I have a feeling that your perceptions of SS M7's quite possible will live or die by my equipment driving them.

Might I suggest you bring down your far exceptional gear to my house and we can make a go of it then  :green:
I'll take care of the subs bit...   
Lets keep in mind that I dragged my pair of Paradigm Sig S8's up to his place....   Would have brought a pair of the subs but ahhh  perhaps he can fill ya in why that wasn't happening... :D

BTW - my order is in with Jim for the HT2c, I hope I haven't been too much a PIA with my custom look, but terry is likely rolling his eyes reading this...

Yes I am rolling my eyes at you! :roll:  It's only fair if you consider how many times you rolled your eyes at me!! :wink:

mwallick

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2011, 02:35 pm »
I am awaiting delivery of my HT3s. They will replace my latest-generation HT2 TLs. (Inquiries welcome on the 2s.) I've heard the Soundscapes, but not the 3s. Here's what I expect, based mainly on communication with HT3 owners, Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy. The 3s will have superior base in a very audible octave. Also, the 3-way design will free up the midrange for a tad more clarity. As I understand it, the 3s have the same woofer as in the Soundcape 10. Obviously, they don't have the passive radiators.

I hasten to note that the HT2s are the best speakers I have ever owned. That includes Merlin VMXEs, Revel F50s, Wilson Watt Puppies, JMLab 1027 be, and several Thiels. I expect the 3s to be even better, though.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2011, 02:49 pm »

In my opinion, no, it's not.  As mentioned above, the highs are a bit more refined, the midrange is a touch more resolving, and the bass punch is harder, faster and tighter.  The difference is noticeable, yes, but not "large."  I wouldn't upgrade from HT2-TL's until I was darn sure my room and front end electronics were in order, and maybe yours are...I don't know. :)  However, if I did have your speakers and was ready to upgrade them, I'd move to SS monitors (like Warpdrv's) or those SS Jr's with the 8" woofers.  YMMV.

kip_

« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:00 pm »
In my opinion, no, it's not.  As mentioned above, the highs are a bit more refined

We need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. Does the OP's HT2's have the RAAL or the LCY tweeter?

If his HT2's have the RAALs then I don't understand how the highs could be different, unless the baffle is playing a big role. If he has the older ribbons then I agree he will notice a difference here.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:19 pm »
I have LCY's and have no desire to change to Raals.  If everything in my system and room were tweaked to the max and I had to stay in this price bracket, then maybe out of boredom I would sell my present pair and go with a Raal pair.

There was always the risk that the HT2TL would be so close to the HT3 in performance that HT3 sales would slip.  But then with SSes why wouldn't you skip over the HT3? :green:

I wish I had my HT3's today to see how they would fair with my present gear, but I'll look forward to SS-land. :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:52 pm »
In my opinion, no, it's not.  As mentioned above, the highs are a bit more refined, the midrange is a touch more resolving, and the bass punch is harder, faster and tighter.  The difference is noticeable, yes, but not "large."  I wouldn't upgrade from HT2-TL's until I was darn sure my room and front end electronics were in order, and maybe yours are...I don't know. :)  However, if I did have your speakers and was ready to upgrade them, I'd move to SS monitors (like Warpdrv's) or those SS Jr's with the 8" woofers.  YMMV.

And did you perform a comparison in the same room with the same exact system?  If not, the conclusions are suspect.

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm »
We need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. Does the OP's HT2's have the RAAL or the LCY tweeter?

If his HT2's have the RAALs then I don't understand how the highs could be different, unless the baffle is playing a big role. If he has the older ribbons then I agree he will notice a difference here.

Good point; I wrongly assumed he had the LCY tweeters.

And did you perform a comparison in the same room with the same exact system?  If not, the conclusions are suspect.

Suspect?  Like I said, YMMV.  I have heard both speakers at RMAF and also in separate systems.  Maybe your opinion of my opinion is suspect?  There, you see how silly that sounds now?  :roll: