Jim and Dennis interview on SoundScape design

fsimms

Jim and Dennis interview on SoundScape design
« on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:38 am »
Here is an excellent interview with Jim and Dennis about the development of the SoundScapes.

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/06/salk-signature-soundscape-speaker/

Bob

Edit: "Frequency response: 18 Hz to 20,000 Hz ± 1dB for SS12, 19 Hz to 20,000 Hz ± 1 dB for SS10"  Incredible!!!!

Mudslide

Re: Jim and Dennis interview on SoundScape design
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2010, 05:22 am »
Thanks for the link.

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2010, 01:49 pm »
Excellent interview! :D

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2010, 01:58 pm »
Very good read. Freq. response on the SS10 versus the SS12 is very impressive indeed. Can't wait for them to get here.  :)

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2010, 02:26 pm »
Great interview.  Reading interviews like this that reveal how passionate and dedicated Jim and Dennis are makes me wish both of them were immortal and could forever design superior speakers. :) :lol:

Seriously, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather purchase from.  The sound is unbeatable for the price, and the character and dedication of this entire team of designers is unmatched IMO.

cacophony777

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2010, 04:39 pm »
Reading this makes me really proud to own Salk speakers.

Has a price been revealed yet?

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:16 pm »
 :thumb: great interview...  thanks for the link,  I love the attitude both Jim and Dennis exude in stuff like this, and in my personal dealings with them both.  This article makes me want a pair of SoundScapes even more.

I think my favorite part is in the "technical" info at the end:
Weight: SS10: Heavy. SS12: Heavier.
 :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2010, 09:38 pm »
:thumb: great interview...  thanks for the link,  I love the attitude both Jim and Dennis exude in stuff like this, and in my personal dealings with them both.  This article makes me want a pair of SoundScapes even more.

I think my favorite part is in the "technical" info at the end:
Weight: SS10: Heavy. SS12: Heavier.
 :thumb:

Actiually, that was as specific as we could get.  Jim has never weighed those puppies. 

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm »
First, thanks and congrats to John R. on a great new site.  And thanks for the opportunity to be included in the first edition. Job very well done, John!

We were in the middle of a very busy week when I answered the questions and I probably didn't spend as much time writing the comments as I should have.  Reading it today, I realized that I really didn't place enough emphasis on the quality and extension of the bass section of these speakers.  That was one of the goals at the onset of this project and were it not for the great work of Jeff Bagby, the SoundScapes would not be what they are today.

I'm sorry for missing the opportunity to point that out and want to publicly apologize to Jeff for failing to give him the prominent credit he richly deserves.  Live and learn...

- Jim

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2010, 08:01 am »

I'm sorry for missing the opportunity to point that out and want to publicly apologize to Jeff for failing to give him the prominent credit he richly deserves.  Live and learn...

- Jim

There is a comments section - put that in there.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2010, 01:42 pm »
Jim – I had a friend over one night to hear the SoundScapes. Before I fired the system up, I said, “You know that tomorrow people will ask you for a report.”

“Yeah…so…,” he said.

To which I replied, “Well, the problem is you will be hard pressed to explain it to them. These speakers do not stand out in any way. So it will be difficult to point toward any specific performance attribute that might set them apart. All you will hear is the music…nothing more, nothing less. Once you hear them, you will understand. But it will be difficult to explain the experience to someone who has not.”

I especially enjoyed reading that part.  Because I live nearby Dennis, I occasionally get a chance to hear his latest development.  About a year ago, just before the initial showing of these speakers (with a different midrange that ultimately was replaced) I heard them at Dennis's and experienced the same thing that Jim spoke of above.

"These speakers stand out because they do nothing wrong."  Although those words are the best I can say about the SoundScapes, they make for a rather poor verbal impression.  If you are considering buying speakers in this price range, you owe it to yourself to listen to them.

Congratulations Jim & Dennis on the article!

Jeff B.

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2010, 09:07 pm »
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it, but no apology is necessary. I'm all good. It was a lot of fun to work on the project and I am glad I could help. I hope you, Dennis, and I can team up on some more stuff down the road.

Jeff

First, thanks and congrats to John R. on a great new site.  And thanks for the opportunity to be included in the first edition. Job very well done, John!

We were in the middle of a very busy week when I answered the questions and I probably didn't spend as much time writing the comments as I should have.  Reading it today, I realized that I really didn't place enough emphasis on the quality and extension of the bass section of these speakers.  That was one of the goals at the onset of this project and were it not for the great work of Jeff Bagby, the SoundScapes would not be what they are today.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm »
Jeff,

Jim asked me what about the SoundScape’s surprised me.   I told him only one thing.  That was the bass.   The bass was cleaner than I had ever heard from a speaker and had great solidity.  The SoundScape’s wouldn’t be what they are without your bass design.  Well done and thanks.   

Bob

PS  I had stellar expectations for the midrange and treble so I wasn’t surprised.  I was expecting Karma like midrange with improvements due to the open baffle.   Karma had the best midrange that I have ever heard.  I was also expecting incredible imaging too.   I knew Jim and Dennis wouldn’t disappoint.  Of course they didn't!  :eyebrows:

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:04 am »

- Jim

Thank you, Jim, very sincerely, for taking the time - I know you were very busy with AKFest on top of other things.

GhostintheToast

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »
Great read.  I hear over and over that my 2-TLs are by far the best speakers anyone who's heard them has ever heard.

Hopefully in 20 years when my wife lets me purchase another speaker set and I have a fine amplifier and a flying car, Jim will have something EVEN BETTER. 

:eyebrows:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm »
Hopefully in 20 years when my wife lets me purchase another speaker set and I have a fine amplifier and a flying car, Jim will have something EVEN BETTER. 

:eyebrows:

Don't forget jet-packs. . .we were promised jet-packs!!!   :D

OgOgilby

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:41 pm »
Thanks for posting the link to the review Bob.

Congrats Jim and Dennis on the great interview.

Like GhostintheToast, everyone that has heard our HT2 TL's have commented that they are the best speakers they have ever heard. It is hard to imagine something better is available, so it might be better on my wallet that I don't hear the SoundScapes!

floresjc

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm »
Og -

The SoundScapes do sound better (at least the ones I heard). Unfortunately for me, something like the SoundScape is not in my budget, perhaps for many decades. Fortunately for me, the HT2-TL's are an extremely good speaker, and I didn't have to spend the extra 8k chasing that last 3% or whatever. :)

OgOgilby

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:36 pm »
Og -

The SoundScapes do sound better (at least the ones I heard). Unfortunately for me, something like the SoundScape is not in my budget, perhaps for many decades. Fortunately for me, the HT2-TL's are an extremely good speaker, and I didn't have to spend the extra 8k chasing that last 3% or whatever. :)

Unfortunately the SoundScapes are not in our budget either, unless we win the lottery. Of course winning the lottery isn't likely since we don't buy tickets.

Toynbee

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:43 pm »
You have the same chance that someone who buys a ticket does!