Amp/Speaker Question

WntrMute2

Amp/Speaker Question
« on: 14 Oct 2009, 12:55 pm »
I'm about ready to order a set of HT-2Tls for a 2 channel only set-up.  I currently have an all tube system with 150 watt monoblocks from Transcendent.    Will these amps work well with my choice of speakers?  I'm reading a lot about needing high powered SS amps.  I really don't want to go there.  I get plenty of volume from my Snell EIIIs but I don't know their sensitivity.  Electric blues, rock and some jazz are my listening choices.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Amp/Speaker Question
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:23 pm »
I power my HT2-TL with a 30 watt per channel tube amp in a heavily-treated small room.  The amp drives the speakers to very loud levels.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:25 pm »
The HT2 TL's are reasonably sensitive, since the two woofs are run in parallel.  But that also means a 4 ohm load over a lot of the frequency spectrum.  So it comes down to whether your tube amp is comfortable working into 4 ohms. 

tgp06

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:36 pm »
150 watts per channel is more than sufficient provided that the amps can safely drive 4 ohm loads. The only reason I mention this is I believe the Transcendents are an OTL design. I can drive Songtowers(1 db more efficient) with one AVA Ultimate 70(35-40 tube wpc) to unreasonable levels. If I bridge my U70s(2 to 3 times the wpc), I can run my HT3s(8 ohm speakers) as loud as I can stand, but still a safe load using the amplifiers' 4 ohm taps. If I use the amplifiers bridged with the 4 ohm Songtowers, I use Speltz Zeroformers to increase the load.   
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2009, 11:36 pm by tgp06 »

tgp06

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:26 pm »
As a quick add on, I'm sure you will love the HT2 TLs. The transmission line extends the bass close to HT3 levels but should make it easier to place within a room. The Songtowers(TL bass) are the most forgiving speakers in that regard that I have ever owned and I feel much of that is due to the delivery of the TL bass- good extension w/o overloading a room/booming.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:38 pm »
Dennis, the Ultravalve works just fine into 4 ohm loads.

Frank

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:12 am »
Dennis, the Ultravalve works just fine into 4 ohm loads.

Frank

Indeed.   I was referring to his current rig. 

WntrMute2

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:52 am »
Well the literature included with the amps claims that these amps were designed to supply 150 watts into 4 ohm speakers so in that respect I should be good.

tgp06

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:53 am »
Looks like they're fine with a 4 ohm load and you certainly have more watts than you need.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:06 am »
Sounds like you'll be good to go.  Now go order some Salk's already!  :D

What veneers are you considering?

WntrMute2

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:24 pm »
I'm considering the redgum but I don't want the black baffle so Jim has priced them with either a solid baffle or a hardwood insert around the edtes so they can be rounded properly.  I like the color of the HT-3s such as these in redgum rather than the redgum on the HT-2s that I saw.  It may just be the camera emphasizing the differences.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs111.snc1/4661_89562896669_86706101669_1846659_40708_s.jpg

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:31 pm »
The HT2 TL's are reasonably sensitive, since the two woofs are run in parallel.  But that also means a 4 ohm load over a lot of the frequency spectrum.  So it comes down to whether your tube amp is comfortable working into 4 ohms.

You have to use the 4 ohm tap (the one on the left) for 4 ohm speakers.

Wayner  :D

WntrMute2

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:50 pm »

Sorry for the repost but it took a while for me to figure things out. I'm partial to the wood on the HT-3s but without the different baffle

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:49 pm »
Great taste, WntrMute2.  They will look amazing!

jwes

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:39 am »
Has anyone tried Salk with Spectron amps?  I've got mono's of Musician III Mk2.  Speakers will now be the final piece of the puzzle.  Need to be able to go low, so HT3 or maybe the yet to be made Soundscape 10.  Anyway, would be great to hear experience.  I know a number of people have great experience with Spectron and SP Tech...  Also wonder about Daedalus - but this is the Salk thread!!!

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:29 pm »
I'm considering the redgum but I don't want the black baffle so Jim has priced them with either a solid baffle or a hardwood insert around the edtes so they can be rounded properly.  I like the color of the HT-3s such as these in redgum rather than the redgum on the HT-2s that I saw.  It may just be the camera emphasizing the differences.

It is not the camera.  The HT2 customer asked that we spray dye on them to match a photo he ran across.  So we did.  Natural redgum looks like the HT3's.

- Jim

WntrMute2

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:52 pm »
It is not the camera.  The HT2 customer asked that we spray dye on them to match a photo he ran across.  So we did.  Natural redgum looks like the HT3's.

Thanks for the information Jim.  You'll be hearing from me shortly to place an order.

Dave

evan1

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:54 pm »
Has anyone tried Salk with Spectron amps?  I've got mono's of Musician III Mk2.  Speakers will now be the final piece of the puzzle.  Need to be able to go low, so HT3 or maybe the yet to be made Soundscape 10.  Anyway, would be great to hear experience.  I know a number of people have great experience with Spectron and SP Tech...  Also wonder about Daedalus - but this is the Salk thread!!!

Send JBTRIO a PM

jwes

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2009, 07:45 pm »
Thanks Evan,

I'm on it...  These speakers just look unreal (I'm a wood freak) and to have true audiophile quality as well and go deep...  I have Dali Euphonia Ms4 in the alpi finish, but these look even better and I love what I hear about the music from them!!!

evan1

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:50 pm »
Thanks Evan,

I'm on it...  These speakers just look unreal (I'm a wood freak) and to have true audiophile quality as well and go deep...  I have Dali Euphonia Ms4 in the alpi finish, but these look even better and I love what I hear about the music from them!!!

me too , even through the walls between our townhouses