A new found respect for a craftsman.

bigjppop

A new found respect for a craftsman.
« on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:26 am »
So I've recently jumped head first into the world of DIY audio and I'll tell you what, I love it.  It's been one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in my HiFi hobby.

Now, that being said, when it comes to trying to make a piece that has the beauty of what Jim's stuff does... lets just say I have a very real and new found respect for a true craftsman.  Even making a simple box with mitered corners is a lot tougher than it looks.  I've watched Bob Villa and Norm Abrahms and thought "Psh, I can do that!  How hard can it be?"  Well it turns out, pretty dang hard!  Just getting a corner with 2-3 separate pieces of wood to line up and have everything straight with no overhangs, gaps, etc can be truly maddening.  It gets even worse when you're working with large pieces of wood that are required for speaker cabinets.

So anyway, congrats to Jim Salk on building truly beautiful products.  If you've never tried it yourself, you really have no idea what it takes to build something of this quality.

Big Red Machine

Re: A new found respect for a craftsman.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:05 am »
It is harder than it looks.  I use lots of wood filler.  Big clamps work too!!  And a sharp blade....and an accurate guide.....and repeatable dimensions....and good stock....and a good eye....and glue.....and a veneer press.....and........lots of work