1801-based 5.1 channel recording studio set-up

jsalk

1801-based 5.1 channel recording studio set-up
« on: 1 Oct 2006, 07:28 pm »
Charles wanted a 5.1 channel surround sound monitor system for his recording studio.  When we discussed his budget, I suggested Ellis 1801's all around with a good 12" TC Sounds subwoofer (ported for additional extension).

He wanted curly walnut and here is the entire package...

Here's a pair of the 1801's...

And a close-up...

And the sub...

This set-up should work very well in a recording studio set-up.  The detail and accuracy of the Seas Excel W18 will let you hear exactly what you are mixing or mastering. And the speed of the TC Sounds-based subwoofer will integrate very well.

Happy listening Charles!

- Jim

TomW16

Re: 1801-based 5.1 channel recording studio set-up
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2006, 03:09 am »
Beautiful work as usual Jim.  :thumb:

I have one technical question regarding the tweeter offset that is specified for the 1801s.  It appears from the photographs that the center channel has the tweeter centered on the baffle.  I am building a modified pair of 1801s as well and I wondered whether you heard any difference in the center channel speaker with the tweeter centered as opposed to offset?  (Please note that this is a dangerous question for me as I have already routed the tweeter hole centered horizontally on the baffle immediately above the woofer)  :lol:

Thanks.

Tom

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:00 pm »
Beautiful work as usual Jim.  :thumb:

I have one technical question regarding the tweeter offset that is specified for the 1801s.  It appears from the photographs that the center channel has the tweeter centered on the baffle.  I am building a modified pair of 1801s as well and I wondered whether you heard any difference in the center channel speaker with the tweeter centered as opposed to offset?  (Please note that this is a dangerous question for me as I have already routed the tweeter hole centered horizontally on the baffle immediately above the woofer)  :lol:

Thanks.

Tom

Tom -

Don't worry about it.  No, I did not hear a difference.

The original Ellis design used offset tweeters to deal with edge diffraction issues.  While the difference is most likely measurable, it is certainly not audible.  I centered the tweeter in the center channel because it didn't make sense to have this one offset.  The others are offset as per Dave's original design.

- Jim

rez

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:36 pm »
Yes, really outstanding and beautiful work!  That doesn't appear to be veneer on the sides...?  Seems more 3 dimensional and richer than a veneer.
rez
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2006, 02:49 pm by rez »

fajimr

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:41 pm »
absolutely gorgeous Jim.... the only thing I could imagine better than my 1801s  :D

TomW16

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2006, 07:08 pm »
Tom -

Don't worry about it.  No, I did not hear a difference.

The original Ellis design used offset tweeters to deal with edge diffraction issues.  While the difference is most likely measurable, it is certainly not audible.  I centered the tweeter in the center channel because it didn't make sense to have this one offset.  The others are offset as per Dave's original design.

- Jim

That's exactly the answer I was hoping for Jim. :D  My thought was that the diffraction would likely be more affected by the edge roundover than the baffle placement and that seems to be what you have determined through listening.

Thanks for the insight and confirmation!

Tom

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2006, 09:52 pm »
Rez -

Yes, really outstanding and beautiful work!  That doesn't appear to be veneer on the sides...?  Seems more 3 dimensional and richer than a veneer.
rez

It is veneer - some very nice curly walnut.

- Jim

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2006, 02:38 pm »
The original Ellis design used offset tweeters to deal with edge diffraction issues.  While the difference is most likely measurable, it is certainly not audible.

FWIW - I fully agree.

Dave