1801-TLs compared to HT2-TLs?

billmcc

1801-TLs compared to HT2-TLs?
« on: 14 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm »
I'm considering a used pair of HT2-TLs to replace my 1801-TLs. It would be a change from the dome tweeter to the ribbon and an additional bass driver. For those that have possibly heard both speakers what improvements would I find with the HT2-TLs over the 1801-TLs? My listening room is fairly small at 13' deep by 17' wide (open on one end). My music listening is a mix of jazz and rock in two channel as well as multichannel. Of course if I get the HT2-TLs then I'll need an HTC-2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this :)!

Bill

gregcss

Re: 1801-TLs compared to HT2-TLs?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2016, 11:34 pm »
Do the 1801-TL's have the same tweeter as the standard songtowers?

billmcc

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2016, 12:09 am »
Do the 1801-TL's have the same tweeter as the standard songtowers?

Looking at the Salk website the 1801-TL has the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter and the SongTowers have the Hiquphon OW2 tweeter. I'm not sure of the differences between the two tweeters.

Bill

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2016, 03:37 am »
The OWII has a coated dome as compared with the uncoated OWI, and has a flatter frequency response around 10kHz. The OWII also has slightly higher sensitivity. It seems to me that most important is to match the tweeter to the mid/woofer selected.

Looking at the Salk website the 1801-TL has the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter and the SongTowers have the Hiquphon OW2 tweeter. I'm not sure of the differences between the two tweeters.

Bill

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2016, 01:39 pm »

Bill

Oops - I see you already mentioned a change from dome to ribbon. In any case I switched from standard song tower to supercharged. Not exactly the same scenario here, but should be close. The benefit to me was a little better in the high frequency detail, bass was more noticeable. I did not do side-by-side comparison. For you, you'll get the benefit of the ribbon tweeter (however some do prefer the dome), and two larger mid woofers. I suspect bass will be more forceful in your room - perhaps less strain on them too.

billmcc

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2016, 08:58 pm »
Thank you both for your thoughts :)! I decided to pass on the HT2-TLs as I'm just very happy with the 1801-TLs and 1801B center. My concern is buying the HT2-TLs and then not hearing a significant SQ improvement. Then I'm in a tough spot of either having to resell them (no boxes) or spending more for a matching HT2C center.

Bill

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2016, 05:31 pm »
Thank you both for your thoughts :) ! I decided to pass on the HT2-TLs as I'm just very happy with the 1801-TLs and 1801B center. My concern is buying the HT2-TLs and then not hearing a significant SQ improvement. Then I'm in a tough spot of either having to resell them (no boxes) or spending more for a matching HT2C center.

Bill

Well, for movies, I doubt that you would need to upgrade the center plus someone's just put up their HT2-TL's in the AC classifieds!

billmcc

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:39 pm »

Well, for movies, I doubt that you would need to upgrade the center plus someone's just put up their HT2-TL's in the AC classifieds!

I would have to disagree with you on that. The 1801B has a dome tweeter and the HT2-TLs have the ribbon tweeter. So in my opinion for movies and multichannel music having a center with a matching tweeter is very important. The HT2-TLs I was looking at are the ones for sale in the classifieds. Chris was great to deal with but I decided to stay with the 1801TLs for now.

Bill

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:09 pm »

I would have to disagree with you on that. The 1801B has a dome tweeter and the HT2-TLs have the ribbon tweeter. So in my opinion for movies and multichannel music having a center with a matching tweeter is very important. The HT2-TLs I was looking at are the ones for sale in the classifieds. Chris was great to deal with but I decided to stay with the 1801TLs for now.

Bill

I used an NHT 3 way center (dome tweeter) with my HT2-TLs.  IMO they blended very well for movies. :)

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2016, 02:43 am »
I used an NHT 3 way center (dome tweeter) with my HT2-TLs.  IMO they blended very well for movies. :)

Before I got the 1801B center from Jim I was using a Song Center with the 1801TLs. It worked fine but once the 1801B arrived it was a much better blend with the 1801TLs. I listen to quite a bit of multichannel music which is best with a matching center IMO. With that one gets an almost seamless blend of the LCR speakers.

Bill
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2016, 04:01 am by billmcc »