Caddy corner

guf

Caddy corner
« on: 14 May 2018, 04:06 am »
So I was following a suggestion from the Vinnie Rossi circle, one I had heard many times before, so I decided to try it. Instantly I was blown away, not sure why but I was. Surprised the imaging appears to be better even though there is now gear between my speakers. Speakers were both in the nook on both sides of the sub.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Caddy corner
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 09:58 am »
Goodbye sidewall reflections! Hello open rear (behind listening position)!

That’s how Vinnie sets it up in hotel rooms at shows.

Best,
Anand.

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 12:10 pm »
Gulf,

I’ve been following the evolution of your speaker placement for some time and have taken some inspiration from it.  You convinced me to go near-field.  I can confirm that your choice of using the diagonal is a great one I picked up from a couple of guys in the acoustics circle.  I see a number of advantages in a small room:

1.  It takes almost all early reflections out of the equation.  This allows me to save money on room treatments and keep the room livelier.
2.  If I use monitors (I do) I can easily move them into this diagonal position for critical listening and to a more out of the way position for normal room use.
3.  The diagonal increases the total available listening distance.  Every foot counts when you’re trying to position speakers and the listening in the front 38% of the room.
4.  The increased visual depth into the corner behind the speakers really helps increase the illusion of depth, something I really value.  This effect persists to a degree even when an equipment rack is in this position.

Overall I am a big fan of this layout.  It is even possible to have both speakers and equipment almost flush against the walls and the listening chair the only object in the room’s free space.  Being able to easily turn a reading room into a listening room is a great advantage to those of us struggling with space.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 12:38 pm »
I went with the diagonal setup a few years ago after reading a white paper on the Decware site. My gear was in a perfect square room and really needed help. What a revelation. I'm glad to see this promoted here.

My room isn't always this neat.

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 12:46 pm »
Nice.  I’m confident that something like this can easily be integrated into a domestic environment without overpowering the room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 01:18 pm »
And it doesn't have to be a perfectly symmetrical layout either.

Regardless, near-field listening solves a number of room induced problems.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 01:37 pm »
My room posted above is 12x12x8 (spare bedroom). I sit between 6-8 feet from speakers depending on mood and music being played; not necessarily near field.

If your system lacks image depth, this could be the cure. It sure was for me.

guf

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 03:33 pm »
After hours and hours of listening and not being able to step away I realized that the feeling I was getting was like I was on stage instead of front row. I do listen to a lot of live music so that may have contributed to that sensation. It was really incredible. And yes the depth was amazing even though my corner in not a conventional corner. There is a fire place behind the equipment rack. My sealed sub and all these room treatments don't seem like they are in the proper position but they are still really effective.  I had such a fun night of listening.

Really is fascinating how much of an impact NON electronic upgrades make.

Lefatshe

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:51 pm »
My upstairs system is in an 11' x 11' room without treatment. I'm about 68" from the front of the speakers which are about 84" apart. The down firing port on the WLM significantly reduced the bass boom since the room is a wooden box over a crawls space.