Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

FireGuy

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #420 on: 13 Sep 2015, 01:45 am »
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun 2014.

JoshK

« Reply #421 on: 15 Sep 2015, 02:19 pm »
I've been meaning to check out Insomnium, heard a lot of good things. 

milford3, what is the name of the band, Finsterforst?  It's hard to decipher in that icon.

JoshK

« Reply #422 on: 15 Sep 2015, 02:29 pm »
So I just checked out Finsterforst on youtube (I'm been using it a lot lately to check out what bands I have interest in) and they are fantastic.   I don't even really mind the german lyrics. 

FireGuy

« Reply #423 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:26 am »
So I just checked out Finsterforst on youtube (I'm been using it a lot lately to check out what bands I have interest in) and they are fantastic.   I don't even really mind the german lyrics.

JoshK - I found Finsterforst about a year ago.  An addictive genre of Folk Metal but I think they are much more than that.  Acoustic to vocal to massive riff transitions are incredible (on their zum Tode hin album).

Check out (if not already) "Swallow the Sun".  A top melodeath band. 

Finally, give Insomnium some spin time.  Similar to Opeth it took me a bit to get the groove.

JoshK

« Reply #424 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:42 pm »
Yeah I gave Insomnium a listen and I like it, so it went into my shopping cart.  I've been collecting a lot of metal lately.   That Persefone - Spiritual Migration album though is probably my favorite find in a while.   The harsh vocals are not my absolute favorite, but the music is. 

Will have to check out Swallow the Sun today.    I typically listen to metal while programming at work, and since I am doing a big research project at work, I've been doing a lot of programming, hence a lot of listening to metal acts I haven't checked out yet via YT. 

I haven't ventured much into the folk metal subgenre, so I don't even know where to begin.   So far I have firmly established that I like melodeath and prog metal and any combo therein.   I am very anti-black metal, as much as for what it stands for as the music doesn't appeal to me.   However, some stuff like Agalloch/Panopticon which borrows some of the sound is ok.

FireGuy

« Reply #425 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:50 pm »
Yeah I gave Insomnium a listen and I like it, so it went into my shopping cart.  I've been collecting a lot of metal lately.   That Persefone - Spiritual Migration album though is probably my favorite find in a while.   The harsh vocals are not my absolute favorite, but the music is. 

Will have to check out Swallow the Sun today.    I typically listen to metal while programming at work, and since I am doing a big research project at work, I've been doing a lot of programming, hence a lot of listening to metal acts I haven't checked out yet via YT. 

I haven't ventured much into the folk metal subgenre, so I don't even know where to begin.   So far I have firmly established that I like melodeath and prog metal and any combo therein.   I am very anti-black metal, as much as for what it stands for as the music doesn't appeal to me.   However, some stuff like Agalloch/Panopticon which borrows some of the sound is ok.

While you're at it:  Draconian, Epica, Within Temptation, Nightwish and Delain.    These bands are the ones that started me on the road to Doom, Prog and melodeath.

JoshK

« Reply #426 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:57 pm »
I am listening to Swallow the Sun's first and am liking it.   In general, doom is just so-so for me, maybe just a bit too slow.  I like Katatonia, but even then get bored with anymore than one album at a time.  I listened to Draconian yesterday and thought it was pretty good. 

I've heard of Nightwish and Within Temptation but only sampled them.  Will have to give a more serious listen.

The thing about death metal with working is the vocals aren't distracting while you are concentrating, cause I can't understand what they are saying anyway, so its just like another instrument.  lol

FireGuy

« Reply #427 on: 16 Sep 2015, 02:34 pm »
The guttural,  harsh vocals in these genres was somewhat distracting form me...  initially.  However the quality of the bands with their execution of the songs is impossible to ignore.  One reason I believe is that members tend to be older and this reflects on the overall production because it's what they have passion for.

JoshK

« Reply #428 on: 16 Sep 2015, 02:48 pm »
Took me a very long while to warm up to the growly vocals.  It made me avoid the genre for ages, but eventually there was a point when it no longer mattered and in some rare cases I almost wish for growls (when balanced well with clean vocals).   It was In Flames, Opeth and Lamb of God that relaxed my aversion to growls. 

milford3

« Reply #429 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:17 pm »
No grunting from this new found metal band from Canada called Kobra And The Lotus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEeJImSaaFo

asliarun

« Reply #430 on: 16 Sep 2015, 09:06 pm »
I used to listen to metal a while ago, mainly Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Testament, NIN, Prodigy, then later Tool, Opeth, and mostly grunge. Then stopped listening for a long time, not sure what happened - maybe I was listening to different stuff. Or got too used to the softer stuff.

More recently, I discovered Gojira. For some reason, something about this band and its music style roped me back into metal.
Some of their songs that really stood out (for me)

L'Enfant Sauvage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHlZwMYO9g
Flying Whales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIkDOtAuoo
Born In Winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG-c_i2fBQ

Are there any other bands making somewhat similar music? Their songs have plenty of thrash but also melody.

FireGuy

« Reply #431 on: 16 Sep 2015, 11:52 pm »
I used to listen to metal a while ago, mainly Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Testament, NIN, Prodigy, then later Tool, Opeth, and mostly grunge. Then stopped listening for a long time, not sure what happened - maybe I was listening to different stuff. Or got too used to the softer stuff.

More recently, I discovered Gojira. For some reason, something about this band and its music style roped me back into metal.
Some of their songs that really stood out (for me)

L'Enfant Sauvage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHlZwMYO9g
Flying Whales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIkDOtAuoo
Born In Winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG-c_i2fBQ

Are there any other bands making somewhat similar music? Their songs have plenty of thrash but also melody.

Nice find Asliarun.  Liking Gojira so far... especially Born In Winter.  Melothrash?

Tuomas Saukkonen's Before The Dawn reeks of those components of melodeath I so enjoy.  Especially "The Ghost" album.  So well done in many regards.  The Finns know how to produce metal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhO1zJ9ecc

JoshK

« Reply #432 on: 17 Sep 2015, 07:06 pm »
I don't know of any other bands quite like Gojira. Maybe some of the later albums by Death (very good)? 

By the way, their concert video is quite good, I own it.

FireGuy

« Reply #433 on: 20 Sep 2015, 11:12 pm »
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

JoshK

« Reply #434 on: 21 Sep 2015, 02:54 pm »
That is a good one!  Thanks for the tip.   I like avant-garde metal like this.  I am still a big Faith No More fan, which is arguably one of the first in the genre.

FireGuy

« Reply #435 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:29 am »
More of Tuomas Saukkonen's great work.  Wolfheart - Winterborn.

milford3

« Reply #436 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:45 am »
More of Tuomas Saukkonen's great work.  Wolfheart - Winterborn.

Another good one from this band.  Sad Alice Said.  The band has got better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp5TxOQXQ8g

JoshK

« Reply #437 on: 25 Sep 2015, 03:05 pm »
Sad Alice Said is really quite interesting, but really hard to find here in Canada.

I recently came across Leprous and their last album is awesome!

FireGuy

« Reply #438 on: 25 Sep 2015, 03:42 pm »
Sad Alice Said is really quite interesting, but really hard to find here in Canada.

I recently came across Leprous and their last album is awesome!

I'll check out Leprous tonight.  Entire house to myself after work.

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #439 on: 25 Sep 2015, 04:03 pm »
Holy Crap a metal thread!!  I think I'll join this conversation.

I've been streaming Deafheaven's new release "New Bermuda".  Highly recommended!

Loving the Insomnium recommendation, I've seen them twice in Joliet, IL.  Once with Dark Tranquility and another time with Omnium Gatherum.  OG has a great album called Beyond which I was totally addicted to.  You may like them if you like Insomnium (the lead guitarist is in both bands).

Also, for those who like Persefone's Spiritual Migration, I thought that their prior effort Shin-Ken was way better.

Rob