Stacking components?

SgtPepper

Stacking components?
« on: 12 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm »
Hi - my first post here.  Thanks to Frank's Fall sale I am about to take delivery of a FET Valve 400R Amp, FET Valve CF Preamp, and FET Valve Hybrid DAC.  As I am somewhat limited currently in space (the new gear results in a net gain of one component), I was wondering if any of these components can be safely stacked on top of another  component...I am guessing I wouldn't want to stack anything on top of the amp but wasn't sure about the DAC or Preamp.  The other component in the mix is an OPPO 105, which is a fanless design with ventilation slots on the top.  The OPPO runs relatively cool with nothing currently stacked on top of it. I do have a Plan B if they are not (stackable) but just thought I'd check here first...

Thanks.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: Stacking components?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2016, 11:20 pm »
Looks like you just spent a bunch of money for some great audio gear. IMO go with Plan B.
Then go here http://herbiesaudiolab.net/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 12:25 am »
Shame to stack, but yes it should be OK if you keep the power amp on top (how much does it weigh?).

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2016, 12:57 am »
Shame to stack, but yes it should be OK if you keep the power amp on top (how much does it weigh?).

Both the DAC and pre both have tubes (hence the English name Valve), I wouldn't recommend it.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2016, 01:28 am »

Both the DAC and pre both have tubes (hence the English name Valve), I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd tend to agree with charmerci. While neither gets particularly Hot, they do get warm and could use some ventilation above. The CF will run warmer than the DAC in all likelihood. I have the CF in my main system, an older Ultra Hybrid DAC in my office system, both in/on different style of shelf racks. How much room do you have to work with ? Is it open, or enclosed ? Something as simple as cutting a 2x2 to length (2) and placing it between the DAC & CF (on top) would probably provide reasonable space for circulation particularly if it's an open space. Where there's a will, ..... and then there's always Plan B.  :wink:  Drop Frank an email, he'll let you know what he feels is best if he doesn't chime in here.

SgtPepper

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2016, 04:52 pm »
It appears the prevailing wisdom is not to stack and after hooking up the preamp last night (the first package to arrive) I can attest that it is definitely NOT a good idea, as the preamp gets quite warm (borderline hot) to the touch.  So Plan B it is.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  :thumb:

ramsey86

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2016, 06:59 pm »
Have stacked my ava fet valve ultra pre on top of a vpi sds on top of an ava ultra 350 amp for years without problems,