The Grado Gold1 Longhorn now can have a new option.....

Wayner

After a customer's request, we supplied a Grado Gold1 Longhorn with the 8MZ stylus (specially treated). Tracking at 1.6 grams, I found the combination very revealing, tracking like a fine line stylus with the ability to produce incredible bass with power, but not overpowering, a fabulous mid-range and a delicate high end that made the entire combination very fun to listen to.

Ask Frank about the details and cost if you are interested. Phone: 651-330-9822

Wayner

Folsom

Re: The Grado Gold1 Longhorn now can have a new option.....
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2016, 05:33 am »
Interesting... I'm having a visions of one of these for my new cartridge next year.

plaf26

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2017, 11:23 pm »
Hey, Wayne,

Do you think it beats the DL103R? :scratch:

plaf26

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2017, 05:00 pm »
Okay, I'll try to answer my own question, since I took the plunge and got the 8MZ for my own Grado Gold.  I'd been using a Denon DL103R for some time on an AVA FetValve CF with the switchable phono preamp.  I enjoyed it very much.  Better bass and not as bright as the AT440mla I had before (sorry Wayner).  Before getting the 8MZ, I went back to the stock Grado Gold.  Better bass than the Denon, but treble was a little less able to distinguish between lots of instruments in a symphony.  The 8MZ keeps the bass, but tightens it up and opens up the treble too.  I'd agree with Wayner on this.  Thanks, Frank, you did it again :thumb:

plaf26

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2017, 05:05 am »
Further observation: for many years, old Columbia mono LPs from the '50's (Percy Faith, Andre Kostelanetz, Morton Gould, etc.) played on my systems with an odd coloration I didn't notice on other labels.  I've always wondered if this was a holdover from the old "LP" equalization that Columbia used before switching to RIAA, or if it was from one of those old box-of-springs reverb units added to the recording session that they thought no one would notice on old portable and console phonographs with turn-over crystal pick-ups like we used back in the day.  To my pleasant surprise  :o much of that coloration is gone with the Longhorn Grado Gold 8MZ, and those old Columbias sound more like the way I remember them.  Don't know why that is, but I'm grateful.  :thumb:

Funnehaha

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2017, 04:11 pm »
Wayner,

I bought a Pioneer PLX-1000 about a year and a half ago. As you know, it's Pioneer's version of the Technics SL-1200. I'm enjoying it with an AT MM that one other guy doesn't prefer in this thread. However, my question is about the Grado Gold1 in this table. In your experience and/or opinion, do you think I might have trouble with hum?

Funnehaha

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2017, 04:34 pm »
Yes, because I had one too. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm.....

Funnehaha

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:36 pm »
Oh yeah, I remember something about that now. Oh well. >Heavy sigh< Thanks. I appreciate it.