BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #140 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm »
Gnome Music Player on PC Windows 7 - nice thing about Gnome is it does not need a browser and connects directly to the Linux operating system :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #141 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:13 pm »
Album view in Gnome :thumb:

james

ellsworth

« Reply #142 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:31 pm »
Hey James, what's that Steve Stevens album Just Like Love you're showing in the Gnome window? Is this Steve Stevens the guitarist who has done the albums Memory Crash and Flamenco A Go Go? Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #143 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:40 pm »
Hey James, what's that Steve Stevens album Just Like Love you're showing in the Gnome window? Is this Steve Stevens the guitarist who has done the albums Memory Crash and Flamenco A Go Go? Thanks

I will check when I get home.

james

werd

« Reply #144 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:02 pm »
Hi werd,

At the moment I'm running Atlas 75ohm Opus Coaxial between the BDP and BDA and Navigator RCA's throughout the rest of the system.

Just about to order Atlas Mavros XLR's and speaker cable though, unfortunately I can't quite stretch to the pure silver Asimi range at £2500 per meter XLR  :o

Hi Vipers

If you are going to spend that much on cables why don't you do what i did first ? I sold my bcd and my 4B to make funds and bought a 14B. The 14B upgrade gave me bigger bang for the buck then any cable did (and i like cables). Looking at what you want to spend on cables this is a better route for you imo. To be comparative the 14B's performance increase over the 4B is rather significant. They sound exactly the same in tone but the 14B is just way more precise and relaxed only since its a such a power brute. 

something to chew on.....

Bugsy

« Reply #145 on: 18 Feb 2011, 09:21 pm »
You mean, don't put .local at the end of the address?

Terry

Hi Terry

In Minion setting under Description I have "BRYSTON-BDP-1", under Host "BRYSTON-BDP-1", Port "xxxx", Password "Bryston" 

In Gnome under Name "Bryston Digital Player", Host "bryston-bdp-1", Port "xxxx", Password is "Bryston"

No need for me to use a static ip. I am using Windows 7 and make sure if you have a virus/internet security programm running what it is named under there.

Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #146 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:10 pm »

It is Steve Strauss.

james

ellsworth

« Reply #147 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm »
Thanks James. My eyes ain't what they used to be.   :o
ells

Vipers

« Reply #148 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:55 pm »
Hi Vipers

If you are going to spend that much on cables why don't you do what i did first ? I sold my bcd and my 4B to make funds and bought a 14B. The 14B upgrade gave me bigger bang for the buck then any cable did (and i like cables). Looking at what you want to spend on cables this is a better route for you imo. To be comparative the 14B's performance increase over the 4B is rather significant. They sound exactly the same in tone but the 14B is just way more precise and relaxed only since its a such a power brute. 

something to chew on.....

Hi Werd
Thanks for the advice but I travelled a similar path afew months ago and sold my 4B SST2 and went for 2 x 7B SST2 so for me all that is left now is cables to fine tune my system or a couple of 28B's I guess  :)

werd

« Reply #149 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:56 pm »
Hi Werd
Thanks for the advice but I travelled a similar path afew months ago and sold my 4B SST2 and went for 2 x 7B SST2 so for me all that is left now is cables to fine tune my system or a couple of 28B's I guess  :)

And update your photo's  and systems.....hehe  :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #150 on: 18 Feb 2011, 11:18 pm »
And update your photo's  and systems.....hehe  :thumb:

Consider it done  :)

terrycym

« Reply #151 on: 19 Feb 2011, 10:07 am »
Hi Terry

In Minion setting under Description I have "BRYSTON-BDP-1", under Host "BRYSTON-BDP-1", Port "xxxx", Password "Bryston" 

In Gnome under Name "Bryston Digital Player", Host "bryston-bdp-1", Port "xxxx", Password is "Bryston"

No need for me to use a static ip. I am using Windows 7 and make sure if you have a virus/internet security programm running what it is named under there.

Larry

Thanks Larry

terrycym

« Reply #152 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:45 pm »
Here's another MPD client, this time for PalmOS
I have an old Palm T/X and Blazer, the built in browser, doesn't work with Mini, but this MPD client works just fine...
Palm MPC
http://palm-mpc.sourceforge.net/

How about a client for the Sinclair Spectrum (Google it), anyone? 
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2011, 05:46 pm by terrycym »

Alpha10

« Reply #153 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:04 pm »
As I do not have an iPad I was looking at a small (7") tablet PC with wifi, so I could use Mini, but most I have looked at run Android 1.6 and the user guide for the BDP-1 says Android 1.5 OR Android 2.2, does that mean these tablets will not work?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:02 pm »
As I do not have an iPad I was looking at a small (7") tablet PC with wifi, so I could use Mini, but most I have looked at run Android 1.6 and the user guide for the BDP-1 says Android 1.5 OR Android 2.2, does that mean these tablets will not work?

Cheers

I'll check.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #155 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

If anyone wants to use the BDP-1 with the "Mancave Option" I just picked up a D-Link N300 router this morning ($44.00) and it connected instantly without any setup required.  Just power up the D-Link then connect one of the Ethernet 'OUTLETS' on the back of the router to the Ethernet input on the BDP-1. The iPad saw the wireless connection immediatedly as 'dlink' and I was able to interface with the USB attached drives (after reboot) without issues.

Its a great way to operate the BDP-1 if you do not want to be on the Home Network or if you do not have a Home Network installed.

james

Napalm

« Reply #156 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:19 pm »
New model:

Take a look, some nice ideas and features there.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #157 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:31 pm »
Hi Folks,

If anyone wants to use the BDP-1 with the "Mancave Option" I just picked up a D-Link N300 router this morning ($44.00) and it connected instantly without any setup required.  Just power up the D-Link then connect one of the Ethernet 'OUTLETS' on the back of the router to the Ethernet input on the BDP-1. The iPad saw the wireless connection immediatedly as 'dlink' and I was able to interface with the USB attached drives (after reboot) without issues.

Its a great way to operate the BDP-1 if you do not want to be on the Home Network or if you do not have a Home Network installed.

james

UHG

skunark

« Reply #158 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:48 pm »
I'm sure the Olive is a great product, but it's a bit too CD centric for my tastes.   

klao

« Reply #159 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:35 am »
Hi James & all,

Powered USB HDD came with small adapter and wire for DC in; would they generate some noise that might get into the BDP-1, DAC, or preamp?  If they do, how far away should we put them away from those equipments?  Or maybe, I should not have to worry about this.   :?

Thanks,
Klao   

Hi pimando,

I do not think it would matter as long as the USB 2 drive was not requiring more that .5 amps to run.  I do find the powered drives seem to be mechanically noisier.

james

Last thing, is theoretically a better self-powered external HD or external HD 2.5 "which is powered directly via USB?