Does Amp Warm Up Time Improve Bass?... IEC Plug Upgrades?...

aaron.luebke

Re: Does Amp Warm Up Time Improve Bass?... IEC Plug Upgrades?...
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2016, 04:27 pm »
Yes - check bias!  You won't "fix" this issue with a fan if the bias is burning it up.

You might also want to call Klaus and run this past him.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2016, 06:47 pm »
Leave it on, if not should come up to operating temp in an hour or so. Those amps have Kaboom bass especially when using Gronenberg speaker cables and IC's. The cables Klaus sells.  Furutech IEC grab like a tight XXXX.

charles

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2016, 07:34 pm »
To tighten your iec connection, wrap some plumber's tape tightly around the power cable and it will be nice and snug when you plug it in. Only works a few times before you have to use new tape.

A 250 v box fan run into the 120 volt outlet with some zip cord and cheap plug is dead quiet and moves a lot of air. (But I really hate those Behringers, so I would get rid of that heater :lol:)

88man

« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:22 am »
You've all been awesome! Thanks everyone!

Aaron: I've also left a message with Klaus, I hope he can get back to me this week.

Rollo and Big Red Machine: I'll try the plummer's tape and check out the Furutechs. I was just looking at those a few days ago at Sonic Craft for my 6N1P/KT88 SET amp.

After biasing, I wonder if the amp will sound less bright and etched?... I don't think my AudioQuest CopperHeads help either. So, I've ordered some Shunyata Venoms to try because of their neutrality.

I'm asking because I recently revoiced my 13" 3-way DIY speakers by -1 dB on the tweeter resistor to match the sonics of the unbiased amp. I also changed the overly rich 70% Mundorf Evo Oil + 30% Jantzen Superior Z to 100% Jantzen Superior Z for the large mid cap for improved coherence. Then I added some bypass caps to fine tune the voicing process.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:40 am »
I had a Stratos that was very bright - bought from the 'bay or A'gon.  Talked to Klaus about it and sent it to him - found it was biased waaayyy to high.
He'll have you measure your line voltage and set correctly.  When mine came back they were perfect - still are!

88man

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:07 am »
Sounds awesome, Aaron! Glad you're enjoying the system. There are a several vocal tracks that I'd like to hear without glare again. It's going to be a busy weekend with the multi-meter. Good idea, I'll measure the line voltage, it has been a while...

germay0653

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2016, 02:45 am »
As long as you bias them while they're plugged into the same outlets you normally plug them into when listening you should be fine.  Use -21mv as a starting point.  -18mv will be darker, -24mv will be warmer.

Carl V

« Reply #27 on: 7 Dec 2016, 04:23 am »
As long as you bias them while they're plugged into the same outlets you normally plug them into when listening you should be fine.  Use -21mv as a starting point.  -18mv will be darker, -24mv will be warmer.

Darker & warmer ?
Darker & Brighter?

not following those adjectives.

TJHUB

« Reply #28 on: 7 Dec 2016, 12:11 pm »
Darker & warmer ?
Darker & Brighter?

not following those adjectives.

I didn't follow that either.  I biased my monoblocks with Klaus' help about 5 years ago.  He had me set them to 20.8 saying less would be more detailed with less power, and a higher number would be warmer and output more power. 

germay0653

« Reply #29 on: 7 Dec 2016, 03:50 pm »
How about Darker = more analytical/sterile with very sharp transients and less decay vs Warmer = more forgiving of bad a recording/musical or lush sound.  One would most likely want to end up in the middle where there is a balance that sounds more like what it would if the performer(s) where live.

As far as the voltage measurements that Klaus requests when voicing them, I believe he uses a AC variable output transformer to set the output voltage, that feed the amp, to the average of what you supply him when he performs the biasing. He also adjusts the bias based on his experience of what your speakers sound like.  Klaus, please correct me if I'm wrong here!

88man

« Reply #30 on: 7 Dec 2016, 06:18 pm »
It seems biasing is another form of voicing, as well as to control my initial problem of the amp generating a lot of heat. Ultimately, this voicing procedure will depend on the line voltage, speakers, components, cables, room, and taste. It's good to know that 21.5mV is neutral, and I'll start there. Once I establish the bias, I can also tweak the tweeter resistor on the crossover to tailor the sound. Good thing with DIY speakers, everything is accessible and/or expendable. ;) I'm going to have a busy weekend. You guys have been awesome!

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2016, 01:46 am »
I have my Stratos Extreme in the same rack as the original poster with the perforated side panels, leave my amp on all the time and it never gets hot.  At idling, it is cool to the touch and even after hard use it is only slightly warm.  Sounds like there is a problem with your amp.  I only have an inch of clearance above the amp as well.

88man

« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:55 am »
Biasing solved the overheating issue. Now I can place the side panels back again. :)

agburns

« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2016, 06:03 pm »
Sorry, I posted wrong discussion.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2016, 01:39 pm by agburns »

OSIB16

« Reply #34 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:55 pm »
Sorry for chiming in so late. For the ultimate sound quality I have BYPASSED the IEC Connector Socket on my FRANKENSTRATOS. I have hardwired the Mains Cable directly onto the TORROIDAL TRANSFORMER. This gives the cleanest sound with lower distortion...