Odyssey amp + which speakers for great synergy?

Stablemate

Odyssey amp + which speakers for great synergy?
« on: 4 Apr 2016, 08:12 am »
I'm slowly edging my way into the "lower high end" section of this hobby, and after reading many rave reviews picked up a used Stratos power amp. I'm now in the market for speakers, max budget $2000 a pair, new or used. I know Odyssey have their own line of speakers (will definitely check out Syrens if I get the chance) but was curious what others here have enjoyed? Floor standing recommendations for a smallish listening room (15'x15') would be ideal. I like all genres, but it's important they can thump to dynamic rock and electronica tracks. I love deep bass and clear separation between instruments. Thanks!

pepperinca

Re: Odyssey amp + which speakers for great synergy?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:06 pm »
The Odyssey Loreleis would fit the build and (obviously) great synergy with the Odyssey amp.

Where are you located? I am in SoCal if you want to check out my upgraded (Kismet) pair.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2016, 08:17 pm »
In addition to the Loreleis the Vandersteens' are a great match with Odyssey amps.  I used Odyssey amps with 3A and 2CE Sigs for years.  In fact I still have the 2CE Sigs boxed up in a spare room.

Stablemate

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2016, 09:24 pm »
Where are you located? I am in SoCal if you want to check out my upgraded (Kismet) pair.

I'm in the SFV, not far from you. I'll drop you a PM.

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2016, 11:22 pm »
The most obvious choice would be the Loreleis.  I have heard them at several audio shows and the all Odyssey system is just amazing.  Makes you scratch your head as to why myself or anyone else spends more money than what the Odyssey system delivers. 

That being said, Jim Salk's SongTowers are also spectacular, they are perfect size for what you are looking for and there is a pair for sale here in the trading post within your range.

Stablemate

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm »
Would you say the SongTowers or Vandersteens are better for smaller rooms? I recently heard that you ideally need a fair bit of space for the Loreleis?

apstoltz

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm »
I have a pair of songtowers and will take delivery on the Khartago tomorrow and will pair it with a tube preamp. I love the songtowers and currently have them with an integrated SS amp, but can't wait to see what they do with the odyssey amp and tubes. I will report back once I get some time with the new gear.

reillyzing

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2016, 12:18 am »
Would you say the SongTowers or Vandersteens are better for smaller rooms? I recently heard that you ideally need a fair bit of space for the Loreleis?

Quote from Klaus in March, 2014, comparing the Lorelei and Kismet speakers:
As to which of my 2 speakers are better ???  Well,  the Kismet's of course.  You can't beat the Beryllium,  but they are very similar,  and in smaller rooms,  I'd probably take the Loreleis....(and your walls will cease to exist)....

tenth post on this page: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101558.20

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2016, 12:55 am »
All of the speakers brought up so far will work in your room, however none of them will work up against the walls.  That will apply to any rear vented speaker.  The Lorelei and the Songtower both have their vents on the bottom rear so you need to allow for at least a foot 18" would be better.  If WAF forces other considerations then you need to look sealed or front vented. The Vandersteens are always the least forgiving of poor setup.  You need to be willing to tweak placement and follow Richard's instructions in the manual to get the best out of them. Other options I have tried, worked and meet your size and price requirments are the Golden Ear Triton 5 and the Spatial M3 Turbo.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2016, 01:11 am »
The Songtower's can be made with a front port. Go for the RAAL tweeter if budget allows.

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2016, 06:14 am »
PM sent

rooze

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm »
Anyone using Odyssey amps with Merlin VSM's ?

Any feedback on this pairing?

Thanks ...

Ultralight

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2016, 11:26 am »
I suggest you check out the Fritz speakers.  He may be in your neck fo the woods and may be willing to give you a live demo in your own home.  I've been very impressed by Fritz's work for 2 way speakers.

UL

I'm slowly edging my way into the "lower high end" section of this hobby, and after reading many rave reviews picked up a used Stratos power amp. I'm now in the market for speakers, max budget $2000 a pair, new or used. I know Odyssey have their own line of speakers (will definitely check out Syrens if I get the chance) but was curious what others here have enjoyed? Floor standing recommendations for a smallish listening room (15'x15') would be ideal. I like all genres, but it's important they can thump to dynamic rock and electronica tracks. I love deep bass and clear separation between instruments. Thanks!

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2016, 02:05 am »
Merlin's are great, Fritz's as well...actually, while being partial to my own ( duhhh) the amps are really good with a wide variety of speakers out there...not a silver bullet though as there are stinky matches as well (in my own opinion)...when in doubt, call me......

Hadro

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2016, 03:19 pm »
My Totem Hawks soar with my Odyssey monos. Amazing sound!

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2016, 03:32 pm »
Odyssey can make this sound good  :thumb:

AlTran

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2016, 04:51 pm »
Fritz did stopped by 2 times and brought his speakers into my room to match with the Odyssey setup. My friends and I were stunned. But Fritz 's jaw was dropping. This is totally what I am assuming in my own thoughts, Fritz was surprised how good his speakers sound with the Odyssey amps. Amongst those Fritz brought over, my favorite would be his REV 7 & second is Carbon 7 SE. 

Wizard454

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2016, 12:28 am »
I have run Paradigm 60v2's with mono extreme SE++'s (great match) and now PMC PB1i's with the Kismet mono's ( with every upgrade possible) with even greater success. The PMC simply love the power/current of the big mono's. I think you would be hard pressed to find any top grade speaker that wouldn't work and sound spectacular with Odyssey power driving them.