Vapor Audio NEW JOULE

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Vapor Audio NEW JOULE
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2015, 11:13 am »
Tommy, the vinyl took 35 years, the cabinets were a trip to Scandinavian Designs, who are out of business now, but similar to IKEA--glad you like it, the records really help tame a live room. I just ordered the first of a batch of sound insulation that will go around room to tame it some more.  Of the 4 different speaker systems that i have had in this room, the Joules are the only ones that really excite the room to the point where I need more baffling.

Back to Pete and Ryan, please tell the owner of the new Joules that Seadogs, Speadspectrum, DPatters, me and all the other Joule owners that we welcome him to the fold, and hope that s/he has a much fun with them as we have had with ours.

phil

The new owner is this gentleman . . .

http://www.dagogo.com/author/doug-schroeder

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2015, 11:26 am »
Does that imply a pending review?

spreadspectrum

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2015, 04:09 pm »

Man, I hope so. I would love to read his comments, as his review of the Nimbus really cemented my plans to pursue the Joule.

Beautiful finish too, BTW.

dpatters

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm »
God's Joy to all,
I don't post much here, mostly observing. This likely will be my only post for now; I have a lot going on, and I plan on an Owner's Review of the Joule speakers under discussion here. However, for the benefit of those interested, as a reviewer I was drawn to the powerful performance of the Vapor speakers. Ryan and I discussed and agreed upon every aspect of the build out of this speaker. This was more than a year long project in which every aspect of the Joule has been revisited. Ryan and I agreed upon the Verastarr internal cabling after I heard the Perfect Storm at AXPONA, which utilized Verastarr cabling. I pushed for more massive gauge internal cabling, and I believe the team at Vapor agrees it was a good move.

I will look forward to fleshing out the nuances of the "Perfect Joule" in the months ahead. Don't look for the article to appear at Dagogo.com immediately, as I have sizable number of things on my "to do" list, but it will be done eventually. Regarding the constant development of Vapor speakers, I believe that this perfectly dovetails with the custom build philosophy of Vapor, and I do not believe it will unduly hurt resale of the speakers Vapor makes, as their performance and appearance should command a premium.

Welcome to the Vapor Joule club Doug.  I knew you have had your build in the pipe line for a long time and figured that it would be fully tricked out!!
It was hearing the Nimbus at RMAF 2014 and reading your review on the Nimbus at Dagogo.com that led me to teaming with Ryan and Pete for the Joule Blacks that I own.

Can't wait to hear your "owner's review" in the future.

Don P.

Factorz

« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2015, 08:30 pm »
I had the opportunity to spend some time with these speakers last night and all I can say is wow! Build quality is top notch and the sound these produced was outstanding. Sounds like there is a review in the works so I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder so I will just say I was beyond impressed.

I have now had the pleasure to hear the Perfect Storms, Joules, Nimbus, Derecho, and my own pair of Cirrus Blacks. Ryan and Pete have really built a great family of speakers. Well done!

fex02

« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm »
Doug, your article tweaked my interest in Vapor , when i decided to buy my last set of speakers !THANK YOU
THE JOULE'S just keep getting better.!
ps Ryan designed some very affordable surrounds for me.They are not on the website, but, command a listen.had 2 made when i ordered my Joule's for 5.1 ht.I now have 2 more for 7.1 ht.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2015, 02:49 am »
Thanks for the words from the Vapor crew, here's a couple more shots of Doug's pair. 

And I should mention, that even though Doug is a reviewer, he purchased this pair of speakers.  Doug's been around, heard it all, and we're honored that he's chosen hop on-board the Vapor train. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:09 am »

Doing a review or not is completely up to Doug.  In no way was he accommodated in order to get a review, but I imagine he's going to love them so much he'll feel compelled. 

pconley2

« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2015, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for the words from the Vapor crew, here's a couple more shots of Doug's pair. 

And I should mention, that even though Doug is a reviewer, he purchased this pair of speakers.  Doug's been around, heard it all, and we're honored that he's chosen hop on-board the Vapor train. 

Ryan, these look like they are covered in Sapaele, slightly different color from mine, but same general look, congrats these look wonderful.

Phil

stlrman

« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2015, 06:25 pm »
Is that a waveguide around the woofer? I have only seen them on tweeters before.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2015, 06:31 pm »

Ryan, these look like they are covered in Sapaele, slightly different color from mine, but same general look, congrats these look wonderful.

Phil

You're right, your pair is more pure red.  This pair we tried to not add much color, just a bit of brown/red mix to contrast nicely with the reddish brown Aston Martin paint.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2015, 06:34 pm »
Is that a waveguide around the woofer? I have only seen them on tweeters before.

Would you believe me if I said it was  :lol:

Seriously though, with a woofer crossed over at 300hz, the wavelengths are huge.  So a waveguide to have any impact on them at all would also have to be huge, like at least 4' diameter.  So no, this doesn't act as a waveguide.  It's purely for aesthetic reasons, but I think accomplishes that goal perfectly.  To make the square'ish bottom cabinet blend with the curvy top cabinet, we created those 3D pieces for the bottom cabinet to give elegant curves as well.

electricbear

« Reply #32 on: 25 Sep 2015, 08:24 pm »
I've had the pleasure to listen to Fex02's pair in his home. I've been involved in the AV industry for nearly 20 years and in that time I've heard many hundreds of super expensive systems in peoples homes. The sound that I heard in Fex02's living room is right up there with the very best of them. I came away very impressed and rather jealous.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 29 Sep 2015, 03:38 pm »
I've had the pleasure to listen to Fex02's pair in his home. I've been involved in the AV industry for nearly 20 years and in that time I've heard many hundreds of super expensive systems in peoples homes. The sound that I heard in Fex02's living room is right up there with the very best of them. I came away very impressed and rather jealous.

No need to be jealous Tim, we are still making more  :wink:

douglas_schroeder

« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2015, 12:10 am »
Well, seeing as how the editing function for virtual systems is dead in the water over at Audiogon, I'll comment here.  I was going to do an update and post pics there; will eventually.

My pics never look as good as Ryans! But, hey, he's supposed to be a pro at it, whereas, I'm just semi-pro.  LOL  Seriously, a good capture of the finish.

Simply put, the Joule has fulfilled my expectations for it. I took a gamble on a speaker I had never heard (Joule), then spending over a year with Ryan discussing the entire buildout for a new speaker I'd never heard (version 3). Risky? Yeah, but one has to live a little, eh?  Heheheh

Tonight we mourn the passing of the Nimbus White. When I entered into this excursion with Ryan, Pete and the Vapor team I had the normal amount of jitters, concerns, etc. My biggest concern would be that despite all his reassurances Ryan would be wrong, and the Nimbus sound would be quite close to the Joule 3. It isn't. Ryan is absolutely correct; he told me that even though I loved the Nimbus, and especially the funky look, he likes the appearance of the Joule better. I couldn't see it months ago, but now I do. In one word the change in my love is due to performance. I'll let go of the cool looks for a boatload more performance. The finish, too, is far more cosmopolitan.

As I said, I do lament the passing of the Nimbus White; it's dead to me. Tonight, within the hour, Ed Rosenquist, the maker of the Nimbus cabinet, comes to relieve me of this pair I traded in for partial payment on the Joule White 3. It passes on to Ed and back to Vapor. I shed a tear... (boo, hoo)
OK! LET'S PARTY! ON WITH THE TUNES VIA THE JOULE WHITE 3!   :thumb:

Ed is going to have a brief listen to the Joule White 3 as well, one of the few who have heard this version. He may have a comment or two eventually.

I apologize for a very unsatisfactory message not containing much description of the sound of the Joule White 3. What do you expect, that I'm going to tell you all how it sounds and not have you consult my review?  LOL

Blessings,
Doug

dpatters

« Reply #35 on: 30 Sep 2015, 11:48 am »
Doug,

It's great to hear that your speaker build is a success!  I took the same leap of faith in buying a speaker I had never heard. I've
had my Joules for almost a year now and I have never looked back. I smile everyday when I hit play.

Looking forward to your review.

Don P.

pconley2

« Reply #36 on: 30 Sep 2015, 03:02 pm »
Doug, as another person who was drawn to Vapor because of your Nimbus review, I want to thank you for your insight and hope, along with DPatters, that you enjoy your joules as much as I have enjoyed mine.  due to the Joules being in the house for a year, I am listening to a lot more music, a much wider variety of music and have returned to my long set aside collection of vinyl.  BTW, my Joules are essentially the same finish as yours, which as you say are cosmopolitan, mine are a little crazier, in something like fire engine red--they, shall we say, stand out in my room.
Phil

spreadspectrum

« Reply #37 on: 1 Oct 2015, 02:19 pm »
Doug, your speakers are gorgeous and I too am glad to read that you are acoustically pleased at this point.

I am another guy that took that "leap of faith," buying without listening first.  I have come to believe, however, that such leaps may not really be all that great in audio.  What I mean by that is: unless you can hear a piece of equipment on your own system and in your own room (clearly an advantage of a reviewer here), it is extremely difficult to really get at the character of sound of that component.  I have been both pleasantly surprised and disappointed with new equipment in my system, having first heard that equipment elsewhere.  I think going with your gut may not be all that bad at times, particularly if the designer knows what they are doing and addresses technical aspects of sound production that you buy into.  I think Vapor builds a pretty fine speaker in this regard.

In the end, the Joule added those magical qualities to sound reproduction in my listening room that keeps me engaged and coming back for more.  I trust yours will as well, and I look forward to your review!

Ryan F

douglas_schroeder

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2016, 01:09 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, Presenting...
my review of the Vapor Audio Joule White 3, now published at Dagogo.com!

spreadspectrum

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jan 2016, 01:58 am »
Wow!  Just superbly written, and extremely accurate portrayal of the Vapor experience.  Prospective buyers should read and remember what's in there during the wait.

While I drool over your Joule 3, I am happier than I could have imagined with my version 2, and it is the best decision I have made in audio.  I am treated to a such visual and aural delight every time I sit down to listen that it almost feels as though I am not worthy of it.  I haven't had the good fortune to listen to some of the big-buck speakers you have, and it feels even better now to hear what the Joule is capable of standing up against.

Now... to see about making the Raal sing WITHOUT the foam pads!

Ryan F.